PDA

View Full Version : Kindly Reminder About WEI And Posts

Sid_Vicious
12-22-2005, 01:16 PM
No ill intentions meant with this appeal,,,when you paste in the layout string for the Wei table, you'll do a lot of people a service by adding the Wei RSB table link in that post as well as the string. Sure each and everyone can and mostly may already have it in their favorites or on the desktop, but even I get on a community PC and have to go and re-discover it. Just a thought...sid

Drop1
12-22-2005, 06:00 PM
I would be happy to do what you suggest,but I don't know how. If you tell me, it would be my pleasure to learn.

Rod
12-23-2005, 12:10 AM
Go to this link, Wei (http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/) put in your favorites, then when you post copy the addy, then hit URL, which is under your new post, a box pops up top left, paste the link in the box, then name it wei, hit ok, it adds the link to your post. Short version. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod

Cornerman
12-23-2005, 07:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> No ill intentions meant with this appeal,,,when you paste in the layout string for the Wei table, you'll do a lot of people a service by adding the Wei RSB table link in that post as well as the string. Sure each and everyone can and mostly may already have it in their favorites or on the desktop, but even I get on a community PC and have to go and re-discover it. Just a thought...sid <hr /></blockquote>Does anyone have any pull with the web master to put it on the forum page as a link?

Fred

tdurden87
12-23-2005, 07:32 AM
It wouldn't work putting it on the favorites if he is at a library computer.

Drop1
12-23-2005, 11:39 AM
I will do it,and hope I don't screw up my post. I have it as an icon,on my desk top. It works great for me,but not for others. Thanks

heater451
12-23-2005, 01:11 PM
Wei also provides a link to download a self-extracting .exe, which has a copy of the Director file (.dcr&lt;---this is the actual table file), the html page which calls the table, and a "help" page.

When it extracts, the files are place in a "pooltable2" directory, in whatever other directory you place it. Then you can create a desktop shortcut (right-click---&gt;Create Shortcut), or just open it into the browswer, and create a Favorite/bookmark/whatever your browser calls it.

It's a little more work, but it ensures that you will have a local copy, in case the web copy ever goes away. Plus, it helps keeps Wei's isp account from hitting his download limit, if he has one, although it might take thousands of people hitting the site in one day to do it.

Anyway, here's the link: http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/%7Ewei/pool/pooltable2_help.html#download

============================

Rod
12-23-2005, 05:21 PM
I have it on my desk top as described. I have a green tree as the Icon. LOL Had it for years it seems. Sid's post mentions putting the wei shortcut in your post. Drop1 didn't know how so i explained, I think.

Personally I like the desk top much better. However since some go to the small effort, as a friendly reminder Sid asked we include the link. I say get off your lazy butt and put it on your desk top. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif LOL So we don't have to do your homework. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rod

Stretch
12-23-2005, 06:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cornerman:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> No ill intentions meant with this appeal,,,when you paste in the layout string for the Wei table, you'll do a lot of people a service by adding the Wei RSB table link in that post as well as the string. Sure each and everyone can and mostly may already have it in their favorites or on the desktop, but even I get on a community PC and have to go and re-discover it. Just a thought...sid <hr /></blockquote>Does anyone have any pull with the web master to put it on the forum page as a link?

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

Excillent suggestion Fred. St.

Drop1
12-23-2005, 07:42 PM
I'm still doing something wrong. The html is disabled would that have anything to do with my problem,or is my problem just not connecting the dots.

Rod
12-23-2005, 08:12 PM
I know little about that stuff. Someone else will come along with the answer. Did you go to heaters link and download the file?

Can you open this link?
http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable.html

If so you could put in your favorites and just use it when needed. You posted a diagram so it must work. When you open the link I sent set up any shot. Hit the red copy button lower right side of table. Then when you post to show the shot, right click the mouse in your post and select paste. The code will appear.

When you want to see a shot someone else posted, copy the code from their post, then hit the green paste button. It will say do you want to provide the contents of your clipboard to this movie, click ok twice and you'll see the shot.

I'm not sure where your having a problem, with the downloaded file from Heater or just entering the code.

Rod

heater451
12-24-2005, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
. . .Does anyone have any pull with the web master to put it on the forum page as a link?

Fred <hr /></blockquote>I thought that they were going to test embedding in the pages, years ago, but I'm probably thinking about something else. I would guess that they would want a signed release to use it--even though I remember the website having a general one.

If they got the legals out of the way, they could host it, instead of linking it. Then again, if people took the time to download it themselves, then BD wouldn't have to bother---besides, just how much should they provide for free anyway?

==========================

heater451
12-24-2005, 06:40 PM
D1, I sent you a PM, but decided to post this publicly (edited), in case anyone needs it. It's mostly a repeat of what's already been posted, and you can get the instructions directly from the Wei site. The important part, as it relates to what I think your issue is, is the stuff in <font color="blue">blue</font color>

The "HTML disabled" message is just so that people can't post HTML directly---the bulletin board (bb) has that capability, but they don't allow it. They do allow BBCode--which is the markup you see around, say bold text, which would be "[b^]bold[/b^]&lt;---remove the carets ("^"), for it to work.

To post a Wei diagram, you do it with the code from the table, and don't post a picture itself. For example, if I want to diagram a shot of say, 8-ball, corner pocket, I would do this:

1) Open up a new browser window, with the table fully set up.
2) Drag the balls that I don't need off the table, and drag the cue ball and the 8-ball where I want them, and drag the arrows where they're needed.
3) Click the "Copy" button, to the lower-right of the table. This copies the necessary code to the Windows clipboard.
4) Go to the post message page for the CCB, and past the code into the message box. It would look like this (although I removed the space after the open parenthesis and before the close one--which is optional):

START(%HI6H7%PP2U5%UJ6J4%VO7T2%WD8D8%XH9H1)END

Now, to view the shot, you would do this:

1) Select all the text, including "START" and "END".
2) Open a new browser window, with the Wei table. The table can have any shot in it already.
3) Click the "Paste" button, and "OK"the two following dialogs
4) View the completed diagram.

Remember, you have to "transport" shots to and from the table in the code, using "copy" to grab a diagram, and "paste" to display one. You never actually show the table in the post. (However, it could be done, if the HTML were enabled, or you take a screengrab of the table, and post it to your personal webspace--if you have one--and then link to it, with the BBCode.

<font color="blue"> ***Wait--I just re-read your message, and noticed something---The Wei table can be coded into a web-page (html), with a shot diagrammed intact, but you would have to embed the code into the web-page itself, and then post it to a website, and then provide a link to that. Unless you plan to keep the shot up there, for an article or something, there's no point in doing that.***</font color>

Just use the code from the table to post the shot. If people know how to use the Wei table, then they can view the shot to provide their opinions/answers.

===========================