PDA

View Full Version : Kingdom Billiards - Good or Bad?

Hud
12-22-2005, 02:23 PM
Has anyone heard anything about Kingdom Billiards? Their site (at http://www.kingdombilliards.com) seems to indicate that they produce a really nice table at a great price. Of course, websites and salespeople promises often turn out to be pretty empty, so I wanted to see if anyone has actually purchased anything or heard about them.

They advertise an 8ft all hardwood (maple) meeting all of the strictest construction details (3 piece 1" slate, full-profile K-66 cushions, assembled at the factory, etc. ) for $1400.

I have played pool since I was a kid, but this will be my first one to buy. I am looking for a quality table at a good price (aren't we all). From reading this board, it sounded like I should probably buy a used one, but when I found the advertisement for Kingdom Billiards, it seemed too good to be true.

I appreciate any feedback you have.

Thanks!
Hud

Pizza Bob
12-22-2005, 05:48 PM
<<but when I found the advertisement for Kingdom Billiards, it seemed too good to be true.>>

Can't say specifically about Kingdom billiards....but you were on the right track to begin with. To my way of thinking a used, brand name, commercial grade table is always preferable to the no-name bargains. Just my $.02

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Drop1
12-22-2005, 06:10 PM
Where are the tables made?

Hud
12-22-2005, 07:43 PM
Thanks Pizza Bob and Drop1 for the quick feedback!

The web site did not say where they were made. But I looked up their "parent" company, "TLC Agency Inc". It also owns another "subsidiary" called "Generation Billiards" which looks very similar to the "Kingdom Billiards". Anyway, the "Generation Billiards" site has the following blip:

"We are directly connected to the plant over seas that manufacturers Generation Tables. Our quality control agent, Frank, lives at the factory and spends his days insuring that all tables are built to the BCA industry standard and that all of the Generation Billiard tables are constructed with exquisite craftsmanship and fine detail."

Okay, at this point, I've got about a dozen red flags jumping up in my face (although, I must admit I am completely ignorant in this area). I mean I know that I can trust Frank to make sure they build a quality table, and with a parent company named "TLC Agency Inc", I am sure that I will be treated with tender loving care, but unless I can find someone who has actually purchased one and lived to tell about it, I think I'll go back to looking for a used well-known brand. Of course, if anyone has some more words of wisdom, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks again!
Hud

Billy
12-23-2005, 09:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Hud:</font><hr> Has anyone heard anything about Kingdom Billiards? Their site (at http://www.kingdombilliards.com) seems to indicate that they produce a really nice table at a great price. Of course, websites and salespeople promises often turn out to be pretty empty, so I wanted to see if anyone has actually purchased anything or heard about them.

They advertise an 8ft all hardwood (maple) meeting all of the strictest construction details (3 piece 1" slate, full-profile K-66 cushions, assembled at the factory, etc. ) for $1400.

I have played pool since I was a kid, but this will be my first one to buy. I am looking for a quality table at a good price (aren't we all). From reading this board, it sounded like I should probably buy a used one, but when I found the advertisement for Kingdom Billiards, it seemed too good to be true.

I appreciate any feedback you have.

Thanks!
Hud <hr /></blockquote>

I agree with Pizza Bob - especially if you have time on your hands - you can always find some top grade commercial table that will last a lifetime sooner or later

this would be a decision that seems hard to swallow now but with a quality used table in the near future you'll never regret the wait 10 years from now

jmo

Hud
12-23-2005, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the input, Billy.

I don't have any time constraints, so I do have the luxury to find a good deal.

I'm sure there has already been a post on this (and if there is, feel free to blast me, or if you can point me to it, that would be even better), but is there currently a "short list" of used tables to keep an eye out for (or new ones as well)? I would like to keep the total purchase under $2,000, but if there is a "sweet spot" for a good table that goes above that, I can go higher. I looked on the "Newbies" area and saw some really good posts, but I never found a list of "well-known", quality tables, that you "can't go wrong" buying (for example, I've seen the name Olhausen tossed around a lot, but I'm sure there are others).

Any other advice you have to give, I'd appreciate.

Thanks!
Hud

Pizza Bob
12-24-2005, 06:55 AM
Hud:

The used commercial table that you will encounter with some regularity is the Brunswick Gold Crown (GC), as these are what are used in the majority of pool rooms across the country - plus this model has been around since 1961.

There ae four generations of the GC, and to my way of thinking, the desirability of the particular generation (from best liked to least) would be GCII, GCI, GCIV and GCIII. They are all good tables, regardless of generation and any would serve your purpose. They were made in both 9' and 8' versions, although the former is more prevalent. You should be able to find one within your price range - although it depends on what that includes - moving &amp; set-up? All acessories? Recover w/Simonis or like cloth? So there are variables to be considered.

Good hunting and have fun. Merry Christmas!

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Hud
12-24-2005, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the great info, Pizza Bob!