PDA

View Full Version : pool tables

wannabeplayer
12-23-2005, 11:10 AM
i am looking to get a new table to replace the older one i have now...there are so many different brands out there but from all that i can gather Olhausen is the one to get. I have a older cheap brunswick now and after comparing the two manufacturers i think that i would rather buy american than import and i am looking for import from this board.Thanks

iacas
12-23-2005, 12:15 PM
I just bought a new table (not replacing anything) and went with Olhausen. I imagine I'll be happy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

billiardsgod
01-07-2006, 09:52 AM
Brunswick is still the best, despite their being made in China. Much like you, I also believe in buying an American made product if the cost is the same and the product is of comparable quality. For my money, Brunswick is still exponentially better. But before you make up your mind, take a look at Connelly Billiards. They build a solid table and they are all-American made in Tucson, Arizona. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ohplayer
01-10-2006, 08:44 AM
In my opinion Olhausen is head and shoulders above the rest. However, I would definitely stick with companies that care enough to make their products here (Olhausen, AE Schmidt, Vitalie & Connelly, etc.)

wannabeplayer
01-16-2006, 08:11 AM
i agreed with what the last poster said and i went with olhausen. I read what billiardsgod said and went and looked at Brunswick and i was not sold on the construction of the table. Then i played on both tables at each store and the Brunswick seemed to have a thump where i hit the ball into the cushion and it was louder when i hit different places on the cushion. The Olhausen was so quiet that i could hardly hear it. And the way the construction was as compared to the Brunswick.....no comparison at all. Matter of fact that unless i was going to spend 5k and above, that would have been the only way that the construction was close to equal to an Olhausen. I am a carpenter by trade and can see the difference of how they are built. So anybody else that reads this post get an Olhausen....period.

billiardsgod
01-24-2006, 01:33 PM
"So anybody else that reads this post get an Olhausen....period." Something sounds fishy there!

Are you an Olhausen rep by chance? Did you look at the Connelly line?

billiardsgod
01-24-2006, 01:37 PM
"So anybody else that reads this post get an Olhausen....period." Something sounds fishy there!

Are you an Olhausen rep by chance? LOL. Geez, you guys are incorrigible.

wannabeplayer
01-24-2006, 04:19 PM
dude whats your malfunction....I gues your "Brunswick is still the best" blast was not in any way partial to any brand huh.....simple fact is as i shopped around i learned a lot about tables and knowing general construction in houses the Brunswick wasnt up to par....now if i wanted to spend a whole lot of money then the construction was better. The Connelly table was nice but it was priced a lot higher. In construction it was equal. They both have the good points and bad points but how you can equate Brunswick with Connelly....The Connelly was much better built than the Brunswick. Hell after looking at them why would i buy a Brunswick when the Legacy was built the same for half the price....i can buy a cheaper one yet online. And i wish i were an Olhausen Rep...im sure they make some fat $$$. But then again with a name like Billiardsgod....you know all. Freakin arrogant poindexters.

billiardsgod
01-25-2006, 11:18 AM
Geez. I hope I never buy a house you oversaw the construction of.

wannabeplayer
01-25-2006, 11:53 AM
You are probably right because you couldnt afford a house i oversaw...But then again i dont build double wides. And i dont build my houses in China like the brand of pool table that you are representing.

billiardsgod
01-25-2006, 03:01 PM
No. I say that because you were unable to discern how Brunswick tables are still built better than anyone else's, despite your background.

wannabeplayer
01-25-2006, 03:40 PM
how can you say that they are better built? They are brought to the house in a box....with a buttload of hardware. And this is better how? The guy that worked in the store i bought at showed me the difference. And they carried both Olhausen and Brunswick. They took me into the warehouse and showed me all the parts and pieces and you are going to tell me that that is better. Is Brunswick better than Connelly? I think the Connelly is equal to an Olhausen. The manager told me that they keep Brunswick around for the name and they havnt built a quality table in 20 years. When a customer looks at a Brunswick it was easy to sell them an Olhausen. This guy had both brands in stock and so it wasnt that he didnt have a Brunswick i wanted.And the tables were about the same price. When a store owner tells you that he wouldndt have a Brunswick but if i wanted one he would sell it to me...that tells me a whole lot. Here in Kentucky we know quality and would rather have a great product rather than a dressed up horse turd.

billiardsgod
01-26-2006, 10:51 AM
The Brunswick tables require more hardware since they have K-D (Knock-Down) cabinets. They build them this way to accomodate the current trends of life where people tend to move more often then they use to. That is also the reason why you see more three-piece slate tables than one-piece slate tables.

I am sure that the "store owner" makes more money by selling Olhausen tables due to their notoriously high markups which is why he persuaded you to buy one.

wannabeplayer
01-26-2006, 11:19 AM
i see what you are saying but it doesnt make sense. the legs and slate and parts come off this table and it is very movable. In my estimation...those tables are in pieces as compared to a table base that is assembled. An assembled base costs more because of the time to build it. You can save a buttload of money when the parts are there and you leave it to be assembled. That is 1 less step. And as to the high mark up that you stated, the Brunswick and olahusen were virtually the same price. so lets compare...the Olhausen i bought has a chasis that is assembled, the Brunswick is in many pieces that has to be put together. The Olhausen is made in the USA and the Brunswick made in China. Just the two factors alone tells me that Olhausen put a lot more $$$ into the table than Brunswick. And by the way ...at the store the Olhausen was less expensive than the Brunswick. So talk abot a higher mark up...If anybody has a notoriously high price its Brunswick. Just having it made in China cut the cost of building it in half. But yet they are almost the same price? Cmon....who you tryin to Bull s--t. If anything the Brunswick should be priced a lot lower than other brands. But they arent. It seems to me that you all at brunswick are gettin fat and sassy.

dad8
01-26-2006, 11:55 AM
This is why brunswick builds tables the way they do.Lets say you purchased a Olhausen or Connelly pre-assembled frame from the builder.Well you get it home and because the frame is to large to make a turn in your hall way to get into the room ,even having the frame on its edge you can't get it to round the corner to your billiard room.So what do you do You could have order that table from Olhausen or Connelly with the frame disassembeled but that whould mess up every structor value they sold you on about frame constuction.Or lets say they damage one end of your table now they haft to replace the whole base frame because of one scratch or dent on the end of the table.Brunswick because all therre frames come K/D they can get the table in the room with no problems even up spiral stairs and if the frame is damaged they can replace that end seal with out the cost of replacing the hole baseframe.So if your a pool table dealer and your delivery crew just damaged your Olhausen or Connelly base frame you just lost money the cost of a hole baseframe.If they damaged the Brunswick frame you can replace the damaged part or side with out the expence of replaceing the frame.

wannabeplayer
01-26-2006, 12:09 PM
i see the point but the Olhausen that i bought has a base chassis that can be taken apart in case it doesnt go down the stairs....the store owner showed me how with around 10 screws the whole thing comes apart in half in case it doesnt fit. He said that they do it often in this part of the country since there are a lot of older homes. He said his guys can have the frame apart and put back together in 15 minutes. And that being the way it is built then it seems to me that i can change a piece if it got damaged. I have put together many different things and even in building a house, we buy the rafters pre-assembled....sure we could build them but if all that company does is build rafters then they got it down right. Why not buy them put them up and not have to go back and fix them. I see this pooltable the same way. Let the company build it and its done right. And as to the more hardware....just because a house has more nails in it doesnt mean its better, it just means that there were more screw ups in building it.

dad8
01-26-2006, 12:28 PM
Brunswick frames are easy to assmeble they only go to gether one way and all the screws are machined screws metal to metal not metal to wood that strip much easyer if you use to mutch torq.Of course you could cross thread that machine screw thats,But all you need to replace that metal insert is a allen wrench.I guess you could use a larger diameter wood screw on the other table.Anyway's all 3 companies have there way of building things I whouldn't call any of them cheap.I think Brunswick has a smart sollution to frame contruction when it come to replacement.

wannabeplayer
01-26-2006, 12:57 PM
you make a valid point. But how often am i gonna need to change a part on the chassis? And if they made it that way to change a part on the chassis, what does that tell ya? That they might have a problem with the chassis. But when building a house.....if i can get the part pre assembled then the house goes up easier with less problems. If i have to put all pieces together then it takes a lot longer and leaves me prone to human error...which is something any kinda of wood worker would like to avoid. I have installed 100s of kitchen cabinets and they are pre assembled..i dont want to imagine if they were all in pieces and they have to be assembled on the job. Now once in a while i do have to take one apart to fix it or fit it but more often than not that isnt the case. and if i based the construction of leaving them in pieces because of the occasional few i had to take apart....It would be a foolish decision. That may be the way they see as a solution but if you look at the fine print about it...it saves them a whole lot of money in labor( from 25cents an hour to 18cents lol), shipping is cheaper because you can get more on a boat and storage is easier. That dog just dont hunt.

dad8
01-26-2006, 03:28 PM
I hope you never haft to change a part on a pool table.But as a supplier wouldn't it be alot more cost effective if you only had to replaced the dammaged part rather then whole thing.And pre assembled frames what about the stree on the joints from being bounced around on the back of a delivery truck to the dealer and then to your home.I know having a building back ground aswell joints seperate or could seperate . I've seen it on Connelly and Olhausen Gold west & AE Smidts all use preassembled frames.And this is a common problem they all have.I'm sure you have run across this problem with pre assembled cabinets.

wannabeplayer
01-26-2006, 04:22 PM
sure i have but to want to order it unassenbled would make no sense. I may have to fix a problem when it fets here but at least i dont have to start from scratch and start to assemble everything. Stuff does happen to merchandise but to that doesnt mean i have to replace the whole thing. If doors are damaged i can replace the door. If corners are loose then i can slighly seperate and reglue and clamp. But if there is a whole in the side of it then you are right, im screwed.....but the chances of that happening is maybe 7%. So i dont think i would want to assemble in the house if 93% of the time the parts are good. Are you in the pool table buisness? If you are then why would you want a product that has to be set up from scratch? At least on that Olhausen chassis i can see the sides of it before they set it up. That Brunswick table was in a box....concealed damage? Who knows. And cold there be a surprise when you came to the house? I see your side of it but i dont agree. Thats why we all have opinions. good chattin with you...but that billiardsgod dude was an ass.

billiardsgod
01-27-2006, 01:51 PM
Mr. "Wannabe":

It is obvious to me that your being a builder makes you look at the situation from the installer's point of view. As a pool table installer, I too would prefer to assemble a table that takes less time.

However, as a purchaser, I would rather buy one that is better built for the long run. Just like anything else, if you want a better quality product, it takes time to build.

Good luck with your "building." And God bless your poor customers.

<font color="blue"> </font color> Shortcuts and high volume never produce high quality.

wannabeplayer
01-27-2006, 02:21 PM
so tell me how is the table betterbuilt? You keep saying it is with no valid reason to back it up. is it better built because it is? you seem like a knowledgeable person but you belittle me for stating an obvious reason why that brunswick table is a POS. Your evidently a salesman or pretend to be one......sell on why its better built with facts. And you speak of shortcuts......Made in China is a huge shortcut and leaving it in pieces is a shortcut. So everything that you accuse me of is exactly what your dear Brunswick does.

dad8
01-27-2006, 02:37 PM
So lets say your having a Pre assembeled pool table delivered to your home and you notice a seperation at the corner of the table do you send it back or let the delivery crew put a little wood glue on the problem or maybe an extra screw to pull the gap back together with the wood glue.Do you think it would look good to the customer.Or how would you explain that to the customer.Hey this pool table is seperating at the corner just this one corner, I'm going to fill the gap with glue and put it back together and tighten these wood screws that pulled when the frame tweeked to cause the seperation.

wannabeplayer
01-27-2006, 02:56 PM
i know that when we deliver stuff we check it out before delivery. and no it doesnt look good to the customer to repair on the spot. so on that i can see your point...and its a valid one....but if that happens 10% of the time then thats 90% that it doesnt happen. When the owner of the store took me into the back store room he had multiple tables of the same lined up. I would think that they would make sure that they bring one that is not damaged...dad8, what happens when your table is brought out in the box, you open it and it is damaged. You can say that because the table is this way i can go back to the shop and get a part. So why couldnt they see that a corner was damaged at the house, return back to the shop and get a whole new chassis? It would take the same amount of time and money. Olhausen has their selling point and so does Brunswick. Its up to the consumer like me to make the decision of what construction is best. I have a beautifull solid cherry desk in my office that we brought in and it was fully assenbled minus the top....why not IKEA? I can see why you would want a table in pieces by looking at the store i bought from. it looks to be a pain in the ass to store those Olhausen frames. And those Brunswick were nice and neat in stacks.

wannabeplayer
01-27-2006, 03:47 PM
oh and billiardsdog....my customers are blessed because they didnt buy junk and beacause I can explain the difference and not just tell them it is because it is. i have tried to get you to have a battle of the wits, or in this case facts but i can see you unarmed. dad8 i enjoy your point counter points and at least you have something to say and valid points and not just "it is because it is".

billiardsgod
01-29-2006, 11:17 AM
Facts, you say?

Brunswick Billiards - been building pool tables with Liftime Warranties since 1845. That is right, for one hundred-sixty years. I think their Lifetime Warranty speaks louder than anyone else's since their tables have withstood the test of time.

Another fact - Olhausen (pronounced old-haz-ben) has a clause in their warranty whereby AFTER ONE YEAR ALL SHIPPING COSTS ARE BILLED TO THE POOL TABLE OWNER.

That can't be good, can it?

wannabeplayer
01-29-2006, 01:03 PM
what was built 165 years ago and what is being built currently is not the same. So whoopie do that they have been building for 165 years. From all i have seen Olhausen is the largest in the world so doesnt that make ( chinese accent) blunslick a old has been? if my aunt had balls shed be my uncle! You have no facts or any kinda basis to what you say. And so what that the owner may have pay the cost of shipping of the damaged part not the whole table. I looked up the Blunlick warraty and the things that sticks out of that "awesome warraty" is "failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance" WHAT THE HECK IS THAT? what has to be done? polishing, brushing the cloth, oil lube, tune ups.....what? That seems to me like it is the "mother of all clauses". why is the rail cracked? Uh too much moisture in the room! Why is my leg cracked? uh too hot in the room! Why are my cushions hard? Uh too much mold in the room! Cmon...that warraty from is not worth the paper it is written on and you know it...it seems to me that you have sour grapes that Ol haz been has gotten into your shorts quite a few times. I think the has been is blunslick and its probably gonna get worse for you/ them. Good luck to you and always know that at #2 you can only look up! I am glad to have bought an olhausen and i am proud to have purchased American.

billiardsgod
01-29-2006, 01:10 PM
Never mind the pool tables. You need help. I am being very serious. Please get the help that you need.

wannabeplayer
01-29-2006, 01:53 PM
I know i need help.....but if you are the voice, face or person behind Brunswick sales...you need a new profession. i can see why Old Has Been kickin the the dogs tail....cause you corporate guys know nothing about pool tables either.

dad8
01-29-2006, 02:44 PM
Olhausen move alot of pool tables in the Us and out side the Us.I spent some time in San Diago a few months back and met a few people with Olhausen corperate and I can tell you they do sell alot of tables but not even close to the numbers Brunswick is turning out, not yet at least.Olhausen is growing and fast,and there making some move's to cut cost but they have a way's to go to reach Brunswick's numbers.Look at the difference in the product that come's from China and elseware Brunswick and Olhausen are not the biggest anymore maybe they have the names but thats it.Buyer's are not affraid to purchase China products like 5 or 10 years ago.They both better find new way's. You will be able to buy a nice table at Walmart soon.

wannabeplayer
01-29-2006, 05:20 PM
dad8: from all that i have read and had answered, Olhausen makes more pool tables than brunswick but that isnt the point. The point is that you are 100% correct and olhausen better get it together quick. Brunswick by shifting to China has saved a huge expense and olhausen by making here has a huge nut to crack. And more and more every day there is more chinese furniture brought into this country. Brunswick corp has a lot more money than olhausen...that i am sure of and they can withstand the barage of imports but can American MFGs....that we will find out soon.

rackem
01-29-2006, 10:49 PM
Olhausen is working on cutting costs alright. Where do you think they are getting their slate from? It ain't Italy. Could it be China? /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

wannabeplayer
01-30-2006, 01:32 AM
i dont know about that but the store i bought my table from had a pile that said italy on the side whreas the other pile said brazil.That is how they could tell what went where...as to saving money the stoe owner told me that olahusen is moving to my part of the country..Tennessee. That has to save them a buttload of $$$ compared to cali.

dad8
01-30-2006, 07:46 AM
I don't know anything about Olhausen using China slateI do know that the Brazilian's moved some machine's to Itali and they both have the same concerns about China moving into there market.From what I've herd China does not have the equipment to produce a quality pool table slate yet.

iacas
01-31-2006, 11:35 AM
WTF is wrong with the people in this thread? For cryin' out loud...

Olhausen uses OIS on ALL tables EXCEPT two models (IIRC), and on those you can buy the upgrade from Brazilian.

I could debate the other "facts" posted here, but it'd be a waste of time. This is ridiculous.

dad8
02-03-2006, 11:27 AM
7/8's inch OIS!!!! Where did you get your info on which is better?

dad8
02-03-2006, 12:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dad8:</font><hr> 7/8's inch OIS!!!! Where did you get your info on which is better? <hr /></blockquote>
hey Erik I just went to your website. Thought you were an actual olhuasen customer. Come to find out differently.

iacas
02-03-2006, 06:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dad8:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dad8:</font><hr> 7/8's inch OIS!!!! Where did you get your info on which is better? <hr /></blockquote>
hey Erik I just went to your website. Thought you were an actual olhuasen customer. Come to find out differently.
<hr /></blockquote>
You didn't find out differently, no, sorry. Wrong-o.

I am an Olhausen customer. The ad's there until Tony @ Talisman can send me his ad to take its place. The Olhausen ad is a space-filler. I didn't contact Olhausen and they don't know the ad is there. It's there because I'm a satisfied customer.

You know what they say about assuming? You're guilty. Sorry. Perhaps next time you'll ask before making an "assumption - umption" out of yourself?