PDA

View Full Version : 14:1 solo

TouchUps
12-23-2005, 10:07 PM
If you are just trying to see how many you can run off, how do you start? Do you set up a break out ball and go from there? OR break soft as if you are an opponent and continue playing your invisible opponent until a ball is actually made and then start counting or what? Thanks.

qstroker2004
12-24-2005, 04:23 AM
I think the standard thing is to set up a nice break shot to get started. If you want to see how many you can run it is only fair to give yourself a reasonable break shot like the ones you will get on subsequent racks if you are shooting well.

dwhite

Rich R.
12-24-2005, 07:51 AM
I have done it both ways.

If I want to just jump in and get going, I set up a break shot and start.

The other method actually gives me practice with the break and playing safeties after the break, until there is a good shot available to open up some balls. Practice is necessary on points, other than pocketing balls, so it is all good.

killerstroke
12-24-2005, 08:13 AM
Unfortunately, I am only able to own a bar table but I still play 14:1. It does help me because the lack of space forces position play. Back to the subject. I like to start out by throwing all the balls on table with most of them below the side pocket. I will run them down to a break shot. This is where I change it up. I will rack all different kinds of racks. Rack 7 balls an throw the rest out. Next time rack the front 6. Rack them with a concentration of balls in the corners. I do play a straight pool league and my position play and break shots haveimproved. Seems to work for me on a bar table.

DickLeonard
12-24-2005, 08:20 AM
Rich R here is a method I used place three or four balls on the table without an obvious breakshot and by pocketing a ball billiard a breakshot. With practice and playing straight rail billiards you can control the outcome. Making it easier to run balls. My observation, led me to believe that most runs end in a safety instead of a missed shot at the Professional level.

I can't ever remember playing safety on the breakball. IF the Thought comes into my head I will post it.####

TouchUps
12-24-2005, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the replies. So far I have been doing the "play against an invisible opponent" method. When one of "us" leaves an opening for a shot then I start counting. This game is so hard. My high run so far sucks!

Rich R.
12-24-2005, 01:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TouchUps:</font><hr> This game is so hard. My high run so far sucks! <hr /></blockquote>Your not alone. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

eales
12-24-2005, 02:19 PM
Bob Jewett is sponsoring a straight pool contest at the Derby City Classic. This thread gives details.
DCC 14.1 contest (http://groups.google.com/group/rec.sport.billiard/browse_thread/thread/c1d5b7618e829d4/d9f58247007a9e5e?q=derby+city+classic+straight+poo l&amp;)

Contestants get cue &amp; 15th ball in hand to start their run.

Jim Eales

heater451
12-24-2005, 02:27 PM
Regardless of the game practiced, when practicing solo, I have also shot with two different styles, the fast, "wing it", kind of shooting, where you shoot mostly based on feel--just letting the stroke go. This often amounts to overpowering shots, from a little to a lot. The "opposing" style is slower, and more methodical, the way one **should** shoot. The upside is that you add a little bit of interest in practice, and you broaden your thinking about what works. The downside, if you don't get better at both styles, then you may be reinforcing bad habits--especially on the "fast" side. It also may throw your consistency out of whack.

Otherwise, you can play yourself both-handed, with your off-hand being the "opponent". You might even find that you get better with the off-hand at some point, as you can be paying more attention to your off-hand shots, and paying less to your natural-hand shots--because you already have confidence in those.

The tough part can be remembering which hand you are supposed to be shooting with at the time. I think it helps to swap everything, even chalking with the opposite hand---I try to move the cue to the other hand, after every miss.

Anyway, to address the original question, I echo Rich R, about starting with a standard break, because you get that bit of practice as well.

=================================