PDA

View Full Version : Little Red Hen

Deeman3
12-26-2005, 01:02 PM
The Little Red Hen-Modern Version

Once upon a time, on a farm in Texas, there was a little red hen who scratched about the barnyard until she uncovered quite a few grains of wheat.

She called all of her neighbors together and said, "If we plant this wheat, we shall have bread to eat. Who will help me plant it?"

"Not I," said the cow.

"Not I," said the duck.

"Not I," said the pig.

"Not I," said the ! goose.

"Then I will do it by myself," said the little red hen. And so she did; The wheat grew very tall and ripened into golden grain.

"Who will help me reap my wheat?" asked the little red hen.

"Not I," said the duck.

"Out of my classification," said the pig.

"I'd lose my seniority," said the cow.

"I'd lose my unemployment compensation," said the goo! se.

"Then I will do it by myself," said the little red hen, and so she did. At last it came time to bake the bread.

"Who will help me bake the bread! ?" asked the little red hen.

"That would be overtime for me," said the cow.

"I'd lose my welfare benefits," said the duck.

"I'm a dropout and never learned how," said the pig.

"If I'm to be the only helper, that's discrimination," said the goose.

"Then I will do it by myself," said the little red hen. She baked five loaves and held them up for all of her neighbors to see. They wanted some and, in fact, demanded a share. But the little red hen said, "No, I shall eat all five loaves."

"Excess profits!" cried the cow..

"Capitalist leech!" screamed the duck.

"I demand equal rights!" yelled the goose..

The pig just grunted in disdain..

And they all painted "Unfair!" picket signs and marched around and around the little red hen, shouting obscenities.

Then a government agent came, he said to the little red hen, "You must not be so greedy."

"But I earned the bread," said the little red hen.

"Exactly," said the agent. "That is what makes our free enterprise system so wonderful. Anyone in the barnyard can earn as much as he wants. But under our modern government regulations, the productive workers must divide the fruits of their labor with those who are lazy and idle,"

And they all lived happily ever after, including the little red hen, who smiled and clucked, "I am grateful, for now I truly understand," But her neighbors became quite disappointed in her. She never again baked bread because she joined the "party" and got her bread free.

And all the Democrats smiled. 'Fairness' had been established. Individual initiative had died, but nobody noticed; perhaps no one cared.....as long as there was free bread that "the rich" were paying for.

Bill Clinton is getting $12 million for his memoirs.

Hillary got $8 million for hers..

That's $20 million for memories from two people, who for eight years, repeatedly testified, under oath, that they couldn't remember anything.

IS THIS A GREAT COUNTRY, OR WHAT?

wolfdancer
12-26-2005, 02:34 PM
Rather then a tale about one person's struggling to succeed, while others around him, just wish to reap the benefits....
this reeks more of anti-union rhetoric. While it would seem ideal that workers should depend on just the benevolence of their just and fair employers.....history paints a bleaker picture.
It was common in the 1800's to get an injunction against striking employees, either fedaral marshalls or fedaralised Pinkerton enforcers would then attack and arrest the strikers.....if a few were killed...well, they were breaking the law,anyway.
One such incident is known as the "Colorado Mine Massacre"...where federal troups attacked the strikers emcampment and killed strikers, their wives and children.
Henry Ford's hired gunmen to fight against unionism is a well known story.
The Triangle Shirt Factory Fire in NYC, where the doors were locked to prevent employees from sneaking out for a break is another example of profit first, mentality. The Chicago Pullman strike and SF waterfront strike, the coal miner's strike under John L Lewis.....these were all heroic people striking for fair wages, and humane working conditions. there was still child labor permitted in the early 1900's
The pendulum may have swung too far though; there were union excesses, and the avg worker was receiving the princely sum equal to 1/50th of what the avg CEO was making.
Fortunately under Ronald Reagan, the first real blows against labor were initiated....air controller's fired, then dereg.began. the Unions lost their bargaining power.
Now a CEO makes 500 times the avg earnings.....and if the company loses money, a nice severance package, while the employees are asked to take another wage cut, to make up for his incompentence.
And now we have moved beyond that....we no longer need the American worker..not when there is cheap foreign labor available
And in this great equal opportunity country....who has the better chance to succeed....to go to med school, or a major university....the son of a Wal-Mart employee, or the son of a wealthy ind. Who would graduate from an accredited university with business contacts already established?
Sorry, but your little red hen story, belongs with Mao's little red book, out of touch with reality....The only difference I see between communism and the new two class society that we are moving towards, under republican , and yes, Democratic leadership....is that under communism, the woker toils for the "utopian state"...now they will toil, so that the upper class can increase thier wealth and power.
Don't be fooled by virtue of having a good job, deluded into thinking you belong to that "ruling" class.
Once the worker is "subdued".....you're next in line......
In fact, we don't even need American companies now......
The real growth in this country occurred when employees, paid a decent wage, were now "consumers" able to buy the products of the companies they were working for, rather then to just eek out a living, surviving on minimal food and shelter.
And my little red [censored] rooster would teach your little red hen a lesson about profit-sharing

pooltchr
12-26-2005, 05:07 PM
Dee...great post!!!

Wolf...
If the workers would get off their butts, apply themselves in school rather than count on a sports scholarship and 10 years playing pro sports for millions, they just might become more valuable to the big bad employeers. They might even be able to demand more than minimum wage...they could actually become valuable productive assets to their employer and to society. Who knows....they might find themselves in business for themselves and providing jobs for others!!!!
Oh wait...that can't happen....that would be "Free Enteprise"!!!
Steve

wolfdancer
12-26-2005, 06:26 PM
Sorry Steve, it's too late for that to happen....We used to be a great manufacturing country, good products with skilled labor, and a fair bargaining system that allowed wages to rise as the cost of living increased. we were also somewhat isolationist, in our wages/living standards, comp[ared with the rest of the world. Now the American worker, having to pay the high costs of living here, is being aksed to compete with wages of countries with completely different economic scales. A worker in India might survive well, on $10 a day....how can we compete?
Sure in theory everyone here can become a Doctor, Lawyer, or Indian Chief....in practice for everyone that makes it there are thousands that can't...economics, education, etc......not everybody can meet the academic standards of Princeton, or Stanford....of course if Daddy donates enough....
Like it or not, you depend on sales clerks, secretaries,meter readers, cab drivers,......and it is a damn shame that some of your tax money, has to be used to provide some basic services for these people...like fire,police protection, libraries, schools.
I think once one rises to a certain pay level....one shouldn't have to pay any taxes; wait, with the loopholes, they don't....it would be the Republican version of Shangra Lai

Gayle in MD
12-26-2005, 06:33 PM
I wonder how much Amramoff paid Tom Delay to block legislature which would outlaw our territories, such as the Marianna Islands, (which torture their employees, who work under horrific conditions, which include rape and lock down in sweltering temperatures,) and stop them from using the "Made In America" label, unless they practice humane working conditions.

Why bother insulting American workers, soon, there won't be any anyway, and Republicans won't have a platform, because we'll all be answering to China.

Gayle in Md.

Drop1
12-26-2005, 06:50 PM
Not bashing America's top schools,but application by foreign students has dropped,and many give a simple reason,they can get a better education in their own Countries. The average graduate of the Indian Institute of Technology,a series of schools set up by Nehru dating back to the early fifties, is better equiped for todays tecnology,than the top graduates of our best schools.

wolfdancer
12-27-2005, 12:13 AM
that's interesting...for such an impoverished country, they produce some brilliant mathematicians, and scientists.....

pooltchr
12-27-2005, 06:06 AM
What I'm hearing you say is that because we were so successful in building our economy, we can no longer compete with those countries who haven't been as successful?

We have been losing manufacturing jobs in this country for the past 60 years. Technology has changed the way the world operates. Where once you could have a job building a product by hand, now you can have a job operating the equipment that builds the same product. The jobs are still there...they are just very different than they were 50 years ago. We have to change with the times and learn to adjust. Our education system isn't as bad as many would have you believe. It does have it's problems, primarily the "dumbing down" of requirements to make sure everyone can pass. But the bottom line is there are too many who aren't motivated to learn. They want a free ride through school, and end up expecting a free ride through life. Why not? That's what we are teaching them!!!!
Steve