PDA

View Full Version : Stopping the dreaded wrist twist

recoveryjones
12-27-2005, 03:20 PM
The dreaded wrist twist is something that comes up for me(sometimes) on those long draw shots that are 7 ft apart or more.Shorter draw shots for the most part, give me no trouble at all.

Sometimes I can spread the balls 8ft apart and draw the cue ball the length of the table all the way back to the short rail from where I've started.To me there isn't a more satisfying shot in pool. Outside of the pro level (or strong shortstop) this shot seems to trouble a lot of players.

Anyway, I know the most logical answer would be to see a BCA instructor. This isn't possible for a lot of people because of various geographical(for me) or monetary reasons.

Does anyone have any tips, or drills regarding grip or line up on how to stop the dreaded wrist twist and what causes it to happen?
RJ

Scott_The_Shot
12-27-2005, 05:34 PM
Hi RJ, THe little "trick" I used to stop twisting my wrist was to treat my middle, ring, and pinky fingers like trigger fingers. What I mean by this is on my back stroke, those three fingers are very loose on the cue, while my index finger and thumb maintain "normal" grip pressure on the cue throughout the stroke. When I begin my forward swing I gradually increase the the pressure of my grip on the back three fingers through the stroke. At the moment of contact you will want to have approximately the same pressure on the back three fingers as you do on the thumb and index finger (this is not a choke hold grip btw). This is not an over exaggerated move either. It is a finesse move between the fingers. That is how I overcome the wrist twist FWIW.
Hope it helps,

airyago
12-28-2005, 12:18 AM
Hey RJ, I think Scott had some good advice. I'm not
a pro or anything, but I have had some real serious
wrist action problems that costed me in the clinch.
I played raquetball for 25 serious years til I hit
the 5-0 and turned to slower ball-bouncing. If you've
ever played RQB then you know that the last oppor-
tunity that one gets to fool his opponent is with
the wrist (curl in or out). I kept doing that with my
cue stroke! So kinda like Scott, but I found that I
could rest the butt handle on middle and ring finger
while pinching with thumb and forefinger (an adjustable
amount that remains constant thru the stroke) and
KEEP MY @#$% WRIST OUT OF THE ACTION! An ace bandage
worked well and got me started. Unlike Scott, I don't
add or subtract any pressure at my middle & ring fingers.
I let the momentum of the cue (mine's 22 oz) do its job.
And the Triangle(92) tip gives the cue ball a good pop.
Another thing. You've got to KNOW your target line
for the cue ball or your unsuredness will subconciously
make you flinch (poke, jab, twist, etc.). I got out my
trig books and MSExcel to work out an absolutely
perfect aiming technique that really works for me.
And its got calculated "throw" adjustments in it.
(I may write it up in a paper for BD but right now
my league team members are giving it a try. We'll see.)
What my aiming system does for me is it allows me
to POSITIVELY lock down the path of the cue ball
and I can concentrate on shooting in a straight
line (duh). I mean that's what I'm supposed to
be doing right? Shooting straight. If we can't
shoot straight then we don't need to be here.
Hope it helps. Good luck. 'ere-ya-go

airyago
12-28-2005, 01:47 AM
Up kinda late ain't ya RJ. 4:03am here. But I'm retired
and can sleep late as I want to. I just got to browsin.
Bit i gitttin sslleeeppp....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

airyago@yahoo.com 'ere-ya-go

wolfdancer
12-28-2005, 01:16 PM
I read your post and thought "Surely, he can't be serious. Maybe he scrapped one to many off of the side walls, or hit his head once too often diving for them "Squeakers"
And then I realised it was all a joke......nobody from Tenn. would be caught dead usng Excel, or even knowing what Excel is used for.Why the kinfolk alone would disown them.......
I can't imagine a mathematically based, Excel formulated aiming system, complete with adjustments, that would work anywhere, but on paper......unlike Hal's which work everwhere, but on paper....maybe you guys could get together.....

I only made one small adjustment to get rid of a wrist twist....which usually showed up on my attempts at long, hard draw shots.
I cradle the cue on my thumb joint, and try to keep the thumb straight, no finger shifting, no pressure adjusting, I'm lucky if I remember to do this....it's hard to twist, when the thumb is pointing straight down.
So what will you title your paper..."Pythagerus on Pool?"
If Mr. Houle happens to read your post, about your EXCEL-lent aiming system.....be prepared for all out war....lol
Hey, we'll all want to read about anything that we could adopt to help our own games.... good luck with your system...

Chopstick
12-29-2005, 05:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> I read your post and thought "Surely, he can't be serious. Maybe he scrapped one to many off of the side walls, or hit his head once too often diving for them "Squeakers"
And then I realised it was all a joke......nobody from Tenn. would be caught dead usng Excel, or even knowing what Excel is used for.Why the kinfolk alone would disown them.......
<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">Ain't chu ever hearda them High Tech Rednecks? They even have a country song about em'. </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

<font color="blue">RJ, your wrist is twisting because it's tight. It needs to loose as you can get it on a power shot. Like crackin a whip or drivin a nail in a board. </font color>

Scott Lee
12-29-2005, 09:53 AM
RJ...I would be giving you Wolfdancer's advice, about cradling the cue in the notch between your thumb and hand.
Timing is everything, especially on long shots. Loose grip pressure, and let the weight of the cue work for you (doesn't matter if it's 17 or 22). If you're interested, I might come up to Seattle next month to work with a few people.

Scott Lee

recoveryjones
12-30-2005, 03:01 AM
Hi Scott,
I sent you an email regarding the possibility of lessons.
thanks,RJ