PDA

View Full Version : How to adjust from a higher table to a lower one

nipponbilliards
12-29-2005, 03:52 AM
I would like to know how to adjust from playing on a higher table to a lower one. Do you change your stance wider, more sideway, do you place your cue further away from your body, do you turn your shoulder?
Thank you
Richard

Scott Lee
12-29-2005, 09:57 AM
nipponbilliards...How much difference in height is there?
Seems like it shouldn't be more than 2-3 inches, if that much...which, imo, wouldn't require any change. You just would bend over a little farther at the waist (or if you bend your knees, instead, you'd might just bend down a little bit more). I wouldn't think you'd need to adjust stance or body position more than a hair, but I could be wrong. jmo

Scott Lee

nipponbilliards
12-29-2005, 03:53 PM
Hi Scott,
Thank you for the reply.
I try to keep my back leg straight when I shot, and I find that when playing on a lower table, I feel as if I am choking or crowding myself. It is as if I can no longer shot straight with a smooth cueing action, and I feel very tight.
I live in Canada and our tables here in some pool halls are a bit higher, it is about 0.5" to 1" lower than a snooker table. When I play in the US on GC or Diamond, or Valley, I feel very frustrated because I cannot do what I could do back home.
I tried to bend my legs but that mess up my shots too.
Thank you.
Richard

recoveryjones
12-30-2005, 02:23 AM
Hi Richard,

Even here in Vancouver I run into the same dilemna.My home two(Guys and Dolls and The Commmodore) pool rooms have tables that are two full inches( or more) different in height.G+D are 29 1/4 and Commodres at least 31 or 32.As I understand it, somewhere around 29-31 are regualtion height.

If I play in one place for a week or two I get acclimatized and play good there but not at the other pool hall or visa versa.For me it's all about acclimatization and the body just feels it's way into the nessecary adjustments.Those adjustments for me don't come right away as the body recognizes something foriegn to it's comfortability.

Are the tables you are playing on in the USA(or other places) actually shorter than G+D 29 inches. If so they are not set at regulation height.

I think if you played at the pool hall that is giving you trouble for a few days (or hours) you would eventually fit into playing on it with a few adjustments as mentioned by Scott.

Take care,
RJ

nipponbilliards
12-30-2005, 04:09 AM
I usually play in Oscar and I am sure they are more than 32 because they are alomost the same height as the snooker tables. I would play very good there, and then go to Guys and Dolls and could not make a ball. I think Guys and Dolls is regular height while Oscar has their table too high.
I think a lot of it is mental, too. I think I have not been practising on the table with the right height so I lost my confidence.
I can try to bend down more but my problem is my shoulder position. It feels like my line up is no longer right once the table is lower.

Richard

jjinfla
12-30-2005, 04:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nipponbilliards:</font><hr> I would like to know how to adjust from playing on a higher table to a lower one. Thank you
Richard <hr /></blockquote>

That's easy. I have the opposite problem. Going from a lower table to a higher table. The owner of the pool room is 6-3 and likes the high table, 32"-32 1/2" but for me it adds problems. I'm 5-9 and find I have to use the bridge a lot more. Like anytime the CB is past the center pockets.

Jake