PDA

View Full Version : No house cues

Drop1
12-29-2005, 12:33 PM
Now I don't know squat about running a pool hall,but,butI'm thinking of opening,one where there are no house cues.I don't want to have house cues,to keep the hanger ons out,and If you don't have a cue don't bother to show up. The food will be first rate,because thats the business I know. The tables will be top of the line,and no charge to play,after the second hour. I plan to make it on the food,and keeping the place spotless. If you want music wear your Ipod. 16 tables. Give me your opinion. some /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gifopinons. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Paul_Mon
12-29-2005, 02:10 PM
Steve,
I'm not sure how it would sit with you when people started walking out because they don't have a cue. How many players are in the area? What do you want to own? A pool hall or a restaurant? It sounds too strange to me.

Good luck and Happy New Year............Paul

JPB
12-29-2005, 04:16 PM
I'll be going out of town this week. I may or may not get a couple hours to shoot pool. I am not taking a cue. I wouldn't mind renting a good one I guess, but I think it is nuts not to have house cues. There might be 3493 reasions somebody would want a house cue. Have some well maintained ones with good tips. Then encourage those who use them to keep coming back and odds are they will be willing to buy a cue from you.

Barbara
12-29-2005, 05:10 PM
I think that having an "unwarpable" type of cue for rent would be a good alternative to having house cues available that would be/could be beaten up to cause you excessive repair costs. A refundable deposit would also be necessary to insure that some hot-head should think twice. JAT

Barbara

Drop1
12-29-2005, 07:25 PM
It looks like I have to give this a little more thought. I apprciate your comments. I remember back in the early sixties, I played in a Pool Hall on market street, in San Francisco. The place no longer exists,but I loved the atmosphere. It was quiet,and huge,with rows of tables. There was no food served. People spoke in whispers,and one old guy worked the whole hall. I guess Thomas Wolf was right. You All have a good New Year.

Rich R.
12-30-2005, 07:28 AM
Although I have owned my own cues for over 35 years, there have still be a few occasions when I have needed the use of a house cue. Stuff happens.
I strongly recommend having cues available, either house cues or cues to rent.

Your concentration on the food service is a great idea. Pool players, of any level, have to eat and drink sooner or later. It's better that they can get good food from you, rather than the place down the street.

From a business stand point, I have to disagree with not having a charge for table time, after the second hour. I think you are giving up a lot of profit. It will also encourage dead beats, who are not eating and drinking, to hang around all night, every night. You have to make the tables pay for themselves and the floor space they occupy. Remember, you will be paying rent based on square footage. You have to make all of the square footage profitable. Remember, after the tables are paid for, the profit margin on table time is quite high.

Also, having some music is not bad, as long as you keep it at a reasonable level. It will also help to mask some of the other noises of a pool hall and restaurant. A juke box will provide some income, but you can also have a system where you control the music selections.

Good luck. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DickLeonard
12-30-2005, 12:51 PM
Paul Mon great to see you posting again, I was going to put you on the Most Wanted List. Sooner or later everyone returns.

Some change their monicker [Fred Agnir] that saved me tracking him down. Happy New Year Paul and to all are Posters.####

poolturtle
12-30-2005, 05:53 PM
Here's an idea I saw used in a bar one time....instead of charging a deposit for the cues, keep the balls behind the counter, along with the cues, and make players give you their driver's licenses in exchange for the balls and cues. This keeps the money transactions down (between receiving and returning deposits), and also helps ensure a safe return of the equipment. If stuff happens to get damaged, you can work out the payment then, by some prearranged deal or whatever.

Also, I think someone mentioned it earlier, but if you're not going to have house cues strung around anyway, you might consider something like titanium or graphite cues for the house cues...they're fairly inexpensive and should be much sturdier than wooden house cues.

Just a thought. Good luck on it, and Happy New Year to everyone.

FastJoey
01-03-2006, 09:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> Now I don't know squat about running a pool hall,but,butI'm thinking of opening,one where there are no house cues.I don't want to have house cues,to keep the hanger ons out,and If you don't have a cue don't bother to show up. The food will be first rate,because thats the business I know. The tables will be top of the line,and no charge to play,after the second hour. I plan to make it on the food,and keeping the place spotless. If you want music wear your Ipod. 16 tables. Give me your opinion. some /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gifopinons. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote> Free pool and no house cues ! you will never make it....visit some pool halls you will see for yourself....

Drop1
01-03-2006, 09:49 AM
Fast,you are right,but if you don't get into the water you will never learn to swim. I just have to think of another way to get into the water. I was at Hard Times in Bellflower Calif,when they had their first tournament in the eighites.The place was beautiful. My partner drew Buddy Hall on the first round,and saw the table one time. I went back to Hard Times in October,and the place had gone to hell. I started thinking then about posting an idea on the forum,and see the results. Maybe a private club for a certain skill level player. Where I live,in Mexico,the private club runs the members $45,000 a year,or $180.00 to play 18 holes of golf. What I want is a place for players,to enjoy,whether or not they have a dime. The club in Mexico is called The Palomar, its right near Bugambilias,which is less money,but no golf.

Fran Crimi
01-03-2006, 10:43 AM
I think it's an interesting idea...maybe a bit contradictory, though. You're looking for more serious players who will spend decent money on food?

I think you may have just narrowed your customer base to about 3 people. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

But seriously, creating a new trend can be a good thing, obviously, especially if it works. I remember when the first upscale pool room was under construction in NYC. Everyone thought it would bomb. They figured the owners to go broke in 3 months. Instead, the lines were out the door. However, farther out in the suburbs, a businessman decided to jump on the bandwagon and open an upscale room, having seen the success of the other. His place bombed. Location, Location, Location.

I can't come up with anything specific to suggest right now, but if I were you, I'd keep thinking about it and maybe something will click in your head.

Fran

FastJoey
01-03-2006, 08:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> Fast,you are right,but if you don't get into the water you will never learn to swim. I just have to think of another way to get into the water. I was at Hard Times in Bellflower Calif,when they had their first tournament in the eighites.The place was beautiful. My partner drew Buddy Hall on the first round,and saw the table one time. I went back to Hard Times in October,and the place had gone to hell. I started thinking then about posting an idea on the forum,and see the results. Maybe a private club for a certain skill level player. Where I live,in Mexico,the private club runs the members $45,000 a year,or $180.00 to play 18 holes of golf. What I want is a place for players,to enjoy,whether or not they have a dime. The club in Mexico is called The Palomar, its right near Bugambilias,which is less money,but no golf. <hr /></blockquote>i would really like to see you make it..the main thing for me about a place is the way i am treated.i enjoy playing pool ,spending money on food,equiptment ect...there is a pool hall near me now that is doing poorly because of the owners attitude towards everyone...good luck to you

CaptainHook
01-04-2006, 07:42 AM
I do not agree with your idea at all. Not having house cues is a bad idea. Let's say for example a few couples get together for a evening of fine dining. They here about your new trendy spot and agree to go there cause it is something new and they want to check it out. After dinner
they take there drinks and move from the dinner table to
a table in the Billiard room. A few do not play, so they just want to sit and watch. let's say 3 of them decide to play a game of cut throat. There server should bring them the Ball tray and set up there first rack. Oh of course they will need cues, there out for a evening of Dinner, who is going to bring a cue with them? Maybe a couple that
planned on dinner &amp; billiards. But not the other folks, they just want to play, chat, have drinks and fun. They are not going to ever come back if there are no cues. Word
of mouth will spread...Oh the food was great, but the strange thing is they have pool tables but no cues. Most will think that you are to cheap to supply them, while other's will think...well it is a new place maybe they just
did not have them yet. Having house cues is a must. If you
had ones that were different colors, let's say Pink, Blue, Green etc etc it would give a lady (who is on a date with a guy who both do not play much and have there own cues)
to pick her favorite color. It is just little things like this that make a person happy, and if they have a good time there, they will come back and they will tell others,
how good the food was and how much fun they had. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Drop1
01-04-2006, 09:35 AM
The idea is not for the general public. If Donald Trump came in, he could enjoy his food,and come back next time with a cue. The Boli restraunt in Spain has a two year waiting list,if you want to make reservations. They have fifty people cooking and are opened six months out of the year. They did not get best restraunt this year,that went to a place in England. If I wanted to open a little pool parlor,and have house cues,there is a good chance it would soon be another brick in the wall,and I would be dreaming of the days when I had a dream.

CaptainHook
01-04-2006, 11:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> The idea is not for the general public. If Donald Trump came in, he could enjoy his food,and come back next time with a cue. The Boli restraunt in Spain has a two year waiting list,if you want to make reservations. They have fifty people cooking and are opened six months out of the year. They did not get best restraunt this year,that went to a place in England. If I wanted to open a little pool parlor,and have house cues,there is a good chance it would soon be another brick in the wall,and I would be dreaming of the days when I had a dream. <hr /></blockquote>

All this talk about Food is making me Hungry. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan
01-04-2006, 11:21 AM
I'm afraid you're handicapping your business from the start. If you want to "make it on food", you can't afford to lock out the casual patrons by not providing equipment. Since they can't play pool at your place, they might as well eat elsewhere.

The unemployed gamblers will love you for the free pool, though /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan