PDA

View Full Version : Last US Open Semi-Finals

PoolFan
06-28-2002, 01:45 PM
I received my monthly Accu-Stat video this week. The match was Mika versus Parica in last year's US Open semi-finals. The beginning of this match is amazing and I can't believe that it's a professional match.

In the first 5 or 6 games, Parica misses a makable nine ball and Mika misses 2, not 1 but 2, eight balls. I have witnessed very few nine ball misses in professional 9-ball tournaments, but to see this many missed "out" balls was amazing to me.

During this bad segment of pool playing, Mika had an Accu-Stat average less than .600. I do not recall watching an Accu-Stats match where a player's average was that low. Towards the end of the match, both Mika and Parica bring their averages up to a respectable Accu-Stats level. It just goes to prove that professional players are human and make mistakes.

I have a few matches of last year's open and that soft to medium break has to go. Every rack is played the same. Not only that, but the rack is also racked in the same order. The two ball was always one of the back three balls. With the soft to medium break, the one went into the side and the two ball stayed at the bottom of the table. When Parice breaks, hardly any balls past the side pockets. The soft break is not conducive to spectators.

Have a good weekend, everyone.

Tom_In_Cincy
06-28-2002, 01:49 PM
I remember that match.. I was there.. and Prica and Mika, looked like St. Banards.. very large Dawgs.. Even when Mika had Jose kicking.. and getting ball in hand.. Mika wouldn't get out.. even when he was suppose to.. Great match to show players that even the pros can win and not play good..

If I am not mistaken.. Mika was below .600 Accu-Stat average for the 0-11 whooping he took from Corey.. (notice the correct spelling of Mr. Deuel's name)

PoolFan
06-28-2002, 02:00 PM
You're right about the Mika versus Cor(e)y match, Mika did have a low Accu-Stats average. But that is reasonable since he really didn't get to play. Deuel just broke and ran out. Mika's few of unforced errors and limited number of innings dictated his average.

The difference with the Parica match is he was getting many opportunities, but had bad innings.

One other thing, I don't normally expect great matches for the finals. Unfortunately, nerves must set in or something and the players don't seem to play at the top of their game. But last year's finals was brutal to watch. Again, the soft break, IMO, made it difficult to watch.

Tom_In_Cincy
06-28-2002, 02:13 PM
I have very mixed emotions about the soft break.

I remember watching the Strickland Stalev match where Stalev was breaking so hard, all the balls would end up in the kitchen. Earl was breaking hard too..

Corey's soft break was enableing him to make a ball and have a shot at a run out.. but if I remember correctly.. Corey won more racks because of safety play than run outs.

PoolFan
06-28-2002, 02:22 PM
I believe that players who master a skill that is legal should continue to use that skill if it gives them an advantage. So in that regard, if Deuel can control the table due to the soft break, more power to him.

My point about the soft break is that it's not conducive to spectators. I'm probably one of the few players who watches more pool than plays. I not only attend Pro events when I have the opportunity, but I probably have the largest Accu-Stats library in the northeast, if not the country. Watching these matches as well as this last Derby City Classic 9-ball was grueling to me, because of the soft break.