PDA

View Full Version : Modified BCA rules for bar money tournament?

Billy_Bob
12-30-2005, 06:56 AM
I'm working on having a weekly 8-ball money tournament in a bar which will have modified BCA rules. This will be on coin-op 7 ft. tables.

I feel it is better to have "written rules" with everything spelled out. And BCA rules cover all sorts of situations.

Also I feel it is more fair to allow safeties. In tournaments which "do not allow safeties", the better players can make it appear they are attempting to pocket a ball and at the same time leave the cue ball in a nasty position. It is a safety. The lesser skilled players can only shoot obvious safeties. So I feel the "no safety" rules give an advantage to the better players.

One thing I would like to modify is "foul if you touch or move an object ball". I can see the arguments now... "FOUL! His shirt touched the 6 ball!", etc. (Change it to just move the object ball back to where it was and not a foul if clothing touches ball).

And the other thing is 8 on the break wins - breaking with cue ball anywhere in kitchen. The locals expect this to be a win.

Anyone have experience switching a local tournament from "bar rules" to BCA rules? Suggestions to make this fly? Other rules to change to avoid problems?

Cane
12-30-2005, 09:56 AM
I used to run 2 weekly tournaments with Modified BCA Rules. The only modification was it was Cue Ball Fouls Only. All ball fouls is just fine and I don't have a problem playing an all ball fouls tournament, but for that, you really need to have a referee for each match and that's a pain in the a$$ to pull off.

Just go with CueBall Fouls Only and be sure that if there's a close hit coming up, that the non shooting player has the right to have the TD or someone else you specify referee that hit only. That will save arguments for the most part.

Also, be sure to stress that a legal hit is hitting your ball and driving any ball to a rail AFTER the hit. I still see bar players that get in tournaments with decent rules claim they hit a ball good because the kicked into it and they don't understand that they must hit a cushion AFTER they contact the ball. Many TD's do not explain this clearly, thus the misunderstanding.

later,
Bob

Scott Lee
12-30-2005, 10:16 AM
Billy_Bob...One more thing to add to Cane's post about fouls...I agree on the CB fouls only, but in the event that an OB gets moved, the offending player must ASK his/her opponent if they want the ball moved back...as opposed to just moving it back themselves (supposedly to where they believe it was originally). Sometimes the shooter accidentally moves an OB, and it becomes advantageous for the incoming player, who would NOT want it moved back to where it was. It shoud be their choice, not the choice of the shooter. Also, if the ball is decided to be moved back, and there is a disagreement on exactly where it was originally, the decision should go to the incoming player, NOT the shooter. After all, the shooter made the mistake of moving the ball in the first place, whether accidentally or not. By demonstrating what I'm talking about, in your player meeting (along with the other rules), everyone will be very clear about this, and there shouldn't be any arguments! One last thing...the decision of the TD is FINAL! LOL Good luck with your tournament!

Scott Lee

Billy_Bob
12-30-2005, 10:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> ...Also, be sure to stress that a legal hit is hitting your ball and driving any ball to a rail AFTER the hit... <hr /></blockquote>

Actually I think this kind of stuff will be fun for some of the local beginners who I know want to learn the "real" rules of play.

The majority of players who go to my areas money tournaments know BCA rules inside and out. And it gets quite silly sometimes when everyone playing a particular night knows and prefers BCA rules, yet we continue to play with bar rules.

I know I'll have problems with double hits and the "chalk cube's distance" thing, but I know how to demonstrate the difference, so if they are willing to listen, they will learn something.

SPetty
12-30-2005, 01:08 PM
Also, clearly clarify the Scratch When Shooting the Eight Ball rule. I believe the BCA is the only set of rules where if you scratch while attempting to pocket the 8-ball, it is NOT a loss (unless you pocket the 8). If you adopt that rule, make it clear to the players beforehand. If you don't adopt that rule, make it clear to the players beforehand. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif