PDA

View Full Version : Draw on slate

Drop1
12-30-2005, 06:17 PM
Would it be possible to draw the cue ball back,if the table had no cloth on the slate,or could a ball be drawn back on a glass top table? What are the bio-mechanics of a stroke for draw? I did that test,placing the cue ball on a piece of white paper,and checking for chalk spots after trying to draw the ball. I had blue dots all over that paper. Can a table be too worn out to get a decent draw,and how much does the tip play into draw? /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rod
12-30-2005, 07:33 PM
A c/b will draw on any surface, glass, ice, etc. The difference is how soon it reacts or reaction time till it starts. Since materials like glass and ice are slick it would sit and spin until it gradually gather momentum. New cloth is a prime example of a surface with less friction.

Old worn cloth has more friction. On long shots it takes a good stroke to have reverse english on the c/b when it contacts the o/b. The tip has little effect and I haven't a clue about bio-mechanics.

I can't believe I answered this /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod

Drop1
12-30-2005, 08:29 PM
Well I'm glad you did. I guess my stroke is my problem. Thanks for the answer.

Rod
12-30-2005, 09:42 PM
Use a stripe ball, set up a straight in shot with the c/b a foot away from the object ball. Hit well below center, you'll see the horizontal stripes spin backwards, then the c/b will back up.

Another way is just shoot a striped ball with low english. With a good stroke it will still be spinning backwards at table length distance. You can tell how long the reverse lasts, friction takes over and the ball/stripes will turn over in a forward motion.

There are countless drills to improve your draw stroke, some drills are listed here. Drills (http://www.sfbilliards.com/basics.pdf)

Rod

Billy_Bob
12-31-2005, 10:31 AM
I read somewhere that someone tried drawing his cue ball on his slick kitchen floor. As I recall, he got an exceptional amount of draw.

A friend of mine has a kid who plays with his dad's pool balls on the kitchen floor. His dad comes along in bare feet and plays "foot pool" with the balls on the floor. He will press down on a ball with his big toe and get it to slide forward, then roll backwards (draw).