PDA

View Full Version : joss cues

hunterdau2
12-31-2005, 04:12 PM
Hello all! I'm back with another question. Today I went to look at cues in Port Huron and handled a McDermot, a Action and an Adam cues and one thing bothered me about all of them, that was the fit at the joint. All of them had less than satisfactory attention paid to the mating of the ferrule (i.e step from butt to shaft)
Now I'm wondering if anyone has handled Joss cues? I've looked at there website and like what i see but would appreciate any input from someone with first hand experience.
Thanks again
Dan

SPetty
12-31-2005, 05:22 PM
Hi Dan,

The ferrule is the (normally) white part at the end of the shaft where the tip attaches. It sounds like you're concerned about the fit of the joint. I'm surprised that there is a "step" between the butt and the shaft at the joint of those cues. Keep looking. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Bassn7
01-03-2006, 08:56 PM
I've only owned Joss cues for 23 years. Take a look at them too.

"Never leave your wing man."

Bob_Jewett
01-03-2006, 09:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hunterdau2:</font><hr> ... All of them had less than satisfactory attention paid to the ... step from butt to shaft)... <hr /></blockquote>
Do you mean that the two parts had different diameters? Or were they not centered?

hunterdau2
01-04-2006, 01:52 AM
I meant that they aren't centered at the joint. There is a step on one side on the butt with a step on the shaft on the opposite side. Maybe being a machinist i am expecting to much but i wouldn't make or sell something that didn't show care and quality and put my name on it.
Just my opinion!

Dan

catscradle
01-04-2006, 09:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hunterdau2:</font><hr> I meant that they aren't centered at the joint. There is a step on one side on the butt with a step on the shaft on the opposite side. Maybe being a machinist i am expecting to much but i wouldn't make or sell something that didn't show care and quality and put my name on it.
Just my opinion!

Dan <hr /></blockquote>

That is not asking too much if it is the original manafactured shaft they should match exactly. If it is an after market shaft (for instance a Predator), they should at least be centered.

wolfdancer
01-04-2006, 09:25 AM
Bob this is quite common when you use brass inserts.....the external, and the internal threads are not parallel to each other. There will be a point when screwing the pieces together, that they will be in alignment....the trick is to make that the point where they mate....not that easy to do....keep turning to tighten, and it's sort of like an eccentric.
I'm surprised this would happen with a Joss...but maybe a Joss East?

hunterdau2
01-04-2006, 12:52 PM
To clarify it wasn't a joss but some other well known brands.