PDA

View Full Version : Yes Virginia, there really is a round pool table!

airyago
01-01-2006, 04:35 PM
Here 'tis. I been talkin' 'bout it e'nuf so I jus'
thot Id show ya a picher o' one. Go to:
http://www.webspawner.com/users/airyago/index.html
The first table I made now sets with the other tables
in the Senior Center Rec Room (our local pool hall).
Ya'll have a Happy New Year! 'ere-ya-go

airyago
01-03-2006, 06:39 PM
I'd really like to hear what you all think of
the Round Pool Table. I think its fun and it
has improved my aim and banking. 'ere-ya-go

SPetty
01-04-2006, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the picture since I was having trouble with that other web site. I'd post the picture directly here, but this site has trouble with pictures with spaces in their names...

The table looks well built and is very attractive, and I like the wide rails. I suspect that it would be quite a challenge to play on that table.

I think that it would be appealing to the same group of people who find bumper pool enticing. Well, a similar group but with more money to spend... /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

The "serious" pool player probably would not care to own one of these in place of a "normal" pool table, and probably wouldn't want one of these in addition to their pool table, because they can use their own pool table for banking practice. You've heard the expression "Practice like you play" (or something like that)? It doesn't seem that learning to bank or kick off these rounded rails will translate very well into banking and kicking off straight rails.

I do think that it would be valuable in teaching how to hit the object ball and hit it at pocket speed in order to get it to fall into the hole in the middle. The picture makes it look like the hole is smaller than the ball!

My opinion is that it would be challenging and fun to play on occasionally, but it wouldn't be as valuable as a practice table.

Deeman3
01-04-2006, 12:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote airyago:</font><hr> I'd really like to hear what you all think of
the Round Pool Table. I think its fun and it
has improved my aim and banking. 'ere-ya-go
<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">We had one of these in the Memphis Boy's Club in the 1960's. Most only played on it when the other three tables were full. As I remember, the hole is not firectly centered in the table which allows a spot symetrecally opposite it to be used as a bank aiming tool. Any ball that is hit across that spot will bank into the hole. Spetty is right, the hole is just a little larger than the ball. I had just assumed they didn't make thse anymore. I actually shot on this table before I even saw a bumper pool table. If I remember, the quality of the table was not that good and the balls moved if you bumped it.

Deeman </font color>

wolfdancer
01-04-2006, 12:47 PM
The picture makes it look like the hole is smaller than the ball!

Say, that would be an interesting concept....I swear that on some nites when I play....the holes do shrink.
I have a couple of problems with the "round" table...first off, you're never more then 2 1/2 ft from the hole....and if you can't make a 2 1/2 ft'r.....don't go to that bar Deeman plays at.....you'll lose all your quarters.
And while banking off of an angled cushion might be fun....you can't take that skill over to a reg table. And lastly....the table surface is wood????.....and the price is rather high for that size table.
I'll be surprised if there is much interest in owning one of these, but hey.....I thought the Hula hoop would never catch on either.

airyago
01-04-2006, 04:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> The picture makes it look like the hole is smaller than the ball!

***I make the hole diameter 2-5/16" for 2-1/4" ball.***

Say, that would be an interesting concept....I swear that
on some nites when I play....the holes do shrink.

***Yeah, me too, except that them pockets
get larger when my cueball gets near them.***

I have a couple of problems with the "round" table...first off, you're never more then 2 1/2 ft from the hole....and if you can't make a 2 1/2 ft'r.....don't go to that bar Deeman plays at.....you'll lose all your quarters.
And while banking off of an angled cushion might be fun....you can't take that skill over to a reg table. And lastly....the table surface is wood????.....and the price is rather high for that size table.

***The rail-to-rail playing surface of the 49"dia is 40"dia.
As far as banking, I learn a little more about "throw
effect on cut angle", and "throw induced spin at the rail".
And, the playing surface is 5/8" thick poured "slate".
With 3 leveling legs, it is a VERY flat, straight-rolling
table. Total weight about 140 lbs. I know its worth
every penny 'cause I've spent a lot of time making it
play exactly the way it should. I was thinking about
taking one to Louisville (Derby City Classic) and set
it up in the hotel lobby just for anybody to try it.
O'course, I's want to OK it with Diamond folks.***

I'll be surprised if there is much interest in owning one of these, but hey.....I thought the Hula hoop would never catch on either. <hr /></blockquote>

***Halfway thru building the one in the picture, I showed
Matt a picture and he quickly gave me a deposit$ so I
wouldn't sell it to someone else. He has it in his
living-dining-kitchen room in the center of his house
and is having a 5/16"x52"dia round glass top made for it.
He wants it to be seen underneath. I ain't looking to
get rich, I just like building them.
Hey, I do appreciate your comments. Really.***

airyago
01-04-2006, 04:13 PM
I agree with you. Its kinda like a novelty now.
Just different. Hey, one could elevate one leg
and it would roll down-hill like a putting green!
Or maybe put some bricks on it and play putt-putt!
Thanks for your comments. -ere-ya-go

airyago
01-04-2006, 04:22 PM
I've never seen one. Can't find one on the "net".
At halfbakery.com, I saw 2 refs; one in New Zealand
(picture) that had 6 perimeter pockets and one in
Victoria, Austrailia that I can't get info on.
The idea actually hit me when I was watching a
cable company crew pull cable off a large reel.
The side of the reel had a hole in the middle.
If ya hear of one, or know where to find a picture
of the one in Memphis, I like to see it.
Only other picture I found was at www.uspto.gov (http://www.uspto.gov)
with the #696,677. There's a sketch. 'ere-ya-go

PHJ314
01-05-2006, 07:23 AM
Personally the only thing I really like about this table is the color of the felt...lol.

I really don't see(or understand) how this table could help my game. More of a conversation piece than anything.

Don't rip me, it's just my opinion...I really don't see the use! Although credit to you, it is a very lovely looking piece of work!

Deeman3
01-05-2006, 07:41 AM
I don't remember the table (in Memphis) being a help to my game. That was 48 years ago and I was a beginner then. It would certainly not help your banks but might help a person learn to soft hit a ball as you couldn't hit it hard or it would not go in the pocket. Like most of you, I think it's just a novelty that might hold your interest if you were not a player.

Deeman

SPetty
01-05-2006, 10:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PHJ314:</font><hr> Personally the only thing I really like about this table is the color of the felt...<hr /></blockquote>Hook 'Em Horns! eh?

http://www.bevodepot.com/images/products/bd1080.jpg

Teadaemon
01-23-2006, 08:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> The picture makes it look like the hole is smaller than the ball!
<hr /></blockquote>

i don't know for certain, but I'd suspect it's not a hole, but a concave depression in the table about 1/2 to 2/3 of the diameter of the ball. If it were the diameter of the ball then the ball would be very difficult to retrieve after it'd been potted, any larger and it's likely to roll out if it's hit any harder than dead weight.

I've seen a similar design used on Bagatelle tables in the UK, or home Bar Billiards tables that don't have a ball return mechanism.

Deeman3
01-23-2006, 08:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Teadaemon:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> The picture makes it look like the hole is smaller than the ball!
<hr /></blockquote>

i don't know for certain, but I'd suspect it's not a hole, but a concave depression in the table about 1/2 to 2/3 of the diameter of the ball. If it were the diameter of the ball then the ball would be very difficult to retrieve after it'd been potted, any larger and it's likely to roll out if it's hit any harder than dead weight.

I've seen a similar design used on Bagatelle tables in the UK, or home Bar Billiards tables that don't have a ball return mechanism. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Wrong,Teadeomon. It is a hole. the bottom is hollow and there are holes around the sides you reach through to retrieve the ball.

Deeman </font color>

Teadaemon
01-23-2006, 10:58 AM
Fair enough, I only had one picture to go on.

Incidentally, if you want to see the tables I'm referring to, several pictures can be found here (http://www.tradgames.org.uk/games/Bagatelle.htm) .

wolfdancer
01-23-2006, 11:31 AM
it's a trinket, a trifle, a bell,
Or a game with a ball to propel.
It's some music that's light
Or a piece that you write,
Like this limerick—a mere bagatelle.