PDA

View Full Version : Jim Buss Cue vs. Schon Cues

jjog
01-01-2006, 04:41 PM
I'm looking into buying a new cue and I'm either going to get a Schon or Jim Buss cue. Can anyone one or everyone post about the 2 different cue makers? Just looking for help on which way to go.

Thanks!!!

trailboss
01-01-2006, 05:54 PM
I would catch the Buss! Seriously, Jim Buss makes a very good cue. Also.. you can have Jim design it exactly the way you want it. Good Luck! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

jjog
01-01-2006, 07:28 PM
Yeah that's the way I'm leaning but I've never seen/heard of his cues before. Does anyone on here use one or have one? If so, what's your opinon on the cue?

Cornerman
01-01-2006, 07:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjog:</font><hr> Yeah that's the way I'm leaning but I've never seen/heard of his cues before. Does anyone on here use one or have one? If so, what's your opinon on the cue? <hr /></blockquote>I have one. It's the sexiest cue I own.
Most of Jim Buss' customers love his cues.

Now, if you've never heard of him, why is he on your short list of two cuemakers?

Fred

Pizza Bob
01-02-2006, 06:18 AM
I've got a Buss also, and it plays a ton! Jim was one of a dozen cuemakers chosen to exhibit his work in the Smithsonian, so he's hardly an unknown. Definitely the Buss, because you can have it done how you want it done. Tell him Pizza Bob sent you (and he'll only double the price, LOL).

Adios,

Pizza Bob

JPB
01-02-2006, 12:24 PM
Never played with one, but I'd defer to Pizza Bob on it. I just looked at the website and there are several cues that look good to me for 1000. G note for a custom that plays good seems about right. I guess it ddepends how much you want to spend. if I wanted to spend a few hundred I'd look for the cheapest Schon STL-1 I could. But if I was looking to spend say 750, I'd get a 1000 Buss over the Schon. And I have not hit with a Buss. To me the beauty of production cues is to get a reliable good product for a reasonable price. I might pick Schons over some unknown makers, but Buss is not one of those. And I would not drop significant cash on a production. I hear of people playing with 2000 production cues. Coulda had a basic Gina you know.

jjog
01-04-2006, 12:42 PM
Well thanks everyone for commenting. It seems the right choice is a Buss cue. The only negative thing I've heard about his cues are his basic cues. Someone said he re-uses old house cues (something like that anyway) and turns them into new custom plane jane cues...again this is one guy that I don't even know. Another question is what other custom cue makers are out there that are REALLY GOOD and have cues for 700-1000 dollar range???

Thanks everyone!!!

Scott_The_Shot
01-05-2006, 07:54 PM
Yes, Jim does do "Titlist" Conversions. if interested in seeing what an old Brunswick "titlist" cue (still one piece) costs goto www.billiardcue.com. (http://www.billiardcue.com.) So, if someone trusts him to work with an old titlist house cue it should be a hint of how good his work is.
Titlist conversions are not the only cues that Jim makes.
Just thought I should clarify, His work is top notch.

HALHOULE
01-05-2006, 11:01 PM
What do you expect the cue to do??

HALHOULE
01-05-2006, 11:04 PM
Please tell me why and how it plays a TON.

HALHOULE
01-05-2006, 11:08 PM
If a cue "plays" good, it is the player.