PDA

View Full Version : Break Cue Problem

dad8
01-02-2006, 09:36 AM
I purchased a SledgeHammer..I like the balance and the weight of the cue,but I continue to misque I was told to ruff the tip up with a tip tapper between breaks and that helps but it's very hard to control the cue ball if at all.I am willing to replace the ferrule and tip any suggestions as to what tip may work.Danny Tibbitts is not far from me I'm thinking I will have him replace the tip and ferrule.What tips do you prefer.

PQQLK9
01-02-2006, 10:52 AM
Its not the cue, its your STROKE!

Slow down and practice breaking with ACCURATE center ball hit, then progress to killer breaks.

That will be $0.50, donate to your favorite charity. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Billy_Bob
01-02-2006, 11:06 AM
Does that cue have a phenolic tip?

I once tried a phenolic tip on my break cue and would miscue about once a week. Also could not use draw without miscuing. And the "once" would be for an important tournament! Once too much.

Anyway I switched to a Tiger quarter shaped break/jump tip (very very hard leather tip). Have not had any problems miscuing since and can get draw, use english, etc.

dad8
01-02-2006, 11:34 AM
Yes it has the phenolic tip.I don't have a problem with the center ball and I never try to kill the ball.I've been breaking with other cues with the phenolic tip and I don't misque at all.Other's have tried to break with this cue and have the same problem.This cue is not a cue that Mike built himself.It does say Sledgehammer on the butt and pat pending I was told some of his cues were out sourced in China and this maybe one.And I did sign up for RELAY FOR LIFE this morning.

Billy_Bob
01-02-2006, 11:52 AM
Might want to try a quarter shaped tip if it does not have this shape already. Some cheap tip repair kits sold at discount stores come with quarter shaped sandpaper shaping tools.

Or get a piece of 1" PVC Pipe, cut it in half, then about 8 inches long and cut sandpaper to fit in the curve. This is a quarter shape.

Also maybe just roughing up the tip with sandpaper and always a center break might help. Always chalk before each break.

Note I did all the above with my phenolic tip and reduced the miscues, but still miscued about once a week.

Rod
01-02-2006, 10:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> Its not the cue, its your STROKE!

Slow down and practice breaking with ACCURATE center ball hit, then progress to killer breaks.

That will be $0.50, donate to your favorite charity. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Tips sure take a lot of heat, don't they Nick? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif With that said, replacing the tip to leather probably would help some. But that defeats the idea of buying phenolic tipped cues. If you're breaking with english then you don't need a phenolic tip.

Rod

dad8
01-03-2006, 07:31 AM
Ok I shot some pool last night.I first scuffed my phenolic tip chalked and with no english and med stroke did not misque Tried to break the next rack chalked only misqued.Scuffed the tip again chalked and let a local a player use the cue to break no misque.He broke again only chalking the cue misqued .Tried his sledgehammer made by Mike had no problems and didn't even scuff between breaks.

Sid_Vicious
01-03-2006, 08:32 AM
Excuse the question if it's already been asked,,,what roundness/flatness do you have the tip shaped to compared to the other S-hammers you are trying? The phenolic tips should be very flat...sid

dad8
01-03-2006, 11:53 AM
The tips look the same size shape everything looks perfect I've compared my cue to a few other sledgehammers.The one thing I've noticed is that I haft to scuff my cue betwwen breaks and they don't it seams that my cue looses the texture on the tip each time you break and others do not almost like my phenolic tip is soft.Maybe my cue has a different material that looks the same but is not....Don't know!I'm going to hold on to the cue until Mike comes through town and see what he has to say maybe its a knock off.

Deeman3
01-03-2006, 12:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dad8:</font><hr> The tips look the same size shape everything looks perfect I've compared my cue to a few other sledgehammers.The one thing I've noticed is that I haft to scuff my cue betwwen breaks and they don't it seams that my cue looses the texture on the tip each time you break and others do not almost like my phenolic tip is soft.Maybe my cue has a different material that looks the same but is not....Don't know!I'm going to hold on to the cue until Mike comes through town and see what he has to say maybe its a knock off. <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">

There must be something wrong with the cue or your stroke. i use a phenolic tip with a generous radius but never miscue. I do hit just slightly below center in nine ball but never rough the tip. I do chalk it, more out of habit than anything. Try turning a stripped ball on it's side with the stripe around the equator and then hit the break. Check the ball to see where the chalk is/where the tip actually hit. You may be losing control of your cue tip during the break.

Good luck,

Deeman </font color>

dad8
01-03-2006, 12:28 PM
I have 3 Sledgehammer jb cues 2 are not mine.Scuffed my tip did not touch the other cue other then to chalk.Broke with each cue 7 times useing the same medium stroke no english center ball.My cue 1st break went fine 2nd break fine 3rd and after miscued.Never miscued with the other cues med or hard break with slight bottom.My friend's had the same problem with my cue.I play B+ pool they are c+ and an A player had the same problem I'm having.We measured the tips everything measures the same but the texture on my cue tip seams to smooth out after breaking so I haft to scuff the tip often they don't scuff there tips at all.Its not a stroke problem.

Cornerman
01-03-2006, 12:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dad8:</font><hr> The tips look the same size shape everything looks perfect I've compared my cue to a few other sledgehammers.The one thing I've noticed is that I haft to scuff my cue betwwen breaks and they don't it seams that my cue looses the texture on the tip each time you break and others do not almost like my phenolic tip is soft.Maybe my cue has a different material that looks the same but is not....Don't know!I'm going to hold on to the cue until Mike comes through town and see what he has to say maybe its a knock off. <hr /></blockquote>I use several different cues with phenolic tips. They are all shaped half-moon. I never ever scuff or tip tack them. I don't think there's any need to.

If you are miscuing on the break, it's not the cue. Something going awry on your break stroke.

Video tape yourself, or let someone watch.

Fred

Sid_Vicious
01-03-2006, 12:45 PM
"Maybe my cue has a different material that looks the same but is not"

I'm wondering the same thing now...sid

dad8
01-03-2006, 01:05 PM
I understand having a bad stoke could be a problem.Not trying to sound cocky but the stoke is not the problem.I've never had a problem with misqueing until I purchased this cue.I've used other cues as well with phenolic tips and my break is fine.I've spent 2 days trying to adjust I've had better players look at my stroke and everyone has tried the cue and had the same problem.

Sambo
01-03-2006, 02:15 PM
well let me add my 2 cents...i just purchased the jerico stinger and my problem is ball control. also the balls seem to scatter to the left and right rails (playing 8 ball here). any suggestions? thank you in advance

Deeman3
01-03-2006, 03:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cornerman:</font><hr> <hr /></blockquote>I use several different cues with phenolic tips. <font color="blue"> Equipment Whore! JK </font color> They are all shaped half-moon. I never ever scuff or tip tack them. I don't think there's any need to.

If you are miscuing on the break, it's not the cue. Something going awry on your break stroke. <font color="blue"> You're right. I think it has to be the stroke unless there is something (maybe a split, in his phenolic, sounds painful). </font color>

Video tape yourself, or let someone watch. <font color="blue"> Good idea.

Deeman</font color>

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

Sid_Vicious
01-03-2006, 03:34 PM
Let's give the man credit for alternating between his breker for 7 stokes, then the others he is compairing his to. If the miscues are nil on the other cues for the seven break strokes but pesky just on the S-hammer he owns, then obviously there must be a combined equipment/stroke to say the least. His buddies are also miscuing with his breaker and not their own too. Jma2c...sid