PDA

View Full Version : Marble Top as opposed to a Slate Top pool table ??

06-28-2002, 07:43 PM
I am looking at an old pool table. the persons said it was made in Madison Wisconson by a company called American Pool Tables. My question is this -- he said it was a Marble top (not a slate top ) pool table. Is a Marble top table better
or worse than a slat top??? What should I look for??? Need some expert help.

Cueless Joey
06-28-2002, 07:58 PM
It's probably slate. He just doesn't know it. Slate used to come from PA. If it's black/gray, it's slate.

Scott Lee
06-28-2002, 08:25 PM
Joey...They did make pool table beds out of marble during the mid to late 1800's...but you're right, you can tell by the color. I believe marble was found to be too heavy, and too brittle to serve well for pool table playing surfaces, so the table had better be pretty cheap. JMO

Scott Lee

Cueless Joey
06-28-2002, 08:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Scott Lee:</font><hr> Joey...They did make pool table beds out of marble during the mid to late 1800's...but you're right, you can tell by the color. I believe marble was found to be too heavy, and too brittle to serve well for pool table playing surfaces, so the table had better be pretty cheap. JMO

Scott Lee
<hr></blockquote>.......
I wasn't aound then, so I wouldn't know. LOL
They still use marble on tables in the third world countries who can't afford slate. A lot of people here just call slate as marble or marble slate. If marble's playability is that bad, I guess they better be cheap.