PDA

View Full Version : O'Sullivan's Pool Debut Imminent

Big Dave
01-03-2006, 04:33 AM
Dit..dit..dit...dah.dit.dah....

Rumour central is abuzz with news that legendary Snooker talent Ronnie O'Sullivan will make his "Professional American Pool Debut" in the Netherlands, with an appearance at the 7th Annual Open Weert 9-Ball Championships.

HOB Weert owner Maurice Houben said "2 UK players will join the "Special Event" The 7-ball Sudden Death Challenge... with a 7000 euro winner takes all prize...
They are Hundal and O'Sullivan, they will confirm there entry this week."

The 7-ball Sudden Death Challenge will field eight of the world's sharp shooters to give the hopefully big crowd a fantastic evening of Pool.

The winner of this event will win a cool € 7000, - "winner takes all" !!!

iacas
01-03-2006, 06:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Big Dave:</font><hr>Rumour central is abuzz with news that legendary Snooker talent Ronnie O'Sullivan will make his "Professional American Pool Debut" in the Netherlands, with an appearance at the 7th Annual Open Weert 9-Ball Championships.<hr /></blockquote>
How can someone make an American debut in the Netherlands?

HarryDC
01-03-2006, 07:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Big Dave:</font><hr> Dit..dit..dit...dah.dit.dah....

Rumour central is abuzz with news that legendary Snooker talent Ronnie O'Sullivan will make his "Professional American Pool Debut" in the Netherlands, with an appearance at the 7th Annual Open Weert 9-Ball Championships.

HOB Weert owner Maurice Houben said "2 UK players will join the "Special Event" The 7-ball Sudden Death Challenge... with a 7000 euro winner takes all prize...
They are Hundal and O'Sullivan, they will confirm there entry this week."

The 7-ball Sudden Death Challenge will field eight of the world's sharp shooters to give the hopefully big crowd a fantastic evening of Pool.

The winner of this event will win a cool € 7000, - "winner takes all" !!! <hr /></blockquote>

Hello Big Dave,

I am waiting with bated breath for another half hearted disingenuous attempt at pool by a pro snooker player worth millions. I am also wondering why Mr. O’Sullivan failed to be present at the IPT players meeting? “Meaning he was more interested in snooker than pool.” All of the no shows should be reinstated if Ronnie is to be allowed to play on the IPT Tour.

Haven’t been able to understand why some extraneous snooker player was extended the courtesy of remaining on the IPT Tour when he was a no show for the players meeting, everyone else who was a no show was dismissed. No special courtesy should be extended to any player by the
IPT. That is the way I see it! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

PS I will take Mr. Hundal anytime he showed up for the IPT
Players Meeting. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

HarryDC

Bob_Jewett
01-03-2006, 01:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote iacas:</font><hr> ...
How can someone make an American debut in the Netherlands? <hr /></blockquote>
I suspect that's because in the Netherlands, you have a choice between American pool and English pool, which are played by different rules on different tables, so in the phrase "Professional American Pool Debut," the word "American" modifies the word "Pool" rather then the word "Debut."

Bassn7
01-03-2006, 01:30 PM
Excellent analysis Mr. Jewett.

jules
01-03-2006, 05:28 PM
Hi Big Dave,

The Rocket is the man... and although Ronnie could be a bit flakey sometimes, we love him nonetheless. I'm an American who's spent the last 3 years in London glued to the Snooker circuit (I'm back in the US now). I'm excited about watching Ronnie play pool here... do you know where one can find his entire US tour schedule?

stephen_joyce
01-04-2006, 08:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HarryDC:</font><hr>
Hello Big Dave,

I am waiting with bated breath for another half hearted disingenuous attempt at pool by a pro snooker player worth millions. I am also wondering why Mr. O’Sullivan failed to be present at the IPT players meeting? “Meaning he was more interested in snooker than pool.” All of the no shows should be reinstated if Ronnie is to be allowed to play on the IPT Tour.

Haven’t been able to understand why some extraneous snooker player was extended the courtesy of remaining on the IPT Tour when he was a no show for the players meeting, everyone else who was a no show was dismissed. No special courtesy should be extended to any player by the

HarryDC

<hr /></blockquote>
HarryDC
The reason why Roniie did not turn up was because he was in a snooker final, which he was always going to be in so KT would have known this from the start. The only way he would ever have been at the ipt KOH event was if he had failed to make the semi finals. Obviously KT was aware of this and let it go. By the way he won £100000 sterling.
regards
SJ

BigMal
01-05-2006, 11:20 AM
Ronnie will delight the American fans if he puts in the required effort in learning the game.

To be honest, I doubt he will put in the necessary work on his 9-ball game and will instead rely on his immense natural shot-making ability. He's a magnificent man with a cue in his hand.

If Ronnie solely played 9-ball, he could rise to the very top, but there is no way he will give up his lucrative snooker career that easily. My view is you can't be at the top of both games simultaneously, but it will certainly be interesting to watch him.

Drop1
01-05-2006, 12:17 PM
Lets welcome him,as a fellow cue player,and enjoy watching him play. The transition from snooker to pool will not be difficult. I'm sure he will be among the top twenty players in no time.

Teadaemon
01-10-2006, 11:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigMal:</font><hr>
If Ronnie solely played 9-ball, he could rise to the very top, <font color="red">but there is no way he will give up his lucrative snooker career that easily</font color>. My view is you can't be at the top of both games simultaneously, but it will certainly be interesting to watch him.<hr /></blockquote>

I wouldn't be so sure - several times he's talked publically about taking a year or more off from professional snooker, or even quitting the game entirely. He has enough money that he doesn't need to go in search of huge prize funds - if he decides that he's having fun playing Pool, then I think he might decide to do it full time.

Also, bear in mind that a lot of the huge cash prizes in Snooker have been put up by sponsors from the tobacco industry. Since any form of tobacco advertising (including sponsorship) is now banned across the EU, Snooker is having a hell of a lot of trouble finding any sponsors, let alone any prepared to spend as much as the tobacco companies did. Currently the Snooker World Championships are without a sponsor, with only four months or so 'till they start.

Billy
01-10-2006, 01:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote iacas:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Big Dave:</font><hr>Rumour central is abuzz with news that legendary Snooker talent Ronnie O'Sullivan will make his "Professional American Pool Debut" in the Netherlands, with an appearance at the 7th Annual Open Weert 9-Ball Championships.<hr /></blockquote>
How can someone make an American debut in the Netherlands? <hr /></blockquote>

I could be wrong but I thought the Netherlands was somewhere in the northern part of Pennsylvania /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jmo

thecardman
01-10-2006, 01:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr>I suspect that's because in the Netherlands, you have a choice between American pool and English pool, which are played by different rules on different tables, so in the phrase "Professional American Pool Debut," the word "American" modifies the word "Pool" rather then the word "Debut."<hr /></blockquote>

Mr Jewitt hit the nail on the head. Here in the UK, when you mention "Pool", people automatically think of 8-ball on a 7' x 4' table with snooker table-style pockets and 2" balls and a 1 7/8" cueball. If you mention "American Pool" that's when they start thinking of 9' x 4½' tables with 2¼" balls.

Hope that clears things up.

Best wishes

thecardman
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

HarryDC
01-10-2006, 05:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stephen_joyce:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote HarryDC:</font><hr>
Hello Big Dave,

HarryDC

<hr /></blockquote>
HarryDC
The reason why Roniie did not turn up was because he was in a snooker final, which he was always going to be in so KT would have known this from the start. The only way he would ever have been at the ipt KOH event was if he had failed to make the semi finals. Obviously KT was aware of this and let it go. By the way he won £100000 sterling.
regards
SJ <hr /></blockquote>

SJ

Ronnie O'Sullivan has already started planning for his retirement by opening a lingerie shop.The shop, imaginatively named Viva La Diva, is aimed at women and gay men and will stock items including a $60,000 mink basque. Located in So Ho!

Ronnie's girl buys all the stock so I think Ronnie's future is in ladies panties, not 8-Ball pool in the Colonies. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif His cousin Maria Catalano plays better 8-Ball then Ronnie ever will.

There is no need for him to take up a space in something he has no real interest in. I have an expat. snooker player to cheer for in Tony Crosby and the only situation I would be happier with Paul Hunter showing up here. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BigMal
01-12-2006, 02:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Teadaemon:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigMal:</font><hr>
If Ronnie solely played 9-ball, he could rise to the very top, <font color="red">but there is no way he will give up his lucrative snooker career that easily</font color>. My view is you can't be at the top of both games simultaneously, but it will certainly be interesting to watch him.<hr /></blockquote>

I wouldn't be so sure - several times he's talked publically about taking a year or more off from professional snooker, or even quitting the game entirely. He has enough money that he doesn't need to go in search of huge prize funds - if he decides that he's having fun playing Pool, then I think he might decide to do it full time.

Also, bear in mind that a lot of the huge cash prizes in Snooker have been put up by sponsors from the tobacco industry. Since any form of tobacco advertising (including sponsorship) is now banned across the EU, Snooker is having a hell of a lot of trouble finding any sponsors, let alone any prepared to spend as much as the tobacco companies did. Currently the Snooker World Championships are without a sponsor, with only four months or so 'till they start. <hr /></blockquote>

I take your point but Ronnie has threatened to quit the game more times than I can remember and always u-turned in the end.

Even with dwindling sponsorship he still accrued almost £400,000 in tournament prize money last season and even off-form he can earn more in snooker than he can at pool.

I really don't see him breaking from snooker just yet even though I think American Pool would really gain immeasurably from his presence. Can you imagine a Strickland/O'Sullivan final with a packed house and tv cameras? Pure tv gold.

By the way I'm from North Shields - small world

Snapshot9
01-13-2006, 06:13 AM
I think his debut is downplayed because
of it being 7 ball instead of a REAL
game. I got quite a laugh of his
retirement plans.
On anoher note though, American Pool
is still a 'frontier' for him to conquer,
if he so choses, and he just might.

HarryDC
01-13-2006, 09:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snapshot9:</font><hr> I think his debut is downplayed because
of it being 7 ball instead of a REAL
game. I got quite a laugh of his
retirement plans.
On anoher note though, American Pool
is still a 'frontier' for him to conquer,
if he so choses, and he just might. <hr /></blockquote>

Snapshot9

Ladies panties is a brilliant retirement business. To bad I never thought of it myself! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif To much Benny Hill in my life. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Got to give Ronnie a hand though as he will do just about anything to advance his sport. I always thought his exhibition against Jamie Jones was a nice thing to do for snooker. PHOTO:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c294/Gremlin711/JJ13_UP.jpg
Ronnie and Jamie

"The Donald" and Kevin Trudeau prove that anything is possible for "high rollers"! I hope Ronnie does well what ever he intends to do.

Four year old photo of Maria on a nine foot table in Denver
Colorado (HarryDC a Maria Catalano fan.)
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c294/Gremlin711/Maria_Catalano_up.jpg

/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Teadaemon
01-17-2006, 04:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigMal:</font><hr>
I take your point but Ronnie has threatened to quit the game more times than I can remember and always u-turned in the end.

Even with dwindling sponsorship he still accrued almost £400,000 in tournament prize money last season and even off-form he can earn more in snooker than he can at pool.

I really don't see him breaking from snooker just yet even though I think American Pool would really gain immeasurably from his presence. Can you imagine a Strickland/O'Sullivan final with a packed house and tv cameras? Pure tv gold.

By the way I'm from North Shields - small world <hr /></blockquote>

Well given his post-demolition interview last night, I guess he isn't giving up on Snooker yet.

On the subject of sponsors, I know they've now found one for the World Championship, don't know who yet, but the Masters is sponsored by Saga Insurance FFS! (Note for non-Brits: Saga is a company that sells products tailored for the over-50s market).

Oh, if you're in North Shields you're probably only a couple of miles from me as the crow flies - I'm in South Shields. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif