PDA

View Full Version : Short Vs. Long Ferulle

littleCajun
01-03-2006, 07:34 AM
What is the diffrence in having a short or long ferulle. Is it just a prefrence or is there a real difference.

Thanks

Deeman3
01-03-2006, 12:13 PM
For most it is just personal preference. Snooker cues and caroom cues have traditionally shorter ones. My three cushion shaft has a short ferulle but it came that way. It does seem to put more spin on the ball for such a fat shaft but I'm not sure the ferulle length has much to do with it.

Deeman

Cornerman
01-03-2006, 12:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote littleCajun:</font><hr> What is the diffrence in having a short or long ferulle. Is it just a prefrence or is there a real difference.

Thanks <hr /></blockquote>I've always thought the ferrule isn't supposed to be so long. That is, it's purpose is to prevent the end from splitting.

I theorize that when people starte whacking the tail end of the mace, that it would tend split. So, a collar (ferrule) would either have to be put on before it split, or after it split to repair it. So, it wasn't the length so much as some kind of hoop strength at the end.

I also assumed that the first ferrules were made of wood, and that wood (and bone for that matter ) didn't hold up. So, they went to brass.

When the leather tip came about, that offered immediate protection to the wooden end, probably better protection than a ferrule alone. But, the ferrule stayed because it was already part of the mace.

Fred &lt;~~~ that's my theory, anyway

SPetty
01-03-2006, 03:44 PM
There's one poster here who has posted that a ferrule is 1-1/8" long - half the diameter of a pool ball. It could be used to help determine the center spot for the ghost ball aiming method.