PDA

View Full Version : Student-Teacher Issue

Bassn7
01-03-2006, 01:26 PM
I've noticed a phenomenon going on in our pool room. When someone pays for lessons and then still doesn't continue doing the hard work, they become a VERY bad reference for that instructor. Others in the room comment "Why pay for that, they didn't get better." They put the result on the instructor instead of the lazy student. Not good. I guess it goes back to: make sure you charge so much they HAVE TO practice!

cheesemouse
01-03-2006, 07:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bassn7:</font><hr> I've noticed a phenomenon going on in our pool room. When someone pays for lessons and then still doesn't continue doing the hard work, they become a VERY bad reference for that instructor. Others in the room comment "Why pay for that, they didn't get better." They put the result on the instructor instead of the lazy student. Not good. I guess it goes back to: make sure you charge so much they HAVE TO practice! <hr /></blockquote>

Bassn7,

LOL...the reverse is also true...the guy you give the freebee too will diss you also because you didn't tell him the secret...well you actually did tell him the secret but he wasn't listening... /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif It can be a no win situation sometimes. But when a student comes back to you and says "you were right, I did just what you said and my game jump right out of the box, thanks man."...it makes it worthwhile...cheers

Scott Lee
01-03-2006, 11:39 PM
Bassn7...I agree with you about this. It's why I "test" my students when they want a subsequant lesson (or more) from me. If they can't demonstrate whatever we worked on in the first (or last) lesson, they have to get 'schooled' again, before they can move on to more advanced things. Since they get a videotape of the lesson, there's no excuse for them not having done their homework! LOL When scheduling additional lessons, I alway recommend my students to review their last tape, as they WILL have to show their stuff, before we get started on something new! It works... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott Lee

Fran Crimi
01-03-2006, 11:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bassn7:</font><hr> I've noticed a phenomenon going on in our pool room. When someone pays for lessons and then still doesn't continue doing the hard work, they become a VERY bad reference for that instructor. Others in the room comment "Why pay for that, they didn't get better." They put the result on the instructor instead of the lazy student. Not good. I guess it goes back to: make sure you charge so much they HAVE TO practice! <hr /></blockquote>

Nah, you can't really keep charging more and more to make the student work harder. It's a personality issue. Some people are willing to work on their games and some think that as long as they show up for a lesson they should automatically get better.

Same thing with the observers you were mentioning. Some will realize whether or not the player has been practicing and some will never take that into consideration and be quick to blame the instructor.

Not much you can do about it, really. People are going to believe what they want. People who are against lessons to begin with are going to be especially critical. You're not going to turn them around. Their minds are already made up.

Fran

Bassn7
01-04-2006, 11:20 AM
Fran,
You hit the nail on the head when you said "people who are against lessons to begin with". There are tons of these kinds. The whole group who think 'I just need to play more often and the magic will come'. No, they just continue to do things wrong for a longer period of time.

I thought books could teach me everything, boy was I wrong. Having someone to instill a bit of discipline to my game changed my pool life.

MacGyver
01-05-2006, 02:00 AM
Bassn, just wondering where you play(though you've probably already told me....CueCushion or that airport place?)

Anyway, just wanted to say I had a single hour with Mark awhile back and it improved my game a TON and have nothing but nice things to say about him and his bullpen.... just wondering who else in Stl you might be talking about lessons and ect.

Bassn7
01-05-2006, 09:51 AM
Mark Wilson is an awesome instructor. Great person and the Bull Pen is great place to play. The tables are always perfect.

I play out of Brenden's Billiards in Fairview Heights,IL. Bob Hempel is the instructor players use at Brenden's. I've worked with Bob for 4 years now and I've won trips to Vegas four years in a row. A great teacher works!

MacGyver
01-06-2006, 12:27 AM
Ah... hmm thats funny because I am usually at Brenden's a couple nights a week during Xmas break but I still don't know anyone that plays there....

Anyway, good to know, will look into getting lessons if I can afford it sometime in the future to see what else is out there /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DickLeonard
01-06-2006, 07:19 AM
Fran my worst pupil story. A fair local player, sometime Joss Tour Player asked me to teach him how to play straight pool my way. I looked the table over and said pay the 14 ball in the corner with reverse english and roll your cueball to here to break the rack open on your next shot. He said I don't like reverse english shots. I said shoot the shot, I don't like that shot. What difference does it make I am not shooting if you miss, you can play it till you make it. I don't like reverse english shots. End of lesson One.

Lesson two, The player has incorporated Jack Nicklaus's habit of turning his head to the right so his golf swing didn't move his head. In pool this habit has no benefit at all, the left eye is the only eye used the right eye can only scan the audience.

You have to face the shot, I can't see that way,you don't wear glasses, I know but I can't see that way. End of lesson two.

A few years later he is playing in a new room and tells my day man in my old room I ran, I don't want to show him anything because I don't want him to be better than me. My day man said to him what the hell are you talking about, I have watched you play for weeks you haven't run 30 balls yet. He would run 200 balls everyday he played, there is no way he would be afraid of you getting better than him.

The manager of the room at RPI told me that I wouldn't teach him how to play, I told him everytime I tried to show him he would reject it. I wasn't going to waste my time with a closed mind.####