PDA

View Full Version : Lag for break or flip coin for break?

Billy_Bob
01-04-2006, 10:09 AM
In another thread (BCA rules more fair than bar rules?), I discussed changes made to a local 8-ball bar tournament to get the tournament going again. Thought it best to discuss this issue in a separate thread....

A change I thought would be good for this tournament was to lag for the break instead of flipping a coin for the break...

Well the sharks (top players) showed up and had a fit about this change. Some of the local banger players liked the idea of lagging for the break (just like on TV).

Now THIS really surprised me! I would think it would be the other way around, that the top players would prefer to lag and the bangers would prefer to flip.

I think that the bangers like lagging because it is new to them and what the pros do on TV.

But I don't know why the "top players" don't want to lag?

Do they have an advantage flipping a coin or something? It does take more time and is more of a hassle to lag being as the tables are coin-op.

I would prefer that this tournament be fair to all...

So the question: For a local bar 8-ball tournament on coin-op tables, is it better to lag for the break or flip a coin for the break?

Tom_In_Cincy
01-04-2006, 10:30 AM
In our tournaments we always have a choice of lag or flip, but if one player wants to lag, it is preferred over flipping.

Racking is still a choice, but if one player want to 'rack your own', that is still preferred. Both players still have the right to inspect the rack and ask for a re-rack.

bluey2king
01-04-2006, 12:20 PM
I like lagging.....no skill in flipping

Scott Lee
01-04-2006, 12:31 PM
Lagging is an acquired skill. Flipping a coin is all luck.
I can win a lag 80-90% of the time, because I practice it. A coin flip is 50/50 at best.

Scott Lee

SpiderMan
01-04-2006, 04:26 PM
Flip. You stated in the other thread that you were trying to speed up the tournament. Plus, there's seldom a dispute over which side of the coin landed up.

SpiderMan

rackem
01-04-2006, 11:41 PM
First off do you have an 8 ball break pot. That will help attendence. I vote for coin toss. Lagging gives the better player the advantage. Nobody should be breaking their own rack. That just ain't right. You could have the winner or loser of the last game flip and rack. Most of all it's your tourney, time to tell the road warriors if they don't like the rules don't come. you don't need their grief. Less sharks means more locals will play and i think that's what you want. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

MacGyver
01-05-2006, 01:50 AM
Well, First off top players want coin flip(i'd guess) because they figure no matter who breaks they are going to win, so they'd rather just get the first break over with asap so they can move on and win sooner....

if you are alternating breaks, then unless it goes hill-hill, first break shouldnt make too much of a difference imho.

second thing is that coin tosses can be rigged by someone who knows how and with a lot of practice. only a handful can probably do this reliabily but at the same time I'd throw it out there because lags AFAIK can't be rigged(since its a skill).

Just saying that I'd go for lag since its skill and doesnt have the chance that it could be unfair.