PDA

View Full Version : O'Reilly on Letterman

eg8r
01-04-2006, 10:21 AM
I thought this was pretty funny. Letterman does not like his show but has never watched it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif O'Reilly offers to send a hat if Letterman becomes addicted. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

http://www.youtube.com/w/Letterman-on-OReilly?v=Iix923o9lkU&search=Letterman

eg8r <~~~does not watch O'Reilly either

moblsv
01-04-2006, 10:39 AM
It's good to hear Letterman doesn't waste his time watching Faux "News".

Gayle in MD
01-04-2006, 12:01 PM
LOL, you said a mouthful! O'Reilly was his usual obnoxious self. Letterman practically kicked him off the show. It was pretty funny seeing O'Reilly get a taste of his own sarcastic insulting treatment.

Good for Dave....

Gayle in Md.

Fran Crimi
01-04-2006, 05:08 PM
Letterman: I think 60% of what you say is 'garbage' [or something like that].

O'Reilly: Give me an example.

Letterman: I can't. I don't watch your show.

Geez.....LOL

Fran

Qtec
01-04-2006, 07:36 PM
This is a brilliant clip of Frank Zappa on Crossfire, 1986 I think. The Lofton guy ends up looking like a dork. LOL. Its long but its worth the watch.
The video is ok but the page is NSFW. Check out what he says about a Fascist Theocracy !

link (http://www.muchosucko.com/video-frankzappaoncrossfire.html)

Q

eg8r
01-05-2006, 06:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
LOL, you said a mouthful! O'Reilly was his usual obnoxious self. Letterman practically kicked him off the show. It was pretty funny seeing O'Reilly get a taste of his own sarcastic insulting treatment.

Good for Dave.... <hr /></blockquote> Letterman might have had to boot him off the show because he made Letterman look like a dweeb when he asked Letterman to "prove it". /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Do you watch everything with those blinders on?

eg8r

Qtec
01-05-2006, 07:15 AM
O'Rielly the hypocrate.

Quote- "how can antone be offended by the 2 words- Merry Christmas".
Quote- " saying 'Happy Holidays' is offensive to Christians"!???????????

Q

eg8r
01-05-2006, 07:30 AM
Well, I don't agree with him on the US becoming a Facist Theocracy, unless there is a new religion springing up (not including the religion of doom and gloom in which you and Gayle aspire /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ). The US as best I know is predominantly Christian and our government will not allow us to pray in school. That hardly sounds like we are on our way to a Facist Theocracy.

I thought the whole show was pretty funny, especially how Frank would use their own words against them (you should get out more). I agree with Frank that the government should not be censoring certain words, and that the censorship should come from the parents. Too many people in this day and age look to the government to solve all of their problems. Stand up and take a little accountability and responsibility for your own actions.

eg8r

DickLeonard
01-05-2006, 08:38 AM
Eg8r I like your attitude take responsiblilty for yourself. Just one question if your money and pension was all invested in Enron who would blame for that Ponzi Scheme. Yourself.####

Qtec
01-05-2006, 09:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, I don't agree with him on the US becoming a Facist Theocracy, unless there is a new religion springing up (not including the religion of doom and gloom in which you and Gayle aspire ). The US as best I know is predominantly Christian and our government will not allow us to pray in school. That hardly sounds like we are on our way to a Facist Theocracy. <hr /></blockquote>

Ed, the Govt [ esp the Neo-Cons] wants more religion in school/life etc but its the the Constitution ,ie the Law that forbids it. Their views on abortion, gay marrige etc is all faith based. They tried to force THEIR beliefs on the rest with the latest push to bring Creationism/ ID into the schools via the science class. Fortunately they failed.
Now they are spying on US citizens illegaly and imprisoning Americans without due process. They have even sent US citizens to 3rd countries to be tortured and then convicted them solely on the subsequent extracted confession.
Dont you find it strange that American politicians/pundits can say things like, "we should nuke the Pentagon"...."we should take out Chavez" [ Venusuela ]...."take out Castro"etc and they dont even get cautioned. Whereas if are from ME decent you can get life because someone says he thinks he heard you say that you "think Bush should be 'taken out'?" Double standards?

[ QUOTE ]
Here is a transcript of the exchange on Fascist Theocracy:

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

John LOFTON (Washington Times): Our families are under attack from people like you with these lyrics.

Frank ZAPPA: Could I make a comment about National Defense: the biggest threat to America today is not communism. It's moving America toward a fascist theocracy. And everything that's happened under the Reagan Administration is steering us right down that pipe.

Robert NOVAK: Oh, mr Zappa...

ZAPPA: Yes, MISTER Zappa...

NOVAK: Do you really think...I mean...

ZAPPA: I really think!

NOVAK: All kidding aside. Is this country, with the permissiveness, that we are moving toward a fascist theocracy?

ZAPPA: You bet we are buddy.

NOVAK: Do you things that things like this would ever have happened...

ZAPPA: Give me that famous smile, buddy.

NOVAK: When we were twenty, when we were kids... you're about my age?

ZAPPA: I'm forty-five.

NOVAK: Well, I'm fifty-five. Do you think that when I was a kid that they would permit songs like that to be sold. I mean permissiveness is a game. I mean you're not really serious if you saying we're going toward a fasist theocracy.

ZAPPA: That's right we ARE!

Tom BRADEN: Wait a minute, give me one example of a fascist theocracy.

<font color="blue"> ZAPPA: When you have a government that prefers a certain moral code derived from a certain religion, and that moral code turns into legislation to suit one certain religious point of view, and if that code happens to be very very right wing, almost toward Atilla the Hun... </font color>

LOFTON: Well then you are an anarchist. Every form of civil government is based on some kind of morality Frank.

ZAPPA: Morality in terms of behavior, not in terms of theology!

LOFTON: well of course, but look, I mean, I couldn't believe in terms of your lyrics, I mean, uh....

NOVAK: Wait a minute gentlement, we have to take a break now. <hr /></blockquote>

Govt leaks name of CIA agent- no big deal.
Someone leaks news of Govt abuse [ spying illegaly] REALLY big deal.

Q

Chopstick
01-05-2006, 09:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Eg8r I like your attitude take responsiblilty for yourself. Just one question if your money and pension was all invested in Enron who would blame for that Ponzi Scheme. Yourself.#### <hr /></blockquote>

Yep. Not diversifing your investments is a bad idea and your own fault if you do it. As far as companies not honoring their pension commitments, that's as common as dirt anymore. It happened to my grandfather and my father. My company doesn't even have one which is fine by me. I wouldn't trust them anyway.

Chopstick
01-05-2006, 09:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>

ZAPPA: Morality in terms of behavior, not in terms of theology!

Govt leaks name of CIA agent- no big deal.
Someone leaks news of Govt abuse [ spying illegaly] REALLY big deal.

Q <hr /></blockquote>

My man Frank. He was always my favorite. Q where did you get the idea that spying was illegal?

Hey Eg let's get Q a Factor hat? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I am thinking about getting one myself just to aggravate people.

Qtec
01-05-2006, 10:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Q where did you get the idea that spying was illegal?
<hr /></blockquote>

Its only illegal if you get caught. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q

eg8r
01-05-2006, 10:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ed, the Govt [ esp the Neo-Cons] wants more religion in school/life etc but its the the Constitution ,ie the Law that forbids it. Their views on abortion, gay marrige etc is all faith based. They tried to force THEIR beliefs on the rest with the latest push to bring Creationism/ ID into the schools via the science class. Fortunately they failed.
Now they are spying on US citizens illegaly and imprisoning Americans without due process. They have even sent US citizens to 3rd countries to be tortured and then convicted them solely on the subsequent extracted confession.
Dont you find it strange <hr /></blockquote> What I find strange is that even though you are an adult you have this amazing inability to stay on topic. Torturing people, and spying has nothing to do with religion or a facist theocracy.

Back to the subject, the beginning of your post is not completely true. The current administration might want to add Creationism to classes, they might oppose gay marriage, and abortion, but they are not the only parts to our government. If they felt so strongly as you suggest, then they would have passed new laws allowing, or removed the old laws preventing.

The fact of the matter is that most of the politicians don't feel strongly enough about any of the issues at hand, they are only worried in doing what the voting public agrees with so that they can keep their cushy jobs.

eg8r

eg8r
01-05-2006, 10:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just one question if your money and pension was all invested in Enron who would blame for that Ponzi Scheme. Yourself.#### <hr /></blockquote> I would definitely take part of the blame. No matter how hard it is to swallow, it is never a smart idea to put all your eggs in a basket. This includes retirement. I agree with everyone else that those who caused that entire mess should burn in hell and all their money should be split with those who lost everything (meaning cover what they lost). However I also believe there is risk in everything I do and I would never, and currently do not, put all my retirement in one basket.

I am in no waying letting those at Enron off easy, they are the problem and I hope they get what they deserve, but there is still a responsibility on the individual.

eg8r

eg8r
01-05-2006, 10:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My company doesn't even have one which is fine by me. I wouldn't trust them anyway. <hr /></blockquote> LOL, my company offers and extra week of vacation instead of a pension. No more pension, but young guns out of college now get 3 weeks of vacation. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Fran Crimi
01-05-2006, 11:04 AM
I really can't imagine a scenario where an outside invester would put all his retirement holdings into one company. Who would do that?

Enron employees are a different story, though, because even though they may have had choices where to invest their pension money, it was still invested under the company's name and would have been lost when Enron went under.

Back in my earlier accounting days, I was the officer in charge of Manny Hanny's Profit Sharing Division. The employees had four choices as to where to invest their money. There were different combinations of company stock and cash vehicles to choose from. For myself, I picked the choice with the least amount of company stock. However, if the company had gone under, I would have received nothing because the money was all invested in the company's name. By the time the crediters were through with them, there would be nothing left for the employees.

Fran

Gayle in MD
01-05-2006, 11:26 AM
O'Reilly is the worst hypocrit of all on TV. He comes out bloviating his a$$ off about values, and righteousness, then he sexually harrasses the young producer on his show. She had him dead to rights, too, had the tape. Faux news paid off big time.

O'Reilly is the favorite of the Neocon numb skulls. Tra la la la la, everything is going great, tap my phone, torture people in secret, wage war without double checking your facts, ignore terrorists when you know their in the country, (911) ignore the drowning thousands after hurricanes, let the President get away with breaking laws and lying to the people, but hey, it's all good, so say the evangelistic cockeyed optimists, the lord will save them!

O'Reilly is a jerk, a self righteous, big blow hard, who lies left and right on National Television. Hey,. maybe he should run for President!

Gayle in Md. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Always knew O'Reilly was Ed's hero, LMAO!

supergreenman
01-05-2006, 12:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> LOFTON: Well then you are an anarchist. Every form of civil government is based on some kind of morality Frank.

ZAPPA: Morality in terms of behavior, not in terms of theology! <hr /></blockquote>

Notice Frank didn't deny being an Anarchist /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Atta boy
J

eg8r
01-05-2006, 01:39 PM
My point is that there is more you can do to save for retirement than to just use what is offered by the company. The majority of my retirement (right now) is not based on anything I will get from the company I work for. I am not saying my way is right and their way was wrong, I am just saying that we all have choices and must be accountable to some degree for the choices we make. The people working for Enron all had the same opportunities as I have and provided I was in the same predicament they are in, I would not have lost all my retirement, only the portion of retirement I have saved up in the company I work for.

eg8r

eg8r
01-05-2006, 01:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gayle in Md. Always knew O'Reilly was Ed's hero, LMAO! <hr /></blockquote> I have got to say, this quote of yours is either ignorance, inablity to read, or just plain out right desire to not think. Pasted here just for you... [ QUOTE ]
eg8r &lt;~~~does not watch O'Reilly either
<hr /></blockquote> Now, if you had bothered to watch the clip this might make sense and keep you from making such a foolish mistake. Letterman says his stuff is trash then when asked to prove it Letterman stated, "I don't watch your show". I added the same in my sig. Now please attach your A back so as not to spill anything on your clothes the next time you crack up. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Chopstick
01-05-2006, 01:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote supergreenman:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> LOFTON: Well then you are an anarchist. Every form of civil government is based on some kind of morality Frank.

ZAPPA: Morality in terms of behavior, not in terms of theology! <hr /></blockquote>

Atta boy
J <hr /></blockquote>

Yea, I saw that too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Nanook rules! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Fran Crimi
01-05-2006, 02:14 PM
Oh, okay. I didn't realize you were referring to other options. That's true. I'm not sure I would go to the extent to agree that everyone has a choice, though. It's great if you can figure out a way to take money out of your paycheck every week, but oftentimes circumstances dictate it to be impossible, and the only hope would be to rely on your company to provide your pension. Certainly it's not stable, but for many, it's their only hope.

Fran

Qtec
01-06-2006, 04:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote supergreenman:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> LOFTON: Well then you are an anarchist. Every form of civil government is based on some kind of morality Frank.

Atta boy
J <hr /></blockquote>

He actually said he was a Conservative!

Q

Qtec
01-06-2006, 05:38 AM
http://www.theocracywatch.org/new_bill_moyers_toompaine_sept9_05.htm

"Let’s go back to 9/11 four years ago. The ruins were still smoldering when the reverends Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell went on television to proclaim that the terrorist attacks were God’s punishment of a corrupted America. They said the government had adopted the agenda “of the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians” not to mention the ACLU and People for the American Way (The God of the Bible apparently holds liberals in the same low esteem as Hittites and Gergushites and Jebusites and all the other pagans of holy writ.) Just as God had sent the Great Flood to wipe out a corrupted world, now—disgusted with a decadent America—“God almighty is lifting his protection from us.” Critics said such comments were deranged. But millions of Christian fundamentalists and conservatives didn’t think so. They thought Robertson and Falwell were being perfectly consistent with the logic of the Bible as they read it: God withdraws favor from sinful nations—the terrorists were meant to be God’s wake-up call: better get right with God. Not many people at the time seemed to notice that Osama bin Laden had also been reading his sacred book closely and literally, and had called on Muslims to resist what he described as a “fierce Judeo-Christian campaign” against Islam, praying to Allah for guidance “to exalt the people who obey Him and humiliate those who disobey Him.”

Suddenly we were immersed in the pathology of a “holy war” as defined by fundamentalists on both sides. You could see this pathology play out in General William Boykin. A professional soldier, General Boykin had taken up with a small group called the Faith Force Multiplier whose members apply military principles to evangelism with a manifesto summoning warriors “to the spiritual warfare for souls.” After Boykin had led Americans in a battle against a Somalian warlord he announced: “I know my God was bigger than his. I knew that my God was a real God and his God was an idol.” Now Boykin was going about evangelical revivals preaching that America was in a holy war as “a Christian nation” battling Satan and that America’s Muslim adversaries will be defeated “only if we come against them in the name of Jesus.” For such an hour, America surely needed a godly leader. So General Boykin explained how it was that the candidate who had lost the election in 2000 nonetheless wound up in the White House. President Bush, he said, “was not elected by a majority of the voters—he was appointed by God.” <font color="blue"> Not surprising, instead of being reprimanded for evangelizing while in uniform, General Boykin is now the Deputy Undersecretary of Defense for Intelligence.</font color> <font color="red"> (Just as it isn’t surprising that despite his public call for the assassination of a foreign head of state, Pat Robertson’s Operation Blessing was one of the first groups to receive taxpayer funds from the President’s Faith-Based Initiative for “relief work” on the Gulf Coast.) </font color>

We can’t wiggle out of this, people. Alvin Hawkins states it frankly: “This is a problem we can’t walk away from.” We’re talking about a powerful religious constituency that claims the right to tell us what’s on God’s mind and to decide the laws of the land according to their interpretation of biblical revelation and to enforce those laws on the nation as a whole. For the Bible is not just the foundational text of their faith; it has become the foundational text for a political movement"

They want to change the Law. Thats why they are trying so hard to get right wing judges on the Supreme Court. Justice Sunday and Tom DeLay??
You should read the whole article. He puts it better than I ever could.

Q

Gayle in MD
01-06-2006, 07:13 AM
Good post, Q. Thanks. Just imagine how much safer the world would be if we had a "Don't ask, don't tell," Policy on religion, LOL....let everyone worship the way they want, BUT keep it to yourself...sure would prevent a lot of wars!

Gayle in Md.

Chopstick
01-06-2006, 09:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>
"Let’s go back to 9/11 four years ago. The ruins were still smoldering when the reverends Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell went on television to proclaim that the terrorist attacks were God’s punishment of a corrupted America.

Q
<hr /></blockquote>

Seems to me like there are a lot of mean a$$ gods hanging around. It's a good thing that the one true god is a lot more kindly.

http://www.venganza.org/sighting/thumbnails/83.jpg

May the blessings of the Holy Noodles entwine you and yours Brother Q. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

wolfdancer
01-06-2006, 05:26 PM
Eg8r, I thought the interview was interesting....It' obvious Dave doesn't agree with O'Reilly's views....and two of Dave's comments/questions...were probably not what Bill expected.
Bill,I thought handled it well....and the only clue he was agitated was his right hand tapping his leg. And then he came out with a typical O'Reillyism....Cindy Sheehan is being manipulated by the far left.....
He blames everything on the far left. He reminds me of Howard Stern, who's entire show is built on schoolboy humor
They are both "one-trick ponys"

eg8r
01-09-2006, 06:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Eg8r, I thought the interview was interesting.... <hr /></blockquote> I posted it because I just thought their interaction was hilarious. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

wolfdancer
01-09-2006, 09:13 AM
that it was....