PDA

View Full Version : Ghost ball

Drop1
01-04-2006, 06:01 PM
What is a ghost ball? I imagine that it has something to do with aiming,kind of an image that does not exist like the spot on the wall,after looking at spot on the table for a few moments.

Bob_Jewett
01-04-2006, 07:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> What is a ghost ball? I imagine that it has something to do with aiming,kind of an image that does not exist like the spot on the wall,after looking at spot on the table for a few moments. <hr /></blockquote>
The ghost ball (or phantom cue ball) is where the cue ball should be when it hits the object ball. One way of teaching beginners to aim is to hold up an extra cue ball kissing the object ball, where they have to put the real cue ball on the object ball, and have them aim full at the ghost ball and then take away the ghost ball and let them shoot.

I think Ray Martin originated the term (at least in print) and lots of other authors discuss the concept. Martin's 99 Critical Shots is a book that should be in every pool student's library. It has a few minor flaws -- see http://www.sfbilliards.com/articles/2002-07.pdf

If there were no ball-ball friction (throw) the center of the object ball and ghost ball should be in a line to the center of the pocket (or other target). Since there is throw, the correct location of the ghost ball has to be modified a little to compensate for it. Once that compensation is made, the ghost ball aiming system is, by definition, the gold standard against which other systems can be measured. Figuring out the compensation is left as an exercise for the student. Whether a player can visualize the ghost ball or not is another matter, but that is an implementation issue rather than an inherent accuracy matter.

dr_dave
01-05-2006, 08:21 AM
Drop1,

Bob described it very well. For more information and a video demonstration, see the ghost ball links under "aiming" in the threads summary section of my website (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/threads.html).

Regards,
Dave

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> What is a ghost ball? I imagine that it has something to do with aiming,kind of an image that does not exist like the spot on the wall,after looking at spot on the table for a few moments. <hr /></blockquote>

Scott Lee
01-05-2006, 09:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> [
I think Ray Martin originated the term (at least in print) and lots of other authors discuss the concept. Martin's 99 Critical Shots is a book that should be in every pool student's library. It has a few minor flaws -- see http://www.sfbilliards.com/articles/2002-07.pdf
<hr /></blockquote>

Bob...The term "ghost ball" was originated by Willie Jopling, long before Ray put it in his book. Willie has been using that term for at least 50 yrs. I know you said "in print", but I just wanted to set the record straight. Willie told me he was the first person to use that term, back in the 50's. You can verify that next week in Louisville, as Willie is always at the DCC! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott Lee

Cueless Joey
01-06-2006, 01:21 AM
Thnx DD.
Imo, the ghost ball method is the best method for beginners and intermediate players.
I know one local ex pro who still runs a century once in a while ( used to play against Mosconi in his exhibitions ) who still advocates it fanatically.

Candyman
01-06-2006, 08:59 AM
Hey Scott!! Do any instructors use the "ghost table" for banking? I find it particularly useful when banking off the short rail.