PDA

View Full Version : AMF Legecy cue info

tk_it_ez
01-05-2006, 07:58 PM
I recieved an AMF Legacy cue as a present about 7-10 years ago. Never knew much about it but I always liked the feel of it. I recently saw a couple of AMF Legacy cues at a billiard shop and was told they were made by one of the cue makers that used to work at Meucci.

I have tried researching the cue and the company but have not been able to find anything. I am not sure if it is made buy the same AMF that makes tables and bowling equipment or a different AMF. I was interseted in any info i could get about both the cue and the company. Not that i would ever sell my cue (first one i ever owned), but i was also intersted in how much these cues go for, new and used.

I would really appreciate your help with finding out about my cue. Just seems like I should "know something" about a cue that almost feels like a part of me. Thanks in advance.

tk_it_ez
01-08-2006, 04:05 PM
Nobody have any info? I also have this post on a couple of other forums that i visit and haven't gotten any replies there either. Almost starting to take it personally. Just joking. If you don't know about the cue, any help in pointing me in a direction to research would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

BLACKHEART
01-08-2006, 11:28 PM
I sold a lot of these Qs back then. You are right, the story I was told, when I ordered the Qs, was that an unhappy Meucci employee, went a few miles down the road & started making the Legacy Qs. They were copies of Meucci's & sold pretty cheap. A few years later the company was sold to AMF...JER

tk_it_ez
01-09-2006, 02:51 AM
Thanks Blackheart. I appreciate the info. I am curious what you thought of the cues when you sold them and how much they went for. Also if you have any idea of where to look to find out any additional info on the cue line. Thanks again for your help.

BLACKHEART
01-09-2006, 09:30 AM
Maker of pool cues from 1991 before being purchased by A.M.F.,from 1994 to 1995 in Memphis, Tennessee, and for a few years beginning in 1995 in Bland, Missouri.
The Legacy Cue Company had been in business making cues in the US for approximately 3 yrs, when A.M.F. Playmaster bought the company. They moved cuemaking operations to Memphis, TN in 1994 &, about a year later, they moved to Bland, MO. They made cues for a short time before closing operations.
A.M.F. has been in business since 1901 &, for a while, they were the only company making tables, pockets, and cues. Legacy cues are easily identifiable by the "A.M.F. Legacy" logo on the butt caps.
THIS IS WHAT THE LATEST "BLUE BOOK OF POOL CUES" SAYS ABOUT LEGACY. I only bought cues from the original owners. I seem to remember that they only had 2 models. One plain Jane with a gray stain & black with white spot wrap & the same Q with 4 black points. I don't remember the price, but they were real inexpensive, but a good playing Q...JER

tk_it_ez
01-09-2006, 10:22 PM
Thanks again Blackheart. You gave me even more info than i was hoping for. It's really appreciated. Makes since that i got one of these since i lived in St. Louis, MO before moving to Honolulu, HI. If you're ever over let me know because i owe you at least a few beers for helping me out. I was starting to think that I would never know anything about my cue. Thanks again.

DickLeonard
01-10-2006, 07:35 AM
Blackheart I have to say that AMF had the easyist table leveling system I had ever worked on. I think any table mechanic would have to agree on that. The table sat on 4 large bolts with a hole in the center of the bolt. Put a screw driver in the hole and by turning the bolt left or right you could raise or lower the table. No back breaking work raising the table to level.####

Jmiller
01-18-2006, 06:53 PM
From a retailer. The info in prior posts is correct. I was told that the 'maker' was ex-son-in-law of Bob Meucci. His name escapes me, but he was very personable and easy to deal with. In 1995/96, the retail price range was about $100 to $170. They were somewhat limited on the models available. Basically a 'no-point', '2-point', and '4 point' with different stain options. They were very very comparable in quality and style to that of a Meucci. Tip,ferrule and taper, joint thread were the same. The main difference was that they did not offer covered wrap made famous by Meucci. At that time Meucci's 'no point' "European" series cues sold for about $190. So for less money, you could get a four point Legacy that was basically for all intent and purposes a Meucci copied. I sold these cues like hot cakes. My wife still uses hers. They had such a good reputation and sold so well that they became attractive to AMF. AMF bought the company, raised the price on the retail by about $50-70 per cue and sales plummeted. AMF offered them for sale for about 2 years and then retired the line.