PDA

View Full Version : Why no talk of Shooting Gallery?

ChrisW
01-07-2006, 08:57 AM
I saw this movie the other day.
Has anybody else seen it?
I thought there would be some talk of it.
Not sure if it was ever in the theater but it
was just released on DVD.

Cane
01-07-2006, 09:10 AM
Well, I rented it this week and for what it was, it wasn't bad. I only have one problem with the movie... IT DIDN'T VARY FROM DEPICTING POOL PLAYERS AS HUSTLERS, CON MEN AND CRIMINALS! I wish someone would produce a movie where there wasn't a bad image of poolplayers in general. Shooting Gallery was more of an action movie where they played pool. Good plot, good twist at the end, but IMO, not really a "poolplaying" movie.

Now, is it popular? Well, yes, from what I could see here it is. I live in a town of about 10,000 people and Blockbuster has the movie... about 30 copies of it. When I went in to rent it, there were two copies on the shelf and the employee there told me that was the first time since they've had it in that there wasn't a waiting list for it. So people are watching it, and maybe if they watch it, they'll get a little fired up and go play pool. On the other hand, if they pay attention to the hustles in the film, they may be out there trying to play the WRONG kind of pool. We'll see, but watch it if you want to see an action flick and you won't get insulted by the mediocre poolplaying and the image of pool players depicted there. Don't watch it if you expect it to be the modern day "Hustler" or COM.

Later,
Bob

wolfdancer
01-07-2006, 10:05 AM
Geez Bob, I thought one of the attractions of playing pool was
that "walk on the wild side" thing....hanging around with people that would cheat, or rob you, if given the chance...you know, sort of like going to a Republican convention, or on a Congressional junket

Deeman3
01-07-2006, 11:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Geez Bob, I thought one of the attractions of playing pool was
that "walk on the wild side" thing....hanging around with people that would cheat, or rob you, if given the chance...you know, sort of like going to a Republican convention, or on a Congressional junket <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> or selling stock to Hillary? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

wolfdancer
01-07-2006, 02:17 PM
touche!!

DickLeonard
01-09-2006, 05:55 AM
Bob, Thanks to Tom Delay and Jack Abramnoff, Golf is now the game of crooks and criminals. Now they will have to lighten up on pool.####

CaptainHook
01-09-2006, 07:17 AM
I just found out about it a week or so ago. So I went on Amazon and bought a used copy for 10 bucks. $12.47 with the shipping. It came in the mail last thursday, so my wife &amp; i watched it this past weekend. We liked it. We liked it more when we watched it the second time, cause we were kind confused about a few things. All in all it is a good movie.
We added it to our "Pool" movie collection.

We now have:

The Hustler VHS &amp; DVD
The Baltimore Bullet VHS
The Color of Money VHS &amp; DVD
Pool Hall Junkies DVD
Stickmen DVD
Shooting Gallery DVD

The next Pool movie we will get is Jeniffer Baretta's movie, 9 Ball. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

SpiderMan
01-09-2006, 09:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> I only have one problem with the movie... IT DIDN'T VARY FROM DEPICTING POOL PLAYERS AS HUSTLERS, CON MEN AND CRIMINALS! <hr /></blockquote>

Unfortunately, that's just calling a spade a spade. If I were given one day in a strange city to locate as many hustlers, con men, and criminals as possible, I'd head for the nearest poolroom. I'd probably exhaust all the poolrooms before starting on car dealerships and law offices /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan

Deeman3
01-09-2006, 09:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> I only have one problem with the movie... IT DIDN'T VARY FROM DEPICTING POOL PLAYERS AS HUSTLERS, CON MEN AND CRIMINALS! <hr /></blockquote>

Unfortunately, that's just calling a spade a spade. If I were given one day in a strange city to locate as many hustlers, con men, and criminals as possible, I'd head for the nearest poolroom. I'd probably exhaust all the poolrooms before starting on car dealerships and law offices /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <font color="blue">Car Dealers and Lawyers everywhere thank you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

Rich R.
01-09-2006, 09:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> I'd probably exhaust all the poolrooms before starting on car dealerships and law offices /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif<hr /></blockquote>
You forgot to mention the offices of all of the local politicians. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif