PDA

View Full Version : Norman The Jockey Howard

CharlesHoward
01-08-2006, 03:54 PM
I am the son of Norman 'The Jockey' Howard. I read an archived post about him. I was wondering if there is anyone out there who really knew him. I know very little about him. I know he got his nickname because he used to be a jockey, and that he was best man at Cornbread Reds wedding. He was from Uniontown, PA. Someone stated a book that his picture was in. I am curious to know of any other books he may have been in. Any info would be great, Thanks. Charles

reverend_dave
01-09-2006, 10:41 AM
I used to play one pocket and nineball with jockey in the late 80's and early 90's at Cushion and Cue in Livonia, MI.
A few years later, I saw a picture of players from one of the Johnson City tournaments and was amazed to see Jockey in the picture. I guess he was a pretty solid player in his day, but those skills had eroded by the time we had played. I'll say this, he was quite a character and had a very unique and infectious laugh. May he rest in peace. Take care.

TerryArdeno
01-09-2006, 03:18 PM
Charles,
I am from Washington, Pa and have several family members in Uniontown and the surrounding area. I had heard of your father but nobody around here seemed to have info on him. I mentioned something about him to Jim Rempe when we were talking last year and right away he knew who I was talking about. He may be able to provide some info for you. He is an all time great in pool, is a first class human being and is very easy to speak with. He still resides in Scranton, Pa on Pellman Ave I beieve. Perhaps you would want to contact him regarding further info on your father. Hope this helps you.

CharlesHoward
01-09-2006, 03:28 PM
Thanks so very much for the information, it is highly appreciated. I will look into the leads. Charles

TerryArdeno
01-09-2006, 03:29 PM
Re: Norman "The Jockey" Howard [re: TerryArdeno]
03/08/02 06:17 PM (64.232.105.167) Edit Reply Quote

He was from a place called Union City that's either in NJ or PA, Terry; the nickname came from his height. Howard had one of the corniest hustler's acts I ever saw: ask someone to play some $2 9-ball, slough off a rack or two and raise the stakes slightly, repeat till he was stuck $15 or so, and then demand to play for $15 a game. Acted slightly drunk, too. On the square, he was considered a fairly good player - maybe slightly above shortstop level - and is remembered best as the only male player anyone ever saw burst into actual tears when he was getting beat. (There are many eyewitness accounts of this.) He played in the first few Johnston City tournaments of the early '60s without accomplishing much; as far as I know, he's still alive. GF

I forgot about this being on this board...I thought it was on the AZBilliards board...this was in the archives and the response was one from George Fels, one of our sports true treasures! I'm not computer literate so I don't know how to hook the past archived thread to this. Hope this helps too!

Deeman3
01-09-2006, 03:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TerryArdeno:</font><hr> Charles,
I am from Washington, Pa and have several family members in Uniontown and the surrounding area. I had heard of your father but nobody around here seemed to have info on him. I mentioned something about him to Jim Rempe when we were talking last year and right away he knew who I was talking about. He may be able to provide some info for you. He is an all time great in pool, is a first class human being and is very easy to speak with. He still resides in Scranton, Pa on Pellman Ave I beieve. Perhaps you would want to contact him regarding further info on your father. Hope this helps you. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">Terry/Charles:

I think, Halloffame, who posts here sees Jimmy about every day. He might get some info for you or get you two together. Terry is right, he is one of the nicest persons you would ever want to meet and knows a lot about everyone from the PA area. </font color>

Deeman

iacas
01-09-2006, 05:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TerryArdeno:</font><hr>He was from a place called Union City that's either in NJ or PA, Terry; ...<hr /></blockquote>

I live about 20 miles from a Union City, PA if that helps. I live in Erie - Union City is just south of me.

There may also be one in NJ, but there is a Union City here in PA, I can tell you that.

01-10-2006, 08:09 PM
Your Dad was out in California around 1964,65 or 66 playing in Berkely Oakland San Francisco. I was lucky enough to take him to a couple of spots and contrary to what some people have written he was quite the player in those years.
I had some 8x10 photos from the first Stardust Open won by Ronnie Allen. I gave them all to Grady Matthews. One of those pictures is your Dad.
Contact Grady and ask him about the pictures Jerry out in California sent him.

Good luck in your search!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DickLeonard
01-11-2006, 05:55 AM
Terry I don't think the old posts are retrieveable but George now posts as 071838. I assume its his birthday.####

CharlesHoward
01-11-2006, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the kind words about my father. I will try to get a second party involved in order to retrive the picture, seeing that I have tried to write Grady on another website with no luck in a response. I have a few phone numbers from webmasters who may be able to help me. Once again, all your responses have helped me greatly as I am learning about his history. Thanks, Charles