PDA

View Full Version : Derby City

mazngrace
01-08-2006, 09:25 PM
Does anyone know who won the banks this weekend?
Thanks,Chuck

cueball1950
01-08-2006, 10:21 PM
Banks are still going on. they are down to 6 or 8 players i believe. the ring banlk game was won by the same guy who won it last year.....you can also go to azbilliards.com home page and keep up with it. but let me say thank you for stopping by and posting. we are a great bunch of people on this board......................mike

mazngrace
01-08-2006, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the info Mike. Thanks for the welcome also. I have actually been on and off of the board for a few years. A few of my fellow Cincinnatians,and you too Tom, have posted here for a long while. I need all of the help and advice I can get!
Thanks,
Chuck..Should be staying at the Executive West watching the tourney!!!

Tom_In_Cincy
01-08-2006, 11:19 PM
hey Chuck, tell eveyone I said HI... and If I had my way, I'd be in Louisville this year too.... maybe in 2007

Cornerman
01-09-2006, 06:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mazngrace:</font><hr> Does anyone know who won the banks this weekend?
Thanks,Chuck
<hr /></blockquote>BAnks finish this PM (1/9/06)

Jaime Farrel
Jason Kirkwood
Jason Miller
Tony Fargo

Last four standing.

Fred

Deeman3
01-09-2006, 06:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> hey Chuck, tell eveyone I said HI... and If I had my way, I'd be in Louisville this year too.... maybe in 2007 <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Leaving out in the morning. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Deeman </font color>

BillPorter
01-10-2006, 03:56 PM
Jason Miller beats Jason Kirkwood in the finals.

wolfdancer
01-10-2006, 04:16 PM
Bill, while the "Beard" didn't do very well....Jason is his student.

Tom_In_Cincy
01-10-2006, 05:44 PM
Jason Kirkwood took lessons from Freddy?

I know that Jason Miller from Dayton OH took lessons from John Brumbeck.

wolfdancer
01-10-2006, 07:34 PM
Tom, during the webcast....the Beard was commentating, and I believe claimed to have shown some to Jason Miller....maybe I heer'd wrong?????
The one pocket is on now.....and where are the spectators?
They're playing to an empty room.

mazngrace
01-11-2006, 02:18 PM
Will do Tom, although I probably only get out to play a couple of times a month. No big news here except that Sharks And Shooters closed down(bankrupt)and Snookers is not doing well at all. Michaels is now home of the C.S.P.L.

pooldude
01-11-2006, 07:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Jason Kirkwood took lessons from Freddy?

I know that Jason Miller from Dayton OH took lessons from John Brumbeck. <hr /></blockquote>

Jason took lessons from John Brumbeck? I have never heard that. I know that Gary Spaeth and Joe Brown taught him a lot. When he gets back I will ask him if he took lessons from John or Freddie.

Vagabond
01-11-2006, 08:51 PM
so as danny D Liberto about Jason Kirkwood.They never heard of Jason till this tournament.It tells that these ex champions are out of touch with pool world.Freddie in his commentary said that he gave few lessons to Jamie Farrel. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Vagabond
01-12-2006, 06:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vagabond:</font><hr> so as danny D Liberto about Jason Kirkwood.They never heard of Jason till this tournament.It tells that these ex champions are out of touch with pool world.Freddie in his commentary said that he gave few lessons to Jamie Farrel. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Around 3 years ago Jason kirkwood and Richie Smeigal(Bay city, MI)were in JOB (Madison, TN) in a Bar tournament.Shanon Daulton,Johny Archer and others did not know who those kids were.Everybody knew about them when they beat Matlock,Shannon,johny and some other big names. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Cornerman
01-12-2006, 10:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cornerman:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote mazngrace:</font><hr> Does anyone know who won the banks this weekend?
Thanks,Chuck

Jaime Farrel
Jason Kirkwood
Jason Miller
Tony Fargo

Last four standing.

Fred <hr /></blockquote>Gabe Owen, not Fargo. Damn rumor mill.

Snapshot9
01-12-2006, 11:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cornerman:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote mazngrace:</font><hr> Does anyone know who won the banks this weekend?
Thanks,Chuck

Jaime Farrel
Jason Kirkwood
Jason Miller
Tony Fargo

Fred ... I was under the impression that Gabe Owen got
4th, not Tony Fargo per posts on AZB.

Last four standing.

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

Tom_In_Cincy
01-12-2006, 01:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooldude:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Jason Kirkwood took lessons from Freddy?

I know that Jason Miller from Dayton OH took lessons from John Brumbeck. <hr /></blockquote>

Jason took lessons from John Brumbeck? I have never heard that. I know that Gary Spaeth and Joe Brown taught him a lot. When he gets back I will ask him if he took lessons from John or Freddie. <hr /></blockquote>

Jason spoke of John recently (2003)giving him "BANK Pool" lessons.

Jason, in his younger and pre-marriage days, played on a VNEA team that had Joe Brown, Rick Garrison, Gary Speath and one of the Cincinnati Carilli (sp?) brothers and won a national championship. Jason was all of 17 or 18 years old, maybe younger.

Gary was and Joe "Out of Town" Brown still is very good 9 ball players. Gary's game was Banks and One Pocket, but played a very decent 9 ball game.

If you're at the DCC, Rick Garrison is there, ask him or ask Jason Miller.

pooldude
01-17-2006, 04:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooldude:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Jason Kirkwood took lessons from Freddy?

Jason took lessons from John Brumbeck? I have never heard that. I know that Gary Spaeth and Joe Brown taught him a lot. When he gets back I will ask him if he took lessons from John or Freddie. <hr /></blockquote>

Jason spoke of John recently (2003)giving him "BANK Pool" lessons.

Jason, in his younger and pre-marriage days, played on a VNEA team that had Joe Brown, Rick Garrison, Gary Speath and one of the Cincinnati Carilli (sp?) brothers and won a national championship. Jason was all of 17 or 18 years old, maybe younger.

Gary was and Joe "Out of Town" Brown still is very good 9 ball players. Gary's game was Banks and One Pocket, but played a very decent 9 ball game.

If you're at the DCC, Rick Garrison is there, ask him or ask Jason Miller. <hr /></blockquote>

I asked Jason today if he took lessons from John Brumbeck. He said he has never taken lessons from John although he has asked John a few times if he wanted to gamble.

Tom_In_Cincy
01-17-2006, 07:02 PM
I must be mistaken then.

pooldude
01-17-2006, 08:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> I must be mistaken then.
<hr /></blockquote>.
Tom, I have thought about that and to be honest with you I really don't know. You may be right as I am only going with what Jason told me. Maybe John showed him something once and he took that as teaching Jason.

I have known Jason since he was 15 and I never heard mention of anyone other than Gary or Joe teaching him anything, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Tom_In_Cincy
01-17-2006, 09:13 PM
Jason wasn't much older than 15 when he and I matched up a the OLD Airways in the back of the shopping mall.

There were some great players in that 'tight' little room.

The new Airways is Great... tables, players, FOOD and just off the expressway.

pooldude
01-18-2006, 04:13 AM
You're right Tom. I liked the old Airway Billiards behind the mall. I won a few of their Monday night tournaments then, but that was when I was younger and my eyes were better. The best I have done at the new place is 4th a couple of times.

curly
01-18-2006, 02:53 PM
Tom, do you know if Forest Park Billiards became the location for the old Airways Billiards? I was there in the early 70's when Joe Burns put on some tournaments.

Curly

pooldude
01-18-2006, 03:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote curly:</font><hr> Tom, do you know if Forest Park Billiards became the location for the old Airways Billiards? I was there in the early 70's when Joe Burns put on some tournaments.

Curly <hr /></blockquote>
I don't believe so. I think Forest Park closed a long time ago. The old Airway Billiards had a new owner but they also closed a year or two ago.

curly
01-18-2006, 03:26 PM
The only reason I asked was that Forest Park Billiards was also in the rear of a shopping center similar to the old Airways location. I recall that Baby Face was a pro at Airways many years ago. Burns had a tournament in 1974 when so many pros were there. Cole Dixon from CA, St. Louie-Louie, Rempe, Buddy Hall won his first tournament then, Larry Hubbart, Danny Diliberto, and so many more. I recall seeing Earl Strickland there for the first time and he was gambling with Mataya and won pretty good.

pooldude
01-18-2006, 05:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote curly:</font><hr> The only reason I asked was that Forest Park Billiards was also in the rear of a shopping center similar to the old Airways location. I recall that Baby Face was a pro at Airways many years ago. Burns had a tournament in 1974 when so many pros were there. Cole Dixon from CA, St. Louie-Louie, Rempe, Buddy Hall won his first tournament then, Larry Hubbart, Danny Diliberto, and so many more. I recall seeing Earl Strickland there for the first time and he was gambling with Mataya and won pretty good. <hr /></blockquote>
I played a few times at Forest Park Billiards and remember the '74 tournament. I thought about entering until I was told the entry fee was $300. A little too much for me then.

I think Joe Burns opened up Play Time Billiards on Linden Ave. in Dayton. Although it may have been called Golden Cue when he had it. Anyway, Play Time Billiards is still around and Jason is in there a lot too.

freddythebeard
01-19-2006, 05:25 AM
I have never given lessons to either Jason Kirkwood or Miller. However, I have helped Jamie Farrell with his game, as he will attest. Jamie learned my style of Chicago "squeeze" Banks. It almost won him the tournament as he was not on his A-game in the semi-finals, and had to rely on outmanaging Jason Kirkwood. He took Kirkwood to the hill, got anxious, took a marginal shot and lost.
the Beard

Deeman3
01-19-2006, 06:55 AM
Freddy,

Since you never got the cool t-shirts in 3x, give me a web site or address in a P.M. so I can get one of them, the best looking shirt at the DCC!

Congratulations on the banks HOF!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Deeman

freddythebeard
01-19-2006, 11:15 AM
I am ordering more shirts from a company that is closer to me. You can email me at fbentivegna@sbcglobal.net, my site Bankingwiththebeard.com is being worked on, so you need to email me with your info.

the Beard