PDA

View Full Version : Possible 14.1 break Shot?

nAz
01-09-2006, 09:31 PM
is this shot possible:
START(%AF9N9%BL7P8%CJ5O5%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%H M7N8%IL7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%PD3N9%YD4D9%ZI6N5%]I0N8%^G2N8
%eB5a2)END
wEi (http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html)
I was told today over the telephone it could be made if you shoot the break ball into left or right of the center depending on which corner you want. I won't be able to try it for a while myself since i am taking a sabbatical. so what do you think is it possible?

Deeman3
01-10-2006, 02:06 AM
Naz,

I think anything is possible but I bet it's not a very dependable shot. I'd like to hear what Dick Leonard has to say about it.

Deeman
would not bet my lunch on it...

Rich R.
01-10-2006, 03:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> I think anything is possible but I bet it's not a very dependable shot. I'd like to hear what Dick Leonard has to say about it. <hr /></blockquote>
Deeman, I have to agree with you. The shot may be possible, but I would think it is a very low percentage shot. Something nice to try, in practice or a fun game, but I wouldn't use it for the cash.

I too am waiting for Dick, or Steve Lipsky, to comment.

DickLeonard
01-10-2006, 06:05 AM
Deeman all I get is a pooltable with racked balls. My Wei edu is not complete Qtec promised to show me.####

Deeman3
01-10-2006, 06:10 AM
Dick,

To describe this shot, The cue ball is directly behind the rack almost on the rail, the object ball is between it and the rack of balls at the back. It looks like he hits the object ball into the back of the rack and "bounces" the ball over into the pocket. The cue ball and object ball are lined up centered with the back of the 14 racked balls. He just hits it slightly to the left of the pack so it caroms off and over into the pocket.

Sorry, but that's about the best description I can give.

Deeman

Chopstick
01-10-2006, 06:24 AM
I have seen a shot like this off the side of the rack. I have never seen it from the back though. I will test it after while and let you know.

Chopstick
01-10-2006, 06:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Deeman all I get is a pooltable with racked balls. My Wei edu is not complete Qtec promised to show me.####

<hr /></blockquote>

#### When you get the pooltable with the racked balls up, go to Nazs post and highlight this part.

%eB5a2)END

You can do that by putting your pointer at the begining of START, hold down the left mouse button and drag the pointer to the end of END. The text will change color when it is highlighted. Press the right mouse button and it will bring up a small menu. Click on copy. Then go to the WEI table and press the Paste button below the table. It will ask you if you want to do this. Just click OK and it will show the shot.

What's the 33 for?

DickLeonard
01-10-2006, 06:35 AM
Deeman I know that shot well. That is a dead shot if you shoot the object ball into the side of the middle ball it will carom off the second ball and into the corner pocket. It must be hit with follow to make the shot, draw forces the oject ball thru the kiss. Likewise a kiss shot that is short can be made by hitting the shot with draw.

Many times a break shot off the back rail will hit that exact spot and the cueball will scratch in the other corner. I think that is how that shot was discovered.####

DickLeonard
01-10-2006, 06:40 AM
Chopstick Deeman described it perfectly the 33 Is I forgot to hold the Caps to get #### and got 333.I was to lazy to erase. I wasn't afraid of Eg8r monitoring my posts on this board.Lol ####

Pied Piper
01-10-2006, 08:08 AM
where can I download the WEI EDU? I lost the link.

supergreenman
01-10-2006, 08:30 AM
I was wondering what happens in this situation when your last shot has bumped your break ball into the rack area?
START(
%FK6P1%PN5U4

)END
where do you rack the balls?

James

Rich R.
01-10-2006, 09:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pied Piper:</font><hr> where can I download the WEI EDU? I lost the link. <hr /></blockquote>http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/9egg/

Rich R.
01-10-2006, 09:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote supergreenman:</font><hr> I was wondering what happens in this situation when your last shot has bumped your break ball into the rack area?
START(
%FK6P1%PN5U4

)END
where do you rack the balls?

James <hr /></blockquote>
You move the ball to the head spot and rack the balls in the normal manner.

START(
%AK6P1%BL8P7%CJ7O4%DL8N2%EM7P1%Fg5O5%GK7N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK8M6
%KJ7P7%LJ7N2%MK7Q3%NJ7Q9%OJ7M0%PO1U9
)END

Edited to replace the cue ball.

dmgwalsh
01-10-2006, 09:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> is this shot possible:
%eB5a2)END
wEi (http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html)
I was told today over the telephone it could be made if you shoot the break ball into left or right of the center depending on which corner you want. I won't be able to try it for a while myself since i am taking a sabbatical. so what do you think is it possible? <hr /></blockquote>

I think I may have seen that shot recently, maybe in Byrne's most recent book. Put a lot of high on the cue, translates to draw on the object ball, maybe. I'll have to look.

supergreenman
01-10-2006, 12:38 PM
ouch, that's going to make it hard to break up the rack. Thanks Rich.

J

Chopstick
01-10-2006, 03:09 PM
I just set up this shot and made it the first try no problem.

I cut into the middle ball about a half a ball to the left and drew the cue ball. Ball went right in. Looks like there might be some forgiveness in the shot.

nAz
01-11-2006, 12:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> I just set up this shot and made it the first try no problem.

I cut into the middle ball about a half a ball to the left and drew the cue ball. Ball went right in. Looks like there might be some forgiveness in the shot. <hr /></blockquote>

Ya Chops I got on my secound try, i tried it a few more times with mixed results not sure if i would do it during a tight match.

nAz
01-11-2006, 12:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Deeman I know that shot well. That is a dead shot if you shoot the object ball into the side of the middle ball it will carom off the second ball and into the corner pocket. It must be hit with follow to make the shot, draw forces the oject ball thru the kiss. Likewise a kiss shot that is short can be made by hitting the shot with draw.

Many times a break shot off the back rail will hit that exact spot and the cueball will scratch in the other corner. I think that is how that shot was discovered.#### <hr /></blockquote>

#### when i tried it with follow i made it and managed to jump the Cueball over a few balls by mistake... ended up with great shape.

I do not think i would try this shot in a tight match but it makes me wonder how common was this shot when you were playing 14.1 on a daily bases? also can you and anyone else here describe some other uncommon break shots?

DSAPOLIS
01-11-2006, 06:09 PM
I doubt this would ever be set up that perfectly in actual game. There's not enough space here to write why I (personally) would avoid it. IMHO, The highest runs are achieved when you keep things as simple as possible - just the way I play... and it works. Good shot, though.

nAz
01-11-2006, 09:48 PM
Ya I agree Mr.SAPOLIS i rather set up for this shot if the 15th ball was located under the rack.

START(
%AG1O2%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%PE7U7%eA6`9
)END

nAz
01-11-2006, 09:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote supergreenman:</font><hr> ouch, that's going to make it hard to break up the rack. Thanks Rich.

J <hr /></blockquote>

Dude you can still make a break shot from that layout:

START(
%AK6P1%BL8P7%CJ7O4%DL8N2%EM7P1%Fg6O5%GK7N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK8M6
%KJ7P7%LJ7N2%MK7Q3%NJ7Q9%OJ7M0%PO1U9%Wr5E1%Xh1O1%Y r4T5%Zg7P8
%[b6[0%\s4U0%]M2S5%^a3[3%eB5`9
)END

weI (http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html)

all you need to do is knock out a ball or two and you should have asecoundary break shot afterwards... sometimes that is easier said then done /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bob_Jewett
01-15-2006, 09:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote supergreenman:</font><hr> ouch, that's (break ball spotted on head spot) going to make it hard to break up the rack. ... <hr /></blockquote>
There are two standard shots to break from a break ball on the head spot. One goes two cushions off the head rail. The other, which was a favorite of Irving Crane, put the ball in a head pocket and came off the side rail just above the side pocket to hit the two head balls, then came to the other side cushion and spun out to the middle of the table. For Crane, it was like clockwork, and he usually ended up with two or three shots. Of course, you have to get the cue ball within a few inches of the right place for the shot, which Crane could do. The shot wants about a half-ball cut, and running follow.