PDA

View Full Version : Packing for Derby City

Deeman3
01-10-2006, 04:04 AM
Schedule meetings with staff, beg them not to let anyone get hurt or killed in plant while I am away. Note that cell phone battery dies the day before leaving and no one has an extra. Pull rank and swap with personal assistant's phone battery.

Get oil changed $30

Arrange for two worthless dogs to be kenneled at outrageous fee. $125

Watch as Deewoman packs enoough clothes for three weeks for five day stay.

Arrange for someone to feed horses.

Select cues and case to carry, work over shafts and repair broken latch on Justis.

Pack DVD player so I can watch a movie while Deewoman breaks all legal speed limits in Alabama, Tennesse and Kentucky.

Remind self to stay away from Kentucky Bar-b-que.

Clean and reload .45 automatic.

Buy beer and vodka, buy ice for ice chest and some orange juice.

Explain to CEO why playing in a pool tournament is more important than spending Saturday hosting Senator Richard Shelby.

E-Mail Senator Shelby appoligizing for not being available.

Receive autoreply e-mail from Senator Shelby indicating he is happy to hear your opinion on _________senate bill?!#?

Go into work at midnight so you won't feel guilty about leaving at 9:00a.m. just to save another vacation day for another tournment later.

Squeeze your fat butt into Deewoman's Corvette just so she can use your truck to deliver those worthless dogs to Doggie Hotel.

Find you have five suitcases to carry only one half of one has any of Deeman's stuff in it.

Get several thousand of the bank and explain to the wife why she doesn't need to cary any of it.

Print pictures of Bucktooth and Harry Platis so Ace will know who to watch out for.

Charge digital camera battery.

Explain to Deewoman that her driving straight through is worth it to catch the end of the one pocket despite her feeling that it's like watching paint dry.

Lie to her that you hear she can get some good grass for very little in Louisville.

Explain to my mother that it's not my fault that Uncle Ned decided to get married on the same weekend as the Derby.

Call Uncle Ned and tell him you have contracted Typhoid.

Pack an extra shaft for Ace as he is afraid his tip will come off. It's easier than telling him it takes about five minutes to put on a new one.

Bite down hard when Deewoman returns from picking up her a pair of underwear and finds over $660 worth of clothes that "she just had to have." Make secret note of revenge buying of an new cue at the tournament.

Pack that tip tool you borrowed from Keith in PA. three years ago and "forget" to return. Remember all the guys that "forgot" to return stuff to you.

Throw double-barreled shotgun in rear seat just to keep up your southern image.

Prepare to be forced to listen to rap music as long as Deewoman is behind the wheel. DON'T forget earphones for DVD!

Find out that 121 of 121 Korean employees have never heard of the Korean Dragon but every last one knows of The Black Widow. Cancel plans to have Charlie do demonstration at work this year. Talk to Jennette later.

Throw AR-15 in behind rear seat, you just never know.

Take Pings out of rear seat, this ain't a golf trip.

Print Mapquest and find you underestimated trip by two hours each way.

Print receipts for tournament showing you have already paid entry fees.

Pray Ace remembers the hotel confirmation number.

Remember you have played exactly 4 hours of pool on an adult table in the last two months! Yikes!

Try to find shirt that does not say "Deeman" all over it.

Print list of CCB'ers you expect to meet at tournament.

Write stupid list on CCB non-pool related just before pulling out.

I tell you guys, at this rate, the event better be damn well priceless.

Deeman

dg-in-centralpa
01-10-2006, 07:29 AM
Have a good trip and don't forget to check out Churchill Downs in your "FREE" time. LOL We'll expect a full report when you come back.

DG-wish I could be there

supergreenman
01-10-2006, 09:05 AM
Um, have a safe trip, and I hope you don't have to use all(or any) of that iron you packed. Play well and have fun.

James /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

MosconiJr
01-10-2006, 09:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> Schedule meetings with staff, beg them not to let anyone get hurt or killed in plant while I am away. Note that cell phone battery dies the day before leaving and no one has an extra. Pull rank and swap with personal assistant's phone battery.

Get oil changed $30

Arrange for two worthless dogs to be kenneled at outrageous fee. $125

Watch as Deewoman packs enoough clothes for three weeks for five day stay.

Arrange for someone to feed horses.

Select cues and case to carry, work over shafts and repair broken latch on Justis.

Pack DVD player so I can watch a movie while Deewoman breaks all legal speed limits in Alabama, Tennesse and Kentucky.

Remind self to stay away from Kentucky Bar-b-que.

Clean and reload .45 automatic.

Buy beer and vodka, buy ice for ice chest and some orange juice.

Explain to CEO why playing in a pool tournament is more important than spending Saturday hosting Senator Richard Shelby.

E-Mail Senator Shelby appoligizing for not being available.

Receive autoreply e-mail from Senator Shelby indicating he is happy to hear your opinion on _________senate bill?!#?

Go into work at midnight so you won't feel guilty about leaving at 9:00a.m. just to save another vacation day for another tournment later.

Squeeze your fat butt into Deewoman's Corvette just so she can use your truck to deliver those worthless dogs to Doggie Hotel.

Find you have five suitcases to carry only one half of one has any of Deeman's stuff in it.

Get several thousand of the bank and explain to the wife why she doesn't need to cary any of it.

Print pictures of Bucktooth and Harry Platis so Ace will know who to watch out for.

Charge digital camera battery.

Explain to Deewoman that her driving straight through is worth it to catch the end of the one pocket despite her feeling that it's like watching paint dry.

Lie to her that you hear she can get some good grass for very little in Louisville.

Explain to my mother that it's not my fault that Uncle Ned decided to get married on the same weekend as the Derby.

Call Uncle Ned and tell him you have contracted Typhoid.

Pack an extra shaft for Ace as he is afraid his tip will come off. It's easier than telling him it takes about five minutes to put on a new one.

Bite down hard when Deewoman returns from picking up her a pair of underwear and finds over $660 worth of clothes that "she just had to have." Make secret note of revenge buying of an new cue at the tournament.

Pack that tip tool you borrowed from Keith in PA. three years ago and "forget" to return. Remember all the guys that "forgot" to return stuff to you.

Throw double-barreled shotgun in rear seat just to keep up your southern image.

Prepare to be forced to listen to rap music as long as Deewoman is behind the wheel. DON'T forget earphones for DVD!

Find out that 121 of 121 Korean employees have never heard of the Korean Dragon but every last one knows of The Black Widow. Cancel plans to have Charlie do demonstration at work this year. Talk to Jennette later.

Throw AR-15 in behind rear seat, you just never know.

Take Pings out of rear seat, this ain't a golf trip.

Print Mapquest and find you underestimated trip by two hours each way.

Print receipts for tournament showing you have already paid entry fees.

Pray Ace remembers the hotel confirmation number.

Remember you have played exactly 4 hours of pool on an adult table in the last two months! Yikes!

Try to find shirt that does not say "Deeman" all over it.

Print list of CCB'ers you expect to meet at tournament.

Write stupid list on CCB non-pool related just before pulling out.

I tell you guys, at this rate, the event better be damn well priceless.

Deeman<hr /></blockquote>
Deemen,

Unless you packed the extra shaft for Ace in your playing cue pool case, I don't see where you packed your cue /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Wouldn't that be hell!

That's OK. You can use the new cue that you are going to buy, or I'll lend you mine.

I'm leaving this evening or 1st thing in the morning.

MJr (Mike)

SpiderMan
01-10-2006, 09:38 AM
Hey Dee,

Who is "Ace"?

SpiderMan

wolfdancer
01-10-2006, 10:02 AM
Dee, the event might not be priceless....but your post is.......It would make a good comedy skit!!!!
Well drive carefully, have a great trip, hopefully some great matches to watch.....and if bucktooth asks you to gamble some.... run, don't walk, away from him......

SPetty
01-10-2006, 10:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr>Throw double-barreled shotgun in rear seat just to keep up your southern image.<hr /></blockquote>You might want to check to see where that shotgun ended up - I don't think Corvettes have rear seats.

Have a great time, Dee! You've earned a little fun.

sack316
01-10-2006, 12:18 PM
list for Sack:

Realize that 2006 started almost 2 weeks ago.

Knows there was something... hmm.... something that I was supposed to be preparing to do.

Forget to ever get in contact with Deeman to see about what it was I was going to do.

Get on the CCB non-pool related board and then remember that it is indeed that time.

Remember that I forgot to ever get down to the license reinstatement office and actually get that dang blasted piece of plastic that makes it actually legal for me to be driving around right now.

After some quick thinking, say a little prayer of thanks for not getting pulled over these past few weeks of driving to work.

Decide an interstate trip driving by myself may not be the best of ideas to do right now-- just in case.

Bang head on keyboard for not calling Deeman like I had planned to see if I could rise with him and Mrs. Dee to Derby City. (ah, so that's what I had forgot to do besides reinstate my license!)

Tell league teammates and work I will be in this week after all, and they should all be thanking me for backing out of my plans last minute just for them! Ain't I nice!

Wish Dee and all other CCBers a fun and safe trip... and tell them to bring me back lots of cool stuff!

Sack

dg-in-centralpa
01-10-2006, 02:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sack316:</font><hr> list for Sack:

Bang head on keyboard for not calling Deeman like I had planned to see if I could rise with him and Mrs. Dee to Derby City. (ah, so that's what I had forgot to do besides reinstate my license!)

Sack <hr /></blockquote>

Unless Dee has a customized Vette, they only have two seats and I don't think Dee wants you sitting there with Deewoman on your lap.LOL

DG

dg-in-centralpa
01-10-2006, 02:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> I don't think Corvettes have rear seats.
<hr /></blockquote>

You are correct, they don't have rear seats, although from 1953 to 1962 they did have trunks. They couldn't hold much but if you take out the spare tire, throw two bags of ice plus 2-3 cases of beer in the tire well, it fit just fine as a driving beer cooler. Not that I ever did that of course. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

DG - had a '60 vette

Deeman3
01-15-2006, 08:51 AM
Spiderman,

Ace is Walter Kelley. He has been to PettyPoint but I don't rememebr if you were there when he was. He's from Longview.

Deeman

Ace
01-15-2006, 10:05 AM
Spider Man,
I met you at Petty Point. It was the get together a couple of weeks before the Chili Cook Off. I was on the bar box when you got there and it took you a while to get warmed up enough to remove me from the table.

SPetty,
Do you remember me, the beginner, coming over with Deeman?
By the way, I think I am getting the hang of pool now.
Thanks SPetty.........lol

Deeman3
01-15-2006, 10:09 AM
Well, I had a nice trip. Despite some major challenges and a poor effort at pool, I had a good time.

Staying up all but about 2 hours a night has not been done by this old guy for a few years. However, the matches are in the daytime and the action is at night, you just have no choice.

Highlights of the week were seeing an old friend, Bobby Pickle and his wife and spending a lot of time with them.

Playing on my first match on the TV table but having David Hemmah kick my butt. I played so bad, the girl who changed our linens tried to give me the 7,8 and break. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Seeing so many people I had not seen in years.

Watching Johnny A. and Shane V.H. tie up in 9-ball action, and all the one pocket matches, at night, wow...

Having Bob Henning, Grady and a couple of other recognise me.

Arguing with Buddy over who played the worst, it was for sure me...although he didn't even buy back into 9 ball!

Watching the tooth whine.

Watching Corey run 121 when it looked like he'd run 300....

Watching Tori buy $6 bar drinks and spill most of them!!!!

Seeing Ace play his first pro tournament (he did well and I'll let him tell his own story here).

Seeing the Efren of old play one pocket and nine ball. I really thought he'd win it all. Alex played very well. Chin from Dallas did great but ran into Efren. I talked to him for 15 minuted before I found out all he can say is "Yes".

Deewoman bought two new sticks so my revenge buying had no impact on her. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I did little gambling as there was so many unknowns (to me) I never stayed with someone long enough to choose sides.

Enjoyed the 14.1 show/challenge Bob Jewett put on. Much more entertaining that I thought it would be. Good runs, Danny Harriman from Springfield, MO. ran 139 in the prelims. Bob ran the show very well.

Never ran into Fred A. but heard he stood up very well in one pocket. Sorry, see you next time Fred.

Made my only side bet score off Earl slashing Vivian 7-1. Bobby thought she's make it to 4. Earl gave her the one game.

Watched Ace tell Earl how to shoot pool (really, ask him!)

Got into my own little argument with the Pearl. Another story, another time.

Picked up one of those neat bridge heads we used in the tournament. Loved the Smart tables as always. Can't blame them for my bad showing. Every shot I missed, the few I was given, was a miss never the table.

Watching Little David match up. I remember the first time he beat Cliff Joiner in Atlanta. He's come a long way.

Speaking of Cliff. I come to the bar, Tori is siting there telling Cliff how well I play one pocket. (She had no idea who he was) He offered me 9-7 and I told him where to go. I wouldn't play him at 9-6.

They had an IPT qualifier on Saturday and I saw some players who had jsut come for that. C.J Wiley and a few others. Funny, they will play on snooker cloth but they are qualifying on Simonis!!! I think the top two get invites....

O.K. Shortly, on my match on the TV table. It was like stepping into a sauna. I should not have sat in the player's chair during warm-ups as I was dripping by the time we got started. The cloth was much faster than anything I had played on. I got maybe three shots during the match only one where I had a nice chance but I just didn't have it. The few balls I made I over hit and landed in trouble but it was just as well. I was not going to play well as uncomfortable as I was. Ace and Tori said I rushed but I just felt like crap. Anyway, the heat and the fast cloth did not bother my opponent one bit. The night before I had played Ace five sets (race to 7), and won them all, running a few racks, that night we played 3 and I didn't get more than 3 games total. Sometimes your game just goes somewhere. I still don't know were it is! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif I hit a few balls with Bobby Pickle and am sure glad I don't have to play him every day. I remember playing him years ago in Nashville and at JOB. His game is better than ever. It runs on Budweiser.

Anyway, it was fun as usual.

Deeman
deadinalabama

Ace
01-15-2006, 10:49 AM
So, who is planning to go to next years Derby City Classic?
You can count me in for: 9-Ball Banks, One Pocket, and 9-Ball. I need to get a T-shirt anyways because I forgot to get one this year.

dg-in-centralpa
01-15-2006, 06:55 PM
Great stories and I can't wait to hear the Earl argument story.

DG-no longer a fan of Earl

Deeman3
01-17-2006, 08:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Great stories and I can't wait to hear the Earl argument story.

DG-no longer a fan of Earl <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">DG,

It was Earls's first match, I beleive. He was playing a young guy, good shooter. Earl was inspecting the rack and saying."Gee, how do you play this game if you can't even rack?" The opponent was trying to hold his own and said, "Nobody else has complained." The poor guy was plainly intimidated by Earl as Earl was shooting lights out.

The Earl decided to slam the table with his hand all around the rack. This was to show the balls would come loose if he did so! The poor guy tried to rack them and even offered to let Earl rack them, which he refused at first. Earl looked at me and said,"What do you think of a guy who can't rack?" I said, "Why don't you rack them or leave him alone?' Earl said, "I just don't know why some guys can't even rack?" He then slammed his fist down and had the guy re-rack again. I said, "Earl, don't slam your fist into the table." He said, "I'm just trying to show how the balls will separate on a light table. See?" I said, "Earl, in two weeks every nut kid in the country will be slapping the tables and when we tell them to stop, they'll say, "Earl does it!" He gave me the Earl look and proceeded to rack the balls himself. He then broke and made the nine on the snap.

My final part in this little drama I am not particularily proud of but I handed someone, not to be named, a Coke and asked them to open if for me, timing this in the middle of Earl's stroking a shot. "Pop", went the top and Earl looked a hole through my buddy but just went back to shooting. My buddy realized what I had done to him and just laughed. This was a pro player so Earl may have cut him some slack.

Hey, I still like Earl. I just can't figure what he's trying to do. He doesn't need to shark most of the players he matches up against. I asked him later why he made such a deal of the racking and he honestly believes the guy could not rack. Why he would not try to help the guy in a quiet manner (if this is true) is beyond me. He either runs over his opponents or does not show up at all. I also get the feeling he may be intimidated by some of the younger players (Alex, Corey).

Maybe he just has a Johnny McEnroe complex or something. It's a shame as he still has remarkable skills and can shoot as well as ever in some matches.

The 14.1 challenge was indeed very nice to watch. It was held in a little side room next to the restaurant and it was easy to get a seat right next to the table. I have always been a fan of straight pool but I think this event won many new ones. You can tell these newer guys may not have some of the positional knowledge of the older guys but their shotmaking skills are unbeleivable. Many times when runs looked finished, they found a way to keep going.

Deeman

</font color>

Rich R.
01-17-2006, 09:24 AM
Deeman, when Earl racked the balls, the kid should have gone over and slapped the table. Chances are, the balls would have loosened up, in the same way. Then the kid could have told Earl to learn how to rack.

It is sad to see a player, will Earl's talent, feeling that he has to resort to sharking. He does it over and over again. He may be the best to ever play the game of 9-ball, but, because of his antics, he will be remembered more as a jerk than a champion.

I just wonder when a tournament director will stand up to Earl and start penalizing him for his sharking antics? Probably never, because he puts butts in seats. People want to see him perform. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

JPB
01-17-2006, 09:44 AM
Once Earl got personal the young guy should have been extremely difficult to deal with. Earl is being treated way too well. Tournaments should do more; Earl should have been kicked out very quickly for that.

Deeman3
01-17-2006, 10:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> Deeman, when Earl racked the balls, the kid should have gone over and slapped the table. Chances are, the balls would have loosened up, in the same way. Then the kid could have told Earl to learn how to rack.

<font color="blue"> Yes, I thought of that as well but the kid obviously didn't. You know, it's really touth to even keep it together when you are playing a guy with Earls' talent but I would like to have seen the kid more agressive.

There were not "Tournament" people near the table. </font color>

It is sad to see a player, will Earl's talent, feeling that he has to resort to sharking. He does it over and over again. He may be the best to ever play the game of 9-ball, but, because of his antics, he will be remembered more as a jerk than a champion. <font color="blue">I agree. I used to support Earl a lot when the stuff was questionable but he seems to be getting out of control.

Another funny little thing. Earl was playing on the TV table and "Pots and pans" was sitting right behind him. Pots yelled, "Git him Stricknine!" Poor Earl nearly jumped out of his chair. </font color>

I just wonder when a tournament director will stand up to Earl and start penalizing him for his sharking antics? Probably never, because he puts butts in seats. People want to see him perform. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue"> He does put people in seats. Most want to see him play but a few want to see what he will do. </font color>

Deeman

Rich R.
01-17-2006, 11:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> He does put people in seats. Most want to see him play but a few want to see what he will do. <hr /></blockquote>
When Earl comes to the tournament room, a crowd always gathers, because they know it will be entertaining, in one way or the other.
If Earl the player shows up, they will be treated to some first class 9-ball.
If the other Earl shows up, they will be treated to some entertainment of a different variety. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

dg-in-centralpa
01-17-2006, 08:44 PM
Ya gotta love it!

DG /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif