PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when.........

supergreenman
01-10-2006, 08:47 AM
Last night when I was playing league my opponent says to me in the middle of my run.. " I know you're cheating, I just haven't figured out how" I was so steamed I almost missed my second last (easy) shot for an ERO.

I managed to get out but I felt like bashing the guy.

I think I handled it fairly well, after the 8 went down, I just went and sat down.

What one liners, drop kicks or sucker punches would you use when someone says BS like that?

James

Fran Crimi
01-10-2006, 09:29 AM
Mabe he meant it for only you to hear, maybe not. But responding back with a quick-witted comment really doesn't accomplish any kind of punch. It just acknowledges that his comment bothered you.

I see two options: One, you could stay quiet, as you did, and warn your team mates that when they play this guy, to be prepared for a shark move.

The other is to intentionally overreact to his comment. Turn to him and say loudly..."Are you accusing me of cheating?" Call your team mates over...make a big deal out of it. Tell them he's accusing you of cheating. It will sufficiently embarass him in front of his team beacuse he'll look like an idiot to them. This method can be disruptive though, and you'd have to try not to distract other teams while you are doing it. But it is effective. That will put him in a position to either prove it or admit he was just BS'ing you. He'll be too embarassed to ever try something like that again and he'll look like a jerk in front of his team.

People who pull crap like that never think you're going to take it public.

Fran

Scott Lee
01-10-2006, 10:09 AM
supergreenman...Although I agree with Fran's assessment of the assertive option, as a way to deal with the situation...I've almost always taken the tack of "consider the source and ignore it"! Our mothers always taught us that if you don't have anything nice to say to someone, you should say nothing at all. Ignoring this idiot, and playing your game is, imo, the preferred option of dealing with a difficult situation. The third option is to have your team captain make a formal complaint to the league operator.

Scott Lee

Drop1
01-10-2006, 10:14 AM
Tell him "with time you will figure it out"

Billy_Bob
01-10-2006, 10:18 AM
People who accuse others of such things many times do these things themselves, so they think everybody else does these things too. (Wrong!)

Bar players will say stuff like this. They say it when you are winning. It is either intentional sharking (trying to get you mad so your shots will be off and they can then win) or in the persons mind, they are "better than you" and can't face reality that you are a better player than them - so therefore you must be cheating to be winning.

In either case I just ignore it and win the game, then they get mad and I am happy with myself. I tell them "good game" and go to shake their hand. Sometimes they will not shake my hand - They are poor sports.

When someone says things like this, it means they think you are going to win, and the only way they can win is to distract you, make you mad, or throw you off on your shooting.

Personally I don't care to win this way. I would know that I did not win by skill, but won by cheating - making my opponent play less then they are capable of.

Actually I do the opposite. I try to build people up, give them confidence, do not say anything to distract them when they are shooting or thinking about a shot. Tell them good shot if they do well. (If tournament tell them good shot after match is over and say nothing *during* the match as even positive comments can be distracting.) If playing for fun, I let them win a few at first, then they have high confidence and play their best game.

So then I am playing people at their best. I have stiffer competition. *I* need to play better to beat these people. And this is the best thing for me in the long run. To play against people who are playing their best game. It makes me a better player.

So just ignore these comments. Might say "I don't cheat", "I did not intentionally scratch", etc. (Correct their misconception once, then don't say anything else, ignore them from then on.)

dave
01-10-2006, 10:40 AM
Just remind yourself that the guy is doing this as an act of desperation because he doesn't feel his game is strong enough to speak for itself. It's actually a compliment to your game and an expression of his fear of losing. When viewed this way, you can turn a negative into a positive which can then strengthen your own confidence and control over the situation. Don't respond unless he is so vocal and public about it that you need to raise it as an unsportsmanlike conduct issue/foul with the tournament director or league operator.

supergreenman
01-10-2006, 11:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> Tell him "with time you will figure it out" <hr /></blockquote>
I like that one, although like Fran said it just acknowledges that his comment bothered me.

J

sack316
01-10-2006, 12:01 PM
I doubt I'd even acknowlege with much more than a lighthearted smile anyway. But if you did/do feel the need to say anything, one of my favorite lines I've always said when playing with someone in response to something like that (note it's usually with friends in a joking manner) is "Well my motto is-- if you're not cheating, then you're not trying very hard."

Sack

CaptainHook
01-10-2006, 01:14 PM
I think that is a foul and he loses the game. When I was in a league you could not speak to the other player during his inning. if you did it was automatic loss of game. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Pied Piper
01-10-2006, 01:47 PM
That happened to me. I turned to the other guy, and said, maybe you ought to start cheating. Only way you'll beat me.

You could walk away. But your in a pool hall. Words are going to be exchanged. Might as well turn the shark around. It works for me. I love trash talk. Makes me play better for some reason. I never trash talk to a person until it is initiated, but i just like to feed off it.

heater451
01-10-2006, 05:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote supergreenman:</font><hr> Last night when I was playing league my opponent says to me in the middle of my run.. " I know you're cheating, I just haven't figured out how" I was so steamed I almost missed my second last (easy) shot for an ERO.

I managed to get out but I felt like bashing the guy.

I think I handled it fairly well, after the 8 went down, I just went and sat down.

What one liners, drop kicks or sucker punches would you use when someone says BS like that?

James <hr /></blockquote>Sounds kinda like a joke to me, although, that's one of my "default" views.

With pool, assuming that you're not pocketing balls by hand when no one is looking, or fuxing the scoresheet, I don't think there's a real way to cheat--and un-called fouls don't count.

It could have been a shark maneuver as well, but maybe not a fully-realized one.

Was the guy smiling, or was it dry?--How well do you know this guy?

========================

supergreenman
01-10-2006, 07:56 PM
I don't know this guy at all. I'd say sarcastic was his tone. There were no tight shots that he would have had to guess at my intentions, besides which I always call my shots to avoid confrontations. There is no question in my mind that he was just trying to throw me off my game.

J

onepocketfanatic
01-10-2006, 08:25 PM
I had a guy do something along these lines last week in league (tried to shark me by saying I didn't make a good hit when it was not even remotely possible to make a bad one). I must admit that it really p@**ed me off because I knew he had done it just to through off my game.
So rather than continue, I put my cue down, told him I had to take a leak, went to the bath room, went and got something to dring, took my sweet time about getting back, came back focused more than ever, and finished running out on him. He refused to shake my hand which was fine with me. He was a jackass.

CarolNYC
01-11-2006, 03:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just remind yourself that the guy is doing this as an act of desperation because he doesn't feel his game is strong enough to speak for itself. It's actually a compliment to your game and an expression of his fear of losing. When viewed this way, you can turn a negative into a positive which can then strengthen your own confidence and control over the situation. Don't respond unless he is so vocal and public about it that you need to raise it as an unsportsmanlike conduct issue/foul with the tournament director or league operator. <hr /></blockquote>

I agree!

Carol

Snapshot9
01-12-2006, 11:17 AM
I wouldn't take it lying down, I would say:

With the way you play, I too almost feel like I am cheating.
or
You know, for a $100 a set, you will have more time to
figure it out because you sure don't know when you are
outclassed.

Icon of Sin
01-12-2006, 11:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snapshot9:</font><hr> I wouldn't take it lying down, I would say:

<hr /></blockquote>
I like that one!!!

Cornerman
01-12-2006, 11:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote supergreenman:</font><hr> Last night when I was playing league my opponent says to me in the middle of my run.. " I know you're cheating, I just haven't figured out how" I was so steamed I almost missed my second last (easy) shot for an ERO. <hr /></blockquote>This is league play? What cheating do you think he could have been talking about?

Maybe he was just kidding. I say things like that all the time:

"The guy cheats. He doesn't let me play."

Fred

supergreenman
01-12-2006, 12:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cornerman:</font><hr> This is league play? What cheating do you think he could have been talking about?

Maybe he was just kidding. I say things like that all the time:

"The guy cheats. He doesn't let me play."

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

Fred the way you say it, it sounds funny. um or should that be reads funny. At any rate, I don't think humor was his intention. After a couple of days reflection on it as well as reading some of the helpfull posts on here I believe I did the right thing by not acknowledging him.

Thanks, for everybodys input.

James

CarolNYC
01-13-2006, 03:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote>
Ha HA HA!Thats funny......although,this poster "got steamed and almost missed an easy shot"
As long as he can maintain his composure and say it in that calm,cool,and collectively cocky way(which I believe YOU would),its all good /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
On the other hand,his opponent sounded scared,so......."whats the matter,your scared,buy yourself a pitbull!" /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Take care!
Carol
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

aco76
01-13-2006, 05:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote supergreenman:</font><hr>

James <hr /></blockquote>

"It's all about the cue...it pockets balls by itself!" /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

tateuts
01-13-2006, 05:32 AM
Just say this "It's simple. Just make sure you get your weight into every shot".

Hopefully, he'll practice that for a few hours and never make another ball.

Chris

supergreenman
01-13-2006, 08:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> Just say this "It's simple. Just make sure you get your weight into every shot".

Hopefully, he'll practice that for a few hours and never make another ball.

Chris

<hr /></blockquote>Oh that's Brilliantly evil /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I like it.

J

loyter
01-13-2006, 01:45 PM
I have a friend that used to handle these types of cracks. (6'4", 260) He would turn and say things like, "Well maybe you'll figure it out later while you are su*&amp;ing my @##$!"

Or maybe, "Better figure it out now, because it'll be a lot harder in a few minutes when you have a pool cue hanging out of your a@$!" (a@$!)

I try to be a little more clever...maybe something like... "I know you have a brain, but I just can't figure out how."