PDA

View Full Version : Conservatives call for return to core principles

SnakebyteXX
01-11-2006, 11:28 AM
Conservatives call for return to core Republican principles

By Edward Alden in Washington
Published: January 10 2006 19:45 | Last updated: January 10 2006 19:45

With Republicans embroiled in an influence-peddling scandal that could threaten their control of Congress, the biggest pressure for reform is coming from lawmakers who charge that the party’s woes have come from abandoning its core conservative principles.

Jeff Flake, an Arizona Republican congressman who co-led the petition drive that helped oust Tom DeLay, the House majority leader, said in an interview yesterday: “We don’t just need a new majority leader, we need a course correction.

“A lobbyist can’t be corrupt unless he has somebody to bribe, and we’ve created a culture that just breeds corruption,” he charged.

While the Republicans captured the House of Representatives in 1994 following a popular backlash against perceived corruption in the Democratic party, the party’s conservative critics say it has now fallen prey to the same Washington culture. A group of more than 100 members organised as the Republican Study Committee is hoping to use the leadership race to rein in what they see as runaway government spending championed by Mr DeLay and his allies.

At the top of the conservative reform agenda is an end to the practice of earmarking, in which members can secretly insert into huge spending bills billions of dollars in projects for favoured companies or other constituents – many of whom in turn donate to the lawmakers’ re-election funds. While the practice is not new, it has mushroomed since Republicans captured Congress. Last year 15,000 earmarks were added into various spending bills.

Legislators are facing growing pressure over the practice. Jerry Lewis, the Republican who chairs the House appropriations committee, is under fire after the San Diego Union-Tribune reported he had earmarked hundreds of millions of dollars to clients of a former colleague and lobbyist, Bill Lowery.

Mr Flake predicted the fallout over earmarking “would be ugly, and if we haven’t addressed it prospectively, we’re in deeper trouble than we know”.

The conservatives are also hoping to reform the congressional budgeting process by sharply reducing the use of “emergency” spending bills, such as those that have paid for the war in Iraq and rebuilding following Hurricane Katrina. They would also reform House rules to allow more challenges to spending bills that exceed agreed budget targets, and to ensure that such bills can be carefully reviewed by lawmakers before votes are held.

Mr Flake and other conservatives have yet to find a leadership candidate who stands clearly for their cause, however. Mike Pence, who chairs the Republican Study Committee, has said he will not seek the leadership. Conservatives are hoping to draft John Shadegg, another Arizona Republican.

Neither of the frontrunners, John Boehner of Ohio or the acting majority leader, Roy Blunt, appears an obvious champion for the conservatives. In a letter this week announcing his candidacy, Mr Boehner did not sketch out an aggressive reform plan, saying instead: “I think we need to engage in a bit of renewal.”

Mr Blunt, an ally of Mr DeLay, is part of the Republican leadership. But Mr Flake said that on the issue of earmarking “there’s a stark difference between the two. John Boehner has never put an earmark in an appropriation bill.” Mr Blunt, in contrast, “is an unapologetic champion of earmarks”, he said.

web page (http://news.ft.com/cms/s/cf26b6b2-820b-11da-aea0-0000779e2340.html)

wolfdancer
01-11-2006, 12:18 PM
good post.....and I wonder how the Republican stalwarts here, the ones with the party blinders on, will respond?.....probably won't, they'll just hope the thread goes away quietly unnoticed ...after all, when ones core beliefs in and absolute faith in, the dynamic leadership of the party are shaken....

pooltchr
01-11-2006, 02:11 PM
Republican or Democrat...it seems whoever gets inside the beltway ends up falling victim to the politics of Washington. They may be honest when they go in, but somehow the system seems to get 'em all sooner or later.
Steve

wolfdancer
01-11-2006, 02:54 PM
Steve, finally something we can agree on.....I'm sure many people enter the political arena, with the best intentions, but are steered into selling out by the politicians already in office. And with the money and perks being thrown around....it has to be hard to resist.....I could probably hold out for 15 minutes.....

Gayle in MD
01-11-2006, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the post, Snake, interesting. I don't think they can find anybody because none of them want to be scrutinized just now, lol.

I'd like to see a Newspaper do an expose' on who did the earmarking, and who gave the money, and to whom. WOW, now that would be enlightening...

Of course, if this was all about Democrats, nobody would be blaming Wasington, or the system, they'd be screaming about the Democrats. Just look what republicans spent to get Bill Clinton! A fortune!

Gayle in Md.

eg8r
01-12-2006, 06:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the post, Snake, interesting. I don't think they can find anybody because none of them want to be scrutinized just now, lol. <hr /></blockquote> You call it scrutinized. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I call it a flogging. No problem though, the same has been done to the left and I am sure plenty of it is deserved, but don't sugar coat your parties actions, tell it like it is. Any Rep that steps up now, better have a clean closet. Frankly I like that to be the case.

eg8r

eg8r
01-12-2006, 06:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
good post.....and I wonder how the Republican stalwarts here, the ones with the party blinders on, will respond?.....probably won't, they'll just hope the thread goes away quietly unnoticed ...after all, when ones core beliefs in and absolute faith in, the dynamic leadership of the party are shaken.... <hr /></blockquote> This response of yours is a good reason to keep people from posting. Many times when you don't see a response, it does not mean anyone is hoping it will go away, it just means there is nothing to say.

In no way is the following a response to your childish taunt...

I do believe we need to have the Rep party move back to its core values. I have said it a million times, the Reps in Congress right now look like a bunch of Liberals. With their free spending, pandering to lobbyists, trouble with the law, my gosh, they are the spitting image of the Democratic party. I hope they get some guts and quit kneeling to the Dems and push forth with their agenda. Lower spending (which means cut government-funded programs that have no reason being subsidized). They need to reduce government and spending.

eg8r

pooltchr
01-12-2006, 06:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Steve, finally something we can agree on.....I'm sure many people enter the political arena, with the best intentions, but are steered into selling out by the politicians already in office. And with the money and perks being thrown around....it has to be hard to resist.....I could probably hold out for 15 minutes..... <hr /></blockquote>

I think it's based on the art of compromise. I will vote for this if you vote for that mentality. And the party leadership puts pressure on their own to follow the party line. Seems like if you don't, you have no chance of moving up to any committees or position of leadership that would allow you to be effective in the system. I started another thread about how the system itself is the big part of the problem in Washington. In many cases, compromise is just a nice word for selling out on your individual beliefs.
Steve

Gayle in MD
01-12-2006, 07:19 AM
Well kiddo, I guess you can see how they responded now, huh? Watered down version of what has really been going on with the republicans. It is beginning to look like my little nicknames for their party were right on, LOL!

Now, I have it from a very good source, that while there are a very few Dems involved in this, they are no where near the level of the repubs, and that this scandel will morph every other one in the past, even Watergate, and Abscam.

Just think how easy it was for these repubs to cut programs which affected our retired citizens, while pushing through pork barrel programs to line their own pockets. I'm not saying that there haven't been crooks on both parties, just that it is a matter of degree, on that premise, repubs have shown themselves to be the most corrupt, by far, and their phoney proclamations to religious principles, are now shown up for just what they always were, a facade to get votes, IMO.

I think the Democrats should force through legislation to spend the exact same amount investigating the repubs, and they wasted on Clinton.

Gayle in Md.

Qtec
01-12-2006, 09:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I do believe we need to have the Rep party move back to its core values. I have said it a million times, the Reps in Congress right now look like a bunch of Liberals. <hr /></blockquote>

When was the last time the Reps reduced Govt and reduced spending? They always promise to do these things but they never do. EVERY time they get in power, the military complex makes a bundle!

Both parties are mainly made up of moderates. IMO, the moderate Reps and Dems believe, for the most part, in the same principals and values. There was always not much between them, until now. The Neo-Cons have hijacked the Govt and the WH no longer represents the majority of Americans- if they ever did.
The election was won/ stolen by the Reps appealing to RELIGIOUS orginisations and demonizing the Dems.
They put themselves up as the moral backbone of the country and guess what- it turns out that the most religious ie DeLay is one of the biggest crooks. He has demonstrated utter contempt for the democratic process and in my eyes, is a traitor to the American people. Instead of representing the country's interest he just lined his own pockets [ and the GOP ], sold himself, and the Party, to the highest bidder. He is a hypocrate and a crook and all YOU can do is point the finger at the Dems!!!!!!
Unbelievable!

Do you remember when the RNC had their convention in NY? When they rounded up people en masse and confined them for 3 days in 'Gitmo on the Hudson'? [ Pier 17 or 57.]

It might surprise you that the warehouse where the people were held WAS RENTED BY THE RNC!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They talk about bringing Democracy to Iraq! Ha.

Its time to admit it Ed- they suckered you and millions of others.

Q...

Gayle in MD
01-12-2006, 10:00 AM
Tap Tap Tap, I agree wholeheartedly. Did you know that Karl Rove broke into his own office to try to make it look like democrats did it, back in Texas, while he was slandering Anne Richards, painting she and her employees as being gay for Bush Jr. I read about so many of his dirty tricks he has used over the years in Politics, why he was even fired by Bush Senior at one point for his all too vigorous dirty tricks, at any rate, when I heard the Valarie Plame story, and that they all (Bush Cabinet)got on that AF1 with the memo about Joe Wilson, and his wife, then the week they get back, she is outed. You'd have to be an idiot not to see through this one, especially since sources in the CIA have been referred to in many books, saying that any memos about WMD's and SH, that didn't support the presidents wishes to go to war, were returned to sender, with a suggestion that the memo be Re-considered

IMO, the Americans who want the truth to come out are the true patriots, the ones who wear the blinders for their party, the "I've already made up my mind, don't confuse me with the facts" types, usually the same types who don't want to consider the Theory Of Evolution, they are the partisans, doing the goose step behind Geoerge Bush and the faux religious right....
]
Now Bush and company is trying to demonize the whistle blowers, saying they have put our National Security at risk, LMAO...WHAT National Security??? WE don't even have a universal list of terrorists in the GD airports, that's how concerned this ludicrous administration is about our National Security!

It is too quiet, MO is...something big is coming...and fighting them "Overthere" sure as hell isn't going to stop it. Bush needs to get his arse into the FISO court, obey the law, and spy legally. If his concerns about implementing the safe gaurds suggested by the 9/11 commission are any indication of his sincerity regarding our safety, I would hate to see who he is spying on, and why. If it is on the up and up, then what is he hiding????

Gayle in Md. Thankful for whistle blowers! They are the only thing that will insure our freedom and privacy.

pooltchr
01-12-2006, 10:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> Well kiddo, I guess you can see how they responded now, huh? Watered down version of what has really been going on with the republicans. It is beginning to look like my little nicknames for their party were right on, LOL!

Now, I have it from a very good source, that while there are a very few Dems involved in this, they are no where near the level of the repubs, and that this scandel will morph every other one in the past, even Watergate, and Abscam.

Just think how easy it was for these repubs to cut programs which affected our retired citizens, while pushing through pork barrel programs to line their own pockets. I'm not saying that there haven't been crooks on both parties, just that it is a matter of degree, on that premise, repubs have shown themselves to be the most corrupt, by far, and their phoney proclamations to religious principles, are now shown up for just what they always were, a facade to get votes, IMO.

I think the Democrats should force through legislation to spend the exact same amount investigating the repubs, and they wasted on Clinton.

Gayle in Md.

<hr /></blockquote>

Do you ever read a post before you respond??????????????????
Steve

Gayle in MD
01-12-2006, 11:22 AM
FYI, I was responding to Jack's first post. Try to keep up, before you jump on me, I know how hard that is for you to do, but give it a try, OK?

Gayle in Md. Jeesh

eg8r
01-12-2006, 11:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Its time to admit it Ed- they suckered you and millions of others.
<hr /></blockquote> I have not been suckered. The reasons why I voted for them, they have been doing just fine. I surely would never have wanted Gore to lead the country, period. He offered nothing, even less than W ever could. As far as Kerry, I surely did not want a traitor leading our military during a time of war. I also did not want Kerry or Gore having the opportunity to choose any Supreme Court justices. The Supreme Court is already too pregnant with Dems and it is finally time to clean house. Kerry and Gore would not have been able to do that.

My biggest peeve with W is spending. I agree with the war I just have a problem with the vast amount of money being spent that is not even making it over there. I hate the fact that we have to spend the money on Haliburton, when they have proven to waste the money, but guess what, there is no other company on the planet that can do the job.

I have not been suckered by their religion either, you see, I don't put Christians on a high pedestal and expect them to act like saints. "For all have sinned..." is a great verse in the Bible. When a Christian stumbles, has flaw in their character, whatever, I don't chastise them any more because they were Christian. This is what you and Gayle are doing. For some reason you have some mental block and act as if someone states they are Christian then they are perfect.

As far as your question about when have the Reps reduced government and spending...Not in recent history. That is the whole point of the thread...THEY NEED TO RETURN TO IT. They look too much like them nasty Dems. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

eg8r
01-12-2006, 11:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
FYI, I was responding to Jack's first post. Try to keep up, before you jump on me, I know how hard that is for you to do, but give it a try, OK? <hr /></blockquote> LOL, and you are too high and mighty to admit you are just as condescending as those you chastise?

eg8r

eg8r
01-12-2006, 11:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
when I heard the Valarie Plame story, and that they all (Bush Cabinet)got on that AF1 with the memo about Joe Wilson, and his wife, then the week they get back, she is outed. You'd have to be an idiot not to see through this one, <hr /></blockquote> You'd have to be an idiot to believe everything you read from your biased books.

eg8r

wolfdancer
01-12-2006, 12:34 PM
Taunt? how dare you sir accuse me of posting a taunt?
a friendly jibe perhaps...and thanks for upgrading your opinion of my posts to childish, from infantile.
I'm working on attaining your (sometimes)juvenile status
as now when yer feathers are ruffled a bit.....lol

Qtec
01-12-2006, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have not been suckered by their religion either, you see, I don't put Christians on a high pedestal and expect them to act like saints. <font color="blue"> I never said that you did. I never mentioned your religion at all because I dont think its important or relevant [ to me /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif]. What I dont like about THIS admin is that they turned the last election into a choice between moral values and not political ones. [ ie Abortion and gay marrige] They took the moral highground and have failed miserably. </font color> "For all have sinned..." is a great verse in the Bible. When a Christian stumbles, has flaw in their character, whatever, I don't chastise them any more because they were Christian. <font color="blue"> I always thought the main theme in Christianity was forgiveness and compassion. You dont see much of that coming from the WH. </font color> This is what you and Gayle are doing. For some reason you have some mental block and act as if someone states they are Christian then they are perfect.
<hr /></blockquote>

At the same time DeLay was speaking at Justice Sunday [ a blatent attempt by the Right-wing Neo-con GOPs to bring a certain religious ideology into the law] he was breaking the law and perverting the system. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Couple that with the mass arrests in NY, spying etc and you are not far away from a Fascist/ Rightwing Theocracy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Q

eg8r
01-13-2006, 04:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
and thanks for upgrading your opinion of my posts to childish, from infantile.
<hr /></blockquote> Did I ever call your posts infantile?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm working on attaining your (sometimes)juvenile status
as now when yer feathers are ruffled a bit.....lol <hr /></blockquote> My feathers have yet to get ruffled from this board. Well, I take that back, it did bother me to see Charlie Williams spam the board a while back but I am better now. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

eg8r
01-13-2006, 04:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Couple that with the mass arrests in NY, spying etc and you are not far away from a Fascist/ Rightwing Theocracy. <hr /></blockquote> I guess you can just couple and twists all your thoughts and call it whatever you would like. The reality is that it is no where near that.

eg8r