PDA

View Full Version : Ouch! $2 trillion war

nAz
01-11-2006, 11:54 AM
Man that is just for Iraq they did not even facxtor in Afganastan.anyways i feel safer sercure and confident about the future now...

Cost of Iraq war could top $2 trillion - study
Mon Jan 9, 2006 8:05 PM ET

By Jason Szep

BOSTON, Jan 9 (Reuters) - The cost of the Iraq war could top $2 trillion, far above the White House's pre-war projections, when long-term costs such as lifetime health care for thousands of wounded U.S. soldiers are included, a study said on Monday.

Columbia University economist Joseph E. Stiglitz and Harvard lecturer Linda Bilmes included in their study disability payments for the 16,000 wounded U.S. soldiers, about 20 percent of whom suffer serious brain or spinal injuries.

They said U.S. taxpayers will be burdened with costs that linger long after U.S. troops withdraw.

"Even taking a conservative approach, we have been surprised at how large they are," said the study, referring to total war costs. "We can state, with some degree of confidence, that they exceed a trillion dollars."

Before the invasion, then-White House budget director Mitch Daniels predicted Iraq would be "an affordable endeavor" and rejected an estimate by then-White House economic adviser Lawrence Lindsey of total Iraq war costs at $100 billion to $200 billion as "very, very high."

Unforeseen costs include recruiting to replenish a military drained by multiple tours of duty, slower long-term U.S. economic growth and health-care bills for treating long-term mental illness suffered by war veterans.

They said about 30 percent of U.S. troops had developed mental-health problems within three to four months of returning from Iraq as of July 2005, citing Army statistics.

Stiglitz, who won the Nobel Prize in Economics in 2001 and has been an outspoken critic of the Bush administration's Iraq policy, and Bilmes based their projections partly on past wars and included the economic cost

of higher oil prices, a bigger U.S. budget deficit and greater global insecurity caused by the Iraq war.

They said a portion of the rise in oil prices -- about 20 percent of the $25 a barrel gain in oil prices since the war began -- could be attributed directly to the conflict and that this had already cost the United States about $25 billion.

"Americans are, in a sense, poorer by that amount," they said, describing that estimate as conservative.

The projection of a total cost of $2 trillion assumes U.S. troops stay in Iraq until 2010 but with steadily declining numbers each year. They projected the number of troops there in 2006 at about 136,000. Currently, the United States has 153,000 troops in Iraq.

Marine Corps Lt. Col. Roseann Lynch, a Pentagon spokeswoman, said on Monday that the Iraq war was costing the United States $4.5 billion monthly in military "operating costs" not including procurement of new weapons and equipment.

Lynch said the war in Iraq had cost $173 billion to date.

Another unforeseen cost, the study said, is the loss to the U.S. economy from injured veterans who cannot contribute as productively as they otherwise would and costs related to American civilian contractors and journalists killed in Iraq.

Death benefits to military families and bonuses paid to soldiers to re-enlist and to sign up new recruits are additional long-term costs, it said.

Stiglitz was an adviser to U.S. President Bill Clinton and also served as chief economist at the World Bank. (Additional reporting by Charles Aldinger in Washington)

wolfdancer
01-11-2006, 12:08 PM
nAz.....don't worry....we'll pay for it with our tax cuts, averaging a couple of hunderd, which will allow us to spend several thousand, thus generating additional tax revenues, which in turn will pay for this war and the ones to follow....wait till they find out that Africa is rich in oil, and that despotic leaders are slaughtering people by the thousands.....we will become morally outraged, and ....

nAz
01-11-2006, 12:16 PM
"....wait till they find out that Africa is rich in oil" What? when?! damn how come i am not privy to this kind of info! i want to invest!!

wolfdancer
01-11-2006, 12:27 PM
stick with tungsten for now.....we ain't ready to drill yet.

Cueless Joey
01-11-2006, 02:37 PM
Jeesh. I am shocked.
How do we end this or minimize any more damage?
I think I'm gonna sell my house now.

Gayle in MD
01-11-2006, 04:31 PM
What a total waste of lives, money and resources. Just imagine if you factored in the costs of Afghanistan, Iraq, and the so called 'WAR on Terror' AND restructuring and lumping various agencies into Homeland Security, that turned out to be a waste, too. AND the interest we are paying on the debt.

Just goes to show how much waste and devastation comes along with making unrealistic decisions. We're still not safe, Iraq is in civil war, we're still dependent on foreign oil, we still don't have bin Laden, the deficit is still climbing, the only good thing is that SH is in jail, and we killed a few al Qaeda, which were replaced by thousands more, but believe me, if you walk through Walter Reed, and see the true tragedy of this dumb war, all you can feel is anger, absolute anger.

One would think that a little bit of patience to let the inspectors finish their jobs may have been a more viable solution? Saddam was, after all, already in a box.

Gayle in Md.

nAz
01-11-2006, 05:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> What a total waste of lives, money and resources. Just imagine if you factored in the costs of Afghanistan, Iraq, and the so called 'WAR on Terror' AND restructuring and lumping various agencies into Homeland Security, that turned out to be a waste, too. AND the interest we are paying on the debt.

Gayle in Md. <hr /></blockquote>
we all know that the rich will pay for this war. they can use their tax cuts to buy war bonds or somethin? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Drop1
01-11-2006, 05:57 PM
We can borrow the money from China,since they already beat us to the African oil,or maybe if we borrow money from China to help Russia develope the largest oil reserves in the world- - shucks the Russians,and the Chinese are working on that. Lets ask the coalition of the willing what they think,at least the ones still 100% behind the war. Hey lets borrow the money from the Drug Lords with the new laws in place,that would be pocket change.

DickLeonard
01-12-2006, 05:52 AM
Gayle, as I like to point out AlQaeda bought 18 airline tickets and 4 courses in flying airplanes, they didn't need courses in landing. This set off the Red Flag but everyone was sleeping.

Total cost maybe $100,000 and we have spent a Trillion and still No Osama. This sounds like the making of a song. STill No Osama. What Fools Are We,who put our Faith in Christianity. Allah must be the One Still No Osama.####

Gayle in MD
01-12-2006, 07:27 AM
LMAO!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Good one!

When are the twins leaving for Iraq?

Gayle in Md.

Gayle in MD
01-12-2006, 07:50 AM
Hey Dick, here's a thought for you, Jim, my hubby, has recently gotten addicted to this high tech computer series and sits here for hours and hours flying a fighter jet, exact replica of all the controls on the dashboard, many various way of seeing the periferral views of yourself and your attackers, the ground, everything...with other jets trying to shoot his jet down. He has even bought the physical attackments that go with the game, total flight control system. We used to have a little Mooney Executive four passenger and he was hooked on flying for years, along with my Dad, but he is really hooked on this computer game, and has dark circles from Jet Lag, LOL. Just Imagine the terrorists getting hold of this! They don't even have to go to flight school now!

Dick, do you think, just maybe, if we hadn't gone into Iraq, parlayed all the sympathy we were getting from other countries after 9/11 into a world summit organization for religious understanding, and taken the time to form a cohesive multi-national ortganization to fight terrorism, and track them down, by using diplomacy and communication, combining multi-national think tanks to zero in on the technical opportunities for freedom from oil dependency, and the universal need for fossil fuels, do you think we might just be better off than we are now. I remember thinking back when Bush and company were doing the mushroom cloud rounds, that we had the world in our hands after 9/11. Other Nations could see more than any other time that alQaeda, bin Laden, and the terrorist cells around the world were a great threat to all nations. Going into Iraq, never made sense to me, going to Afghanistan did, but we didn't get what we went to get in Afghanistan, because we got sidetracked settling the score for Bush Jr. in behalf of his dad, Bush Sr. Most all intelligence points to the fact that Afghanistan was our best opportunity to get bin Laden, and Bush blew it!

Love,
Gayle

Love,
Gayle

eg8r
01-12-2006, 08:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey Dick, here's a thought for you, Jim, my hubby, has recently gotten addicted to this high tech computer series and sits here for hours and hours flying a fighter jet, exact replica of all the controls on the dashboard, many various way of seeing the periferral views of yourself and your attackers, the ground, everything...with other jets trying to shoot his jet down. He has even bought the physical attackments that go with the game, total flight control system. <hr /></blockquote> Hey, I have contemplated moving into Integration and Test here at work and I would be doing this for a living. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

nAz
01-12-2006, 02:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> LMAO!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Good one!

When are the twins leaving for Iraq?

Gayle in Md. <hr /></blockquote>

Right after they try out for American idol. then its off to the USO so they can do their part. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

nAz
01-12-2006, 02:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
Hey Dick, here's a thought for you, Jim, my hubby, has recently gotten addicted to this high tech computer series and sits here for hours and hours flying a fighter jet, exact replica of all the controls on the dashboard, many various way of seeing the periferral views of yourself and your attackers, the ground, everything...with other jets trying to shoot his jet down. He has even bought the physical attackments that go with the game, total flight control system. <hr /></blockquote> Hey, I have contemplated moving into Integration and Test here at work and I would be doing this for a living. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

Eg8r i am lost what do you mean by this by "Integration and Test"?

eg8r
01-13-2006, 04:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Eg8r i am lost what do you mean by this by "Integration and Test"? <hr /></blockquote> Integration and Test is an area within Systems Engineering. The company I work for designs/builds military simulators, both ground and flight. The Int and Test group sets up the sims and tests them. Which means, they play sim games for a living. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif A week or so ago I had the chance to play in them and it is pretty awesome.

Anyways, there is a lot more to it than that like troubleshoot, delivery to customer, etc. but that is not the part that interests me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r

Gayle in MD
01-13-2006, 06:43 AM
Ed, if you do get into that field, be prepared to get hooked! I've had to get pretty creative since he got hooked. The first night he got into it, and after he had been working all day, he got on the computer and was still on here at seven in the morning! A few weeks later, when he started getting dark circles under his eyes, I had to put together a flimsy flight attendant outfit and do my "Coffe, Tea or Me" routine, LOL, I know how to get his landing gear down, and empty his tanks... /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Gayle in Md.

eg8r
01-13-2006, 10:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A few weeks later, when he started getting dark circles under his eyes, I had to put together a flimsy flight attendant outfit and do my "Coffe, Tea or Me" routine, LOL, I know how to get his landing gear down, and empty his tanks... <hr /></blockquote> Nice. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I am already hooked, I can go down their and fool around with the sims when they are testing, it would just be nice to do it full time.

eg8r

nAz
01-13-2006, 12:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
Eg8r i am lost what do you mean by this by "Integration and Test"? <hr /></blockquote> Integration and Test is an area within Systems Engineering. The company I work for designs/builds military simulators, both ground and flight. The Int and Test group sets up the sims and tests them. Which means, they play sim games for a living. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif A week or so ago I had the chance to play in them and it is pretty awesome.

Anyways, there is a lot more to it than that like troubleshoot, delivery to customer, etc. but that is not the part that interests me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

Sweet! i would love to spend a couple of hours on that kind of equipment. I have a friend that is an engineer over at NASA, I have a standing invite to visit their future flight simulator as well as the Boeing 747 Sim. one day i'm gonna take that trip to see it.

Gayle in MD
01-14-2006, 06:26 AM
Hey Naz, for a few buck you can buy your own, complete with the actual throtles and everything...this thing (Falcon Series) is amazing. Like I said, the terrorists won't have to sneak into flight school now. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

gayle in Md.

eg8r
01-16-2006, 09:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sweet! i would love to spend a couple of hours on that kind of equipment. I have a friend that is an engineer over at NASA, I have a standing invite to visit their future flight simulator as well as the Boeing 747 Sim. one day i'm gonna take that trip to see it. <hr /></blockquote> You should take the trip. I would never be able to offer anything of the sort. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I don't have ability to make that decision and you don't have the clearance. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r

nAz
01-16-2006, 09:20 AM
well i did fill out the national security questionnaire form SF-86... so i may have the proper Goverment clearance /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r
01-16-2006, 10:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
well i did fill out the national security questionnaire form SF-86... so i may have the proper Goverment clearance <hr /></blockquote> LOL, Need-to-know is the clearance you lack my friend. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Well, that and an LM badge.

eg8r