PDA

View Full Version : How well do you know your opponent?

KWILSON
01-11-2006, 01:10 PM
Just curious to see how many players actually find weaknesses in their opponents game. Do you do your homework?

dg-in-centralpa
01-11-2006, 05:44 PM
If in a tourney, I try to watch my opponent to get a feel for how he plays; slow vs. fast,wreckless, etc. If he plays fast, I try to play slow to get in his head. During league I do the same thing.

DG

SPetty
01-12-2006, 01:13 PM
I'm more of a "play the table" type, but I'll occasionally take advantage of a known or discovered weakness.

Snapshot9
01-13-2006, 06:16 AM
I always size up a money player before playing
him, and I try to catch upcoming opponents in
a tournament too. Spotting that 1 weakness
might just win a matchup against them.

nhp
01-13-2006, 07:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> If in a tourney, I try to watch my opponent to get a feel for how he plays; slow vs. fast,wreckless, etc. If he plays fast, I try to play slow to get in his head. During league I do the same thing.

DG <hr /></blockquote>

No offense but what you are doing is the sign of weakness/lack of condidence in one's own ability. I'm not saying you are a weak player, but that is a characteristic of a weaker player. Good players never change their style of play, no matter or how fast or how slow their opponent is.

Billy_Bob
01-13-2006, 11:23 AM
When I was first beginning to play pool, I would not notice who could do what - what each persons abilities were, because I had no idea what different players were actually doing. All I knew what another player could usually beat me.

Now I can watch various players play a game and instantly know how much skill and knowledge they have. Can they bank, can the kick and hit their ball, can they leave the cue ball in a perfect position for their next shot, can they use follow and get the cue ball to travel the exact distance for their next shot, can they use draw and get the cue ball to come back just the right distance, do they know how to use force follow, and on and on.

So I may see someone doing everything perfect for each shot, leaving the cue ball perfectly lined up for their next shot each time. Or I may see someone using center ball when they should be using follow (or whatever).

So the more *I* know about playing, the more I can tell about other players.

Do I use this knowledge in my playing? Sometimes. If I'm playing for fun, no one will play me anymore if I win every time. So if I am playing someone who will have a hard time winning, I will get all my balls out of their way (8-ball), then miss shots on purpose and leave the cue ball so they have an easy shot (Which they still miss). Or I will scratch on purpose so they can put the cue ball wherever they like. It is not easy to get some of these people to win!

But while I am doing this, I am practicing position play. And this can be quite difficult depending on where they leave the cue ball.

When playing tournaments, I play my best. How good/bad my opponent is does not have anything to do with my playing. Although if playing an exceptional player, I'll know that I lost if I don't make a ball on the break or miss a shot. So I'll lean my cue on the cue rest and sit down and watch them runout. If a lousy player, I keep standing because I know I'll have another shot soon.

Scott Lee
01-13-2006, 12:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> Good players never change their style of play, no matter or how fast or how slow their opponent is. <hr /></blockquote>

nhp...Excellent assessment! Like SPetty said...play the table, not the opponent! Even if you're playing Efren, he can't win sitting in the chair! 'Course, he's OUT of the chair much more often than in it! LOL

Scott Lee