PDA

View Full Version : IPT rules...

Icon of Sin
01-12-2006, 10:43 AM
Was just looking over the IPT site and noticed that breaking from the side rails is not allowed.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I wonder why not, I knew they are not allowing jump cues or phenolic tips and I guess I can sort of understand that /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif but why the hell no breaking from the side rails??? Oh well...

Im still pretty excited to see what the IPT does for the sport, even if it doesnt do to much I want to get my hands on a few of the matches from the king of the hill, that alone will be cool /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Snapshot9
01-12-2006, 11:11 AM
It simple, because breaking 8 ball from the side rail is to
simple, and with winner breaks, some players would run out
the whole set. So, I think for competitions sake, they the
break to the box. I wouldn't mind having the same rule for pro 9 ball competitions also

Icon of Sin
01-12-2006, 11:24 AM
They are trying to make it seem more competetive, but if both bplayers are allowed to do it, how is it not competetive. They lag for teh first break, the better player on the lag gets it.

As it is not impossible to Break and Run every rack, it is highly unlikely with the clusters that are more common in 8 ball.

I just think that is a crazy rule, I have never seen a rule like that in any other tournament, as long as they are behind the headstring they should be allowed to break from whereever they want. I like the idea of calling pockets though and full table ball in hand, that is the way 8 ball should be played. I think if they were to do away with the anti side rail breaking rule and the no jump cue and no phenolic tip rule then the rules would be perfect and would provide for more interesting matches.

(Dont get me wrong, Im not bashing the IPT, I think it is a great thing and cant wait to see it come to life.)

Cornerman
01-12-2006, 11:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Icon of Sin:</font><hr> Was just looking over the IPT site and noticed that breaking from the side rails is not allowed.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif<hr /></blockquote>

The two advantages I could think of was that they're giving an 8-ball on the break as a win, and they're using the SARDO rack.

I don't think they want the second ball break as an option, as the 8-ball will ride more often with that break. Of course, if that was the case, they'd just make an IPT rule that only the head ball could be hit on the break.

Because of the consistent racking of the SARDO, the head ball could be played in the side pocket every time breaking from the side. As it is, many of the players (Sigel most notably) were making the second ball in the side pocket more often than any other ball.

Personally, I like the rule for both 8-ball and 9-ball. They do this (break from the box) in several 9-ball tournaments.

Fred

thecardman
01-12-2006, 03:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Icon of Sin:</font><hr>I just think that is a crazy rule, I have never seen a rule like that in any other tournament...<hr /></blockquote>

Never heard of the US Open?

In my opinion, the break box is a good idea as making the 8-Ball on the break is more common when breaking from the side than from the box. I also feel that it should be used in more 9-Ball events.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cornerman:</font><hr>I don't think they want the second ball break as an option, as the 8-ball will ride more often with that break. Of course, if that was the case, they'd just make an IPT rule that only the head ball could be hit on the break.<hr /></blockquote>

Actually, Fred, they do! The rules state that the 1-ball must be the front ball of the entire rack and that it must be the first object ball struck on the break with the cueball.

Best wishes

thecardman
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jjinfla
01-12-2006, 04:18 PM
That is their intention - to take the slop out of the game and make it harder for them. Must hit front ball, break from the D-box, tight pockets. It is a game for pros. Only the best can handle it. Only 13 8-balls were made on the break. And the funny part is that the pros still made it look easy. They really are good.

Jake

Icon of Sin
01-12-2006, 04:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote thecardman:</font><hr>
Never heard of the US Open?
<hr /></blockquote>
I havnt seen any of the 05 open, but I am getting the DVDs next month.

However in the 04 open and the 03 open I remember seeing them break from the side rail. They racked with the 9 ball on the diamond those times, butr didnt make the players break from a different spot.

Bumps
01-12-2006, 05:32 PM
The 8 ball can be made far more often when breaking from the side. I learned this YEARS ago when I still played barroom 8 ball once in a while. It gets the 8 ball moving, provinding you hit the rack right, of course /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif