PDA

View Full Version : My daughter and swimming, and Big announcement

eg8r
01-12-2006, 11:54 AM
Hello,

My big announcement is that even though my wife and I love our daughter with all our hearts, she is going to have to start sharing that love. We found out last Friday that my wife is pregnant. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif We are very very excited. Our hope is that it will be a little boy but there would be nothing wrong with having another beautiful daughter.

My daughter is now 17 months old (going quickly) and she is developing quite a little vocabulary. She is repeating nearly everything we say. She seems to be a big reader. She can't read on her own but she loves to sit in our laps and look at the pictures as we read to her. Sometimes the story gets a bit weird because she gets bored and changes the page too early. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

She is still in swimming lessons. Last week was the first time that we have dropped her in the pool, she flipped on her back took a couple breaths, flipped on her face and kicked her feet a bunch then flipped back onto her back (up till now she did not want to flip back over on her stomach to swim, she would just float). Ahhhh, the beginning of swimming. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif It is awesome to see her get more and more comfortable with trying new things.

All in all, things are going very well and she is keeping my wife and I very busy.

eg8r

9 Ball Girl
01-12-2006, 12:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> Hello,

My big announcement is that even though my wife and I love our daughter with all our hearts, she is going to have to start sharing that love. We found out last Friday that my wife is pregnant. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>Oh my gosh! How'd that happen???

Congratulations again and I hope it's a little boy so that you can have your pair! Pictures please when the baby gets here!

Drop1
01-12-2006, 12:08 PM
That is great news for your you and your wife. Love,and enjoy them.

SnakebyteXX
01-12-2006, 12:19 PM
Congratulations!

supergreenman
01-12-2006, 12:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Oh my gosh! How'd that happen???
<hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Tab A slot B um or kissing in a swimsuit

Congrats Ed.

wolfdancer
01-12-2006, 12:41 PM
eg8r, there's times to lay political differences aside....
Congratulations!!!!!!! and sugar and spice, is just as nice
as frogs and snails and puppy dog's tails.
hope you just have a fine, healthy baby, to bring more joy into your lives!!!!!!

Frog and snails and puppy dog's tails,
That's what little boys are made of.
What are little girls made of, made of?
What are little girls made of?
Sugar and spice and all things nice,

Qtec
01-12-2006, 12:44 PM
Ed, you HAVE been busy! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Congrats on the new adition to the eg8r clan. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Q

nAz
01-12-2006, 02:14 PM
Ah Ed Mr.Fertile /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif dude Congrats, I hope everything goes smoothly for and your wife.

err keep your kids away from those Baby Einstien DVDs i hear they are bad for infants.

Gayle in MD
01-12-2006, 02:35 PM
Ed, from the bottom of my heart, a big congratulations! You ol' stud muffin, you.....

Just wait till you have a grand child, they are truly the unexpected bonus of life....

Oh, and play plenty of classical music...especailly Bach and Mo...

Good Luck...
Gayle

pooltchr
01-12-2006, 02:40 PM
Congratulations, Ed! The more you have, the more fun it gets!
Best wishes to you and your family at this happy time.
Stev

Chopstick
01-12-2006, 05:30 PM
Well congratulations, Ed. Just remember that insanity is hereditary. You get it from your kids. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sid_Vicious
01-12-2006, 07:31 PM
Water is natural for infants, even mere months old. I've seem'em caught on camera underwater after dropped into a pool and their natural instincts gives them what they need to hold breath and dig. The thing that keeps them from getting their skills is over protective parents/grandparents who instill the idea that they SHOULD be scared. I was a "water baby" and swim like a fish when I want. I've never had a fear, your girl won't either...sid

wolfdancer
01-12-2006, 08:00 PM
Ed8r, don't rely 100% on the sonnagram, as this psychic site points out: web page (http://www.circle-of-light.com/Psychic_Readings/testimonials-past.html)
Using my own innate psychic powers.....I see a future Democrat, and a liberal one at that.....no "sins of the father"....lol

dg-in-centralpa
01-12-2006, 08:07 PM
Congratulations! Mrs. DG and I wish you both the best. Keep us posted. When is she due?

DG

CarolNYC
01-13-2006, 03:35 AM
Thats awesome,Eg8r!
And congratulations-the second birth is supposedly easier /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
When my kids were 1&amp;3, we joined the Y and took "mommy&amp;me" swim classes-thats where "I" learned how to swim /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif,LMAO!
Carol

eg8r
01-13-2006, 03:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And congratulations-the second birth is supposedly easier
When my kids were 1&amp;3, we joined the Y and took "mommy&amp;me" swim classes-thats where "I" learned how to swim ,LMAO! <hr /></blockquote> LOL, well, you are never too old to learn. Here in Florida I think it is imperative to get kids to learn to swim as soon as possible. There are way to many pools to fall into.

Thanks,

eg8r

eg8r
01-13-2006, 03:56 AM
LOL, Thanks.

eg8r

eg8r
01-13-2006, 03:57 AM
Thanks.

eg8r

eg8r
01-13-2006, 03:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
eg8r, there's times to lay political differences aside....
Congratulations!!!!!!! and sugar and spice, is just as nice
as frogs and snails and puppy dog's tails.
hope you just have a fine, healthy baby, to bring more joy into your lives!!!!!! <hr /></blockquote> Thank you. It is always time to put political differences aside. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

eg8r
01-13-2006, 04:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ed, you HAVE been busy! Congrats on the new adition to the eg8r clan. <hr /></blockquote> /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif Well, you know, busy busy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thanks.

eg8r

eg8r
01-13-2006, 04:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ah Ed Mr.Fertile dude Congrats, I hope everything goes smoothly for and your wife.

err keep your kids away from those Baby Einstien DVDs i hear they are bad for infants. <hr /></blockquote> Mr. Fertile. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif You piqued my interest about the Baby Einstein DVDs. What have you heard?

Thanks.

eg8r

eg8r
01-13-2006, 04:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ed, from the bottom of my heart, a big congratulations! You ol' stud muffin, you.....

Just wait till you have a grand child, they are truly the unexpected bonus of life....

Oh, and play plenty of classical music...especailly Bach and Mo...

Good Luck...
Gayle <hr /></blockquote> Thanks for the reply. Stud muffin. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif Classical music is definitely on the agenda. I have a lot of classical music and I played it for my daughter when she was in the womb and even still today. One difference, is that I have played a lot of jazz/big band music for her lately and she seems to really enjoy it.

Funny little story, I have this CD/DVD dual disc, Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007VF1RE/qid=1137151626/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl15/102-2035991-2044902?n=507846&amp;s=music&amp;v=glance) , and I will play through the whole CD. While I was on vacation over the Christmas and New Year holidays I had my daughter with me all day. She has probably heard the CD (actually DVD audio side) about 10 or 15 times. If she was playing or looking at her books she would pay no attention to the music, at least that is how it appeared. Well, when song 3 would come on, Comes Love, she would stand up, walk into the living room and dance right in front of the DVD player. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif It was hilarious. My wife did not believe me so I played a couple of songs so that she could see my daughter acting like she was paying no attention, and then "Comes Love" would come on, and sure enough, my daughter quit what she was doing and started dancing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

eg8r
01-13-2006, 04:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Congratulations, Ed! The more you have, the more fun it gets!
Best wishes to you and your family at this happy time.
<hr /></blockquote> I hope this is true, but if this one is a boy, we are done having kids. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif We wanted one of each and that is all. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks.

eg8r

eg8r
01-13-2006, 04:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well congratulations, Ed. Just remember that insanity is hereditary. You get it from your kids. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif<hr /></blockquote> LOL, I will keep that in mind. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks.

eg8r

eg8r
01-13-2006, 04:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Water is natural for infants, even mere months old. I've seem'em caught on camera underwater after dropped into a pool and their natural instincts gives them what they need to hold breath and dig. The thing that keeps them from getting their skills is over protective parents/grandparents who instill the idea that they SHOULD be scared. I was a "water baby" and swim like a fish when I want. I've never had a fear, your girl won't either...sid <hr /></blockquote> Very true.

Thanks.

eg8r

eg8r
01-13-2006, 04:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ed8r, don't rely 100% on the sonnagram, as this psychic site points out: web page
Using my own innate psychic powers.....I see a future Democrat, and a liberal one at that.....no "sins of the father"....lol <hr /></blockquote> Well, my children can be whatever they want. When they get older and want to ask questions I will have no problem showing them the truth. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

eg8r
01-13-2006, 04:19 AM
Thanks. We will find out when she is due on Monday. We are guessing in Sept or Oct.

eg8r

dg-in-centralpa
01-13-2006, 05:18 AM
You know, September is the annual CCB tournament. Why don't you both come and we can all experience the birth with you.LOL We would have one helluva party if that happened.

DG

eg8r
01-13-2006, 10:50 AM
LOL, that would be pretty cool, but those that know my wife know that she will never be near the CCB tourney. Especially if we had to use vacation time to get there. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

nAz
01-13-2006, 12:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
Ah Ed Mr.Fertile dude Congrats, I hope everything goes smoothly for and your wife.

err keep your kids away from those Baby Einstein DVDs i hear they are bad for infants. <hr /></blockquote> Mr. Fertile. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif You piqued my interest about the Baby Einstein DVDs. What have you heard?

Thanks.

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

I read the following article a few days ago and it seems to make sense. However like anything else as long the kids of any age are not overly exposed to it and TV in general they should be just fine.

here is a clip of the Time magazine article...

Want a Brainier Baby?

Page 2 of 4 Full Story (http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1147180,00.html)

In fact, there is evidence to the contrary. According to Dimitri Christakis, codirector of the Child Health Institute at the University of Washington, "The more TV babies watch, the more likely they are to have attentional problems later in life." Christakis cites a long-term study that tracked children from age 1 through age 7. It found that for each additional hour of daily TV viewing before age 3, a child's chances of later developing problems paying attention increased 10%.

Christakis explains that the human mind%u2014especially the mind of a baby%u2014is driven by what Ivan Pavlov (of the famous dog) called the orienting reflex. When a baby is confronted with a novel sight or sound, he or she can't help focusing on it. By rapidly changing colors, sounds and motions, videos for children effectively force a baby's brain to stay at attention. If his or her gaze wanders, the action quickly rivets it back to the screen.

"Parents say, 'My child can't stop looking at it! She loves it!'" Christakis says. "Well, true, she can't stop looking at it, but that doesn't mean she loves it." Not only might Baby not be enjoying the program, Christakis says, "but based on the research I've done, there's reason to believe these products have deleterious effects on the developing mind." Christakis is not alone in this thinking. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends no TV viewing of any kind before age 2.

CDs and DVDs designed to teach a baby Spanish or Chinese are also problematic. Patricia Kuhl, who studies language acquisition at the University of Washington, conducted an experiment comparing the effects of Chinese audio recordings for children and a Chinese-speaking human. She had a native Mandarin speaker play with a group of babies while speaking Chinese for 12 sessions of 25 minutes each over a four-week period. Later she tested the babies and was able to demonstrate that they recognized Mandarin sounds. But when she repeated the experiment with three control groups%u2014one set of babies that saw the Chinese speaker play with babies on video, another that listened to an audio recording of the Chinese woman playing and a third that had no exposure to the Chinese speaker%u2014none seem to perceive Mandarin sounds. Apparently, the presence of a living, breathing human was essential.

eg8r
01-16-2006, 09:07 AM
That is really interesting. We have limited the amount of TV she watches but probably not for those reasons alone. We spend more time with her playing outside, reading books, playing with blocks, etc. There really is not much time to watch TV when we get home. My daughter does seem to enjoy Baby Einstein movies and there are some she will watch and others she will not (she actually gets up and walks away). What I think is hilarious is watching her reaction when the DVD starts up and she hears the first note. She starts bouncing and smiling all the way to her little couch. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

DickLeonard
01-17-2006, 01:45 PM
Eg8r, Ed I want to wish you my luck on you. I have 5 daughters, it is so different with girls. Boys it's dungarees,shorts,sneakers,tee shirts, with girls its Macy*s,Macy*s Macy*s. Everyone was a different height short,tall,short,tall and short. There were no handy me downs.

I don't want to discuss college and allowing them to date. I just glad I was a Liberal it allowed them bloom.LOL ####