PDA

View Full Version : Connelly table reputation

blackNine
01-12-2006, 01:31 PM
I would like to purchase an 8' or 9' hardwood table and have been looking at Connelly (among others). I've looked through a dozen+ threads here on tables for opinions on Connelly - some more helpful than others. Most of these threads are dealing with, "What's the best table?" or "How about this vs. that?" While I'm intrigued by those questions, I'm really interested in feedback specific to Connelly:

1) How good is the quality of their product?
2) How good is their service?

If you have ever owned or played on a Connelly, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts -- what did you like, what didn't you like, did you speak with any Connelly employee directly and if so, how would your rate their knowledge/thoroughness/attitude/etc., how is their overall promptness, do you have specific remarks on their woodwork, body, legs, pockets/pocket size, diamonds/sights, rails, cushions?

Please, if you respond, state your bias (e.g., I own a Brunswick table, I sell Olhausens, etc).

Thanks!

FastJoey
01-12-2006, 04:38 PM
i have played on Connelly......i believe it is a very nice table..the people that owned the tables liked them.....i have a 9 ft.Olhausen Augusta which i bought new...i looked at other brands and selected Olhausen..the dealer service was excellent...table buying is like buying a car.different opinions..........that's good you are asking questions like i did.....also i like the Accu Fast cushions on my table which came as standard equiptment..i upgraded my cloth to Simonis 860...i am sure you know this But do not buy a table unless you play on it first...good luck... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gayle in MD
01-12-2006, 11:00 PM
I highly recommend you check out a Diamond Pro, with the pro cut pockets, Simonis, and Artimis Cushions...also, check out the Archives here, all this has been covered fully... regarding various tables, You'll find all the info you would need to take some direction. They will probably be auctioning some of them off after the Derby City Classic which is in process now, in KY.

I don't sell Diamonds, but I do own one.

Gayle in Md.

DialUp
01-13-2006, 02:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote blackNine:</font><hr> did you speak with any Connelly employee directly and if so, how would your rate their knowledge/thoroughness/attitude/etc., <hr /></blockquote>

I have talked to employees at their stores. They know about as much as any salesman for any given product. Just the selling points lol

All I remember is - the salesman was trying to tell me that the particle board they used was better than their competitors hard wood.

Other than the particle board, which was for backing the slate ( I Think ), they make a good table.

I have seen several of them and their wood working is good. Not much else to a table as far as quality goes. I would own one if one fell in my lap. Surely the playing field is just as good as any other.

Scott Lee
01-13-2006, 12:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DialUp:</font><hr> Surely the playing field is just as good as any other. <hr /></blockquote>

Depending on the model, perhaps even better! The Connelly Ultimate has 2" thick slate, which is a lot of fun to play on, and particularly easy to jump and masse' balls on. The Ultimate series is their highend table, with MSRP of $13K for the 9' size. Probably can be had for less, looking hard. I agree with Gayle that Diamond makes a great table too, but Connelly is an excellent choice. As has been mentioned already, the dealer service would make the difference, for most buyers.

Scott Lee

Brad
01-13-2006, 02:04 PM
One common thing you come to realize through ALL these posts is, go with a reputable dealer, selling a reputable product. The differences between manufacturers usually amounts to very little difference in playability. More important is from whom you buy the table.

blackNine
01-13-2006, 04:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DialUp:</font><hr>
All I remember is - the salesman was trying to tell me that the particle board they used was better than their competitors hard wood.

Other than the particle board, which was for backing the slate ( I Think ), they make a good table.
<hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, they use MDF. Who among the major manufacturers, besides American Heirloom, uses hardwood for their slate backing? (It's an option with Olhausen??)

Schrammbo
01-14-2006, 02:13 AM
I am in a similar situation and chose the Connelly after playing on the table set up at the local dealer. I am buying a Cochise model and was comparing it to a higher priced Olehausen Huntington. In the end I don't think I would have been disappointed with either so I went with the table I thought would look better and with a dealer I had more confidence in. I also saved a few $$. Enjoy and good luck.

joewihit
01-14-2006, 05:17 PM
Hello All,
I purchased a Connelly 'Sabino' 8' table about 5 years ago after watching the ESPN Trick Shot Magic Show 2000/2001. If you never heard about the Sabino model is because they only made about 20 of them. I love my Connelly table because it looks great in my house. As for function, the 5 bolt that hold each rail gives it a very nice and even bounce and they use Original Italian Slate (Unlike many that use Brazilian or Chinese slate) The particle board you may be reading about doesn't affect the 'play'what so ever. My only difficulty with the particle board is that it breaks off in very small chunks with every refelting. Unlike most home owners I have to have my table refelted every 4 months or so because of the extreme wear I put on the cloth. The more times you refelt the more staples that are put in and pulled out of the particle board (which is glued onto the back of each piece of slate). I like the leather pockets but they take some time to break in. The inside leather gets kind of rough on your hands(same with all manufactored leather pockets).
I believe it all comes down to looks and pricing as well as trust for the dealer. Just make sure they assemble it by hand and use only hand tools because I have one dead bolt after the assembly team stripped the bolt, which caused them to replace my felt 2 times. Stefano Pelinga plays on my table. He likes it, except that, as with all home tables it has a very narrow rail compared to the pro tables with wide rail. (more room to rest hand on when hitting rail shots)

PS: If at all possible try to purchase a 9' table with Gorina cloth. Also ask the dealer to throw in a set of sticks, replacement clorth or a 'start up kit'.

Sincerely,
Joseph Whalen
Stefano Pelinga's Promotion Manager

blackNine
01-15-2006, 04:39 PM
Thanks for your feedback everyone! I really appreciate it.

KennyTooSlow
05-04-2006, 03:47 AM
I've had a Connelly Ultimate for about 13 years. I paid $2400 for a used one in perfect shape. I found a guy who had 14 of 'em and no one would by one. It's got 2" thick slate and it's built like a tank. Super quality. Plays well. Nice rails. Mine rattles balls shot down the rail like crazy ... I have to finess 'em in.