PDA

View Full Version : Caribbean---suggestions?

Fran Crimi
01-12-2006, 07:09 PM
Planning a trip to the Caribbean here...would love to hear suggestions on where to go or where not to go. I'd appreciate your ideas.

Thanks,
Fran

Sid_Vicious
01-12-2006, 07:34 PM
Depends on what you are going for. Some places are nude city and wild, others cater to couples and some in-between. You can get laid, or just laid back, lots of choices...sid

Barbara
01-12-2006, 07:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> Planning a trip to the Caribbean here...would love to hear suggestions on where to go or where not to go. I'd appreciate your ideas.

Thanks,
Fran <hr /></blockquote>

Fran,

Sorry to report that my folks sold their 6000 sq ft casa at Casa de Campo in La Romana, Domincan Republic, or I'd say, "Let's GO"!!!! It's an enclosed compound with two beautiful golf courses, one of which ranks 36th in the world. They had a house overlooking the 3rd fairway of the Links course. It was a resort built by GE decades ago and is now owned by a Cuban family last time I checked. It's been 10 years since I've been there - got caught up in the famous 1996 blizzard coming back from Miami and stayed 3 days there. Anyways, my folks sold it last year. It was a beautiful ocean view villa in the old "Las Barrancas".

Now there is an "all-inclusive" club there and in Punta Cana(goddamn American tourists found the place). There is Altos de Chavon at Casa de Campo - a built 16th century village upon the hills of the Chavon River that is an Artist's community and cultural center. There's a lot of good stuff in the Dom Rep - in Santo Domingo (the capital) there is a church that claims to hold the remains of Christopher Columbus.

If you want more info we'll talk, I have to go to bed for a 4 am lab shot now.

Barbara

dg-in-centralpa
01-12-2006, 08:14 PM
If you go to Jamaica, Mrs. DG and I stayed at Sandals at Runaway Bay. It's an all inclusive resort. Not quite as rowdy as Hedonism but the food was good as well as the service. Check out Dunn's River Falls. It's a series water falls cascading down 900 feet from top to bottom. You climb up from the bottom. It's a lot of fun. Mrs. DG also went swimming with the dolphins near Ochoa Rios. This was a little pricey, and she went horseback riding on the beach and into the ocean. They also have trips into Kingston for shopping. We didn't do that. You'll have a great time.

DG - going back this year on a cruise

nAz
01-13-2006, 01:33 AM
Hi Fran, Margarita island is a great place to visit. It's off the coast of Venezuela and is considered a Caribbean island. I was last there ten years ago and had a swell time. My brother was there 2 years ago and told me that it is still not crowded with tourist and the $ still goes a long way and they have all the usual amenities.
have great time where ever you go... oh and take me with you /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

http://www.venezuelatuya.com/margarita/eng.htm

http://www.venezuelatuya.com/margarita/imagenes/mapamarg.gif

wolfdancer
01-13-2006, 01:43 AM
suggestion: Take me...I speak caribbean

Fran Crimi
01-13-2006, 09:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> suggestion: Take me...I speak caribbean <hr /></blockquote>

...as in..."Make that two Bahama Mammas, please."

I speak that too. LOL

Fran

Fran Crimi
01-13-2006, 09:56 AM
Thanks, Barbara. I've never been there. I'll definitely look into it. We've got beaches and water sports on our minds....

Fran

Fran Crimi
01-13-2006, 10:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> If you go to Jamaica, Mrs. DG and I stayed at Sandals at Runaway Bay. It's an all inclusive resort. Not quite as rowdy as Hedonism but the food was good as well as the service. Check out Dunn's River Falls. It's a series water falls cascading down 900 feet from top to bottom. You climb up from the bottom. It's a lot of fun. Mrs. DG also went swimming with the dolphins near Ochoa Rios. This was a little pricey, and she went horseback riding on the beach and into the ocean. They also have trips into Kingston for shopping. We didn't do that. You'll have a great time.

DG - going back this year on a cruise <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks, DG. I've been to Montego Bay and Negril Beach. Had a great time. I remember riding in a donkey race on the beach and I won a bottle of rum for coming in second. It came in 2nd all by itself while I hung on for life. Totally fun.

I was thinking about a dolphin swim for this trip but it's gotten so commercialized these days.

I bet Sandals was really nice. Their brochures are beautiful. Thanks...we'll look into it.

Fran

Fran Crimi
01-13-2006, 10:13 AM
Thanks nAz!

I like the idea of a place that's not overrun with tourists. Hard to find these days...I'll check it out.

Fran

Gayle in MD
01-14-2006, 06:53 AM
Fran, if you don't want too many tourists, look into St Kits, and Nevil, beautiful.

Gayle in Md.

Sid_Vicious
01-14-2006, 07:00 AM
A supervisor of mine back in '85 bragged on Puerto Plata for the package price, plus he was a big golfer and they had some nice layout as he described it. It's more of a couples place..sid

jayalley
01-14-2006, 04:31 PM
Fran-
I have been to many of the islands (8) and think that Barbados is the best. It is quiet and the people are serious and without attitude. It is an island for "grownups" and not a "Club Med" type. place. Since it very far south in location, the weather is ALWAYS good. The only drawback is that it is expensive and doesn't have the discount tour scene, which as I said above has its good aspects. There is a range of different level resorts and there might be something that suits your budget.

Fran Crimi
01-15-2006, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely check it out.

Fran

Fran Crimi
01-15-2006, 02:46 PM
Thanks Gayle! Thanks to yours and everyone's posts I have some great spots to check out....

Fran

Barbara
01-15-2006, 03:19 PM
Fran,

We stayed at the Heywoods on our honeymoon in Barbados. It was a great place except for the fact that a Canadien hockey team was also staying there at the time after having won some kind of semi-pro championships. They almost got booted out due to the many complaints. Some of the resorts (like Sandy Run) are very formal and you have to wear formal attire to dinner. It's a beautiful island and you can rent a car and do it in about 5 hours of sightseeing.

St Lucia is another island worth a thought. We did the "all-inclusive" and it was between two resorts about 20 minutes from each other so we could stay at one and visit the other. Another beautiful island with many interesting things to do.

Good luck!!

Barbara