PDA

View Full Version : IL. St. 3 cushion champion report

06-29-2002, 04:26 PM
The IL. State 3 Cushion Champion Tournament is going on today & tomorrow (June 29 & 30) at Chris's Billiards, 4637 N. Milwaukee Ave., Chicago, IL. Tonight, Sat. night, there will be an exibition by Roberto Rojas at about 8:00 pm.

I watched an excellent match in which he narrowly defeated Mike VanVieck(sp ?) to remain in the undefeated bracket. They are playing 15 point games. 2 out of 3 games are needed to win the match. I think Roberto Rojas won the first game about 15-9 or 15-10. Mike VanVieck won the second game about 15-13 or close to that. And Roberto won the final pressure filled game 15-12 or 15-13. They both made some excellent shots. It was definitely worth the 1 hour 15 minute drive through traffic to get to Chris's about 12 miles from home.

The tournament director took time to explain a lot of stuff and answer questions from me and about the 50 spectators. But that guess includes players watching in between games. He and a couple other are from another message board. I can't remember which. Everyone was exceptionally friendly. Especially a man named Jim (I think who saw an ad and drove over a hundred miles to come watch. There should be some good games to watch tomorrow (Sun). 773-286-4714 is the number for Chris's. I found out it is owned by Eric now.

I also met Ray Schuler who set up a display of his cues about 2:00 pm. He too was very friendly. There was also a woman with him and 1 or 2 other men that may have been his partners or something. I only left because my stomach was starting to unsettle. Maybe I can get an hour's nap and make it back for the exhibition. I was told the exhibition includes all the fancy massee shots etc. There won't be an exhibition tomorrow.

PQQLK9
06-29-2002, 05:17 PM
Thanks Eddie...you always provide good information...

07-03-2002, 10:25 AM
Tournament was won by Paul Navarette, a Chicagoan better known as one of the best pool players in town. Mr. Rojas finished second, and local Bill Smith was third.

I actually went to college with Mike Van Vleck. Besides playing well here, he also has a tournament win (by 13 points!) over Richard Bitalis of France, who was #2 in the world behind Ceulemans at the time. GF