PDA

View Full Version : Don't be nervous!

Billy_Bob
01-13-2006, 11:59 AM
Last night I was playing an important match in a tournament which would determine 1st place for my league team (8-ball). (We were tied with another team.)

So I'm shooting along as normal, relaxed as normal, then about to shoot my last ball (key ball) before shooting in the 8. And I had just run in about 4 balls prior to this shot...

So my team captain comes up to me before I shoot this "next to last shot" and says, "Don't be nervous! Just be relaxed! Play like it is just another game!"

Well that is what I was doing. Then I *was* nervous after he said that. Wish he had not said it.

Anyway I shot in my last ball and made the 8, then went on the win more games to win the match. But I was a nervous wreck the whole time. And missed a shot later because of my nervousness.

So I think it is best in these situations to not draw attention to how much is riding on a match. Just let your team members play their game...

ladrone
01-16-2006, 08:00 AM
I agree. This is only the second time I played in league, with the first time being eight years ago. The first couple of nights I had trouble shooting some shots because my bridge hand was shaking! My own team members would bet, loud enough that I could hear, on whether or not I would make an easy shot on the last ball. I now(as of last week)have more confidence and approach the table as if I own it.

Cane
01-16-2006, 08:37 AM
Yeah, that's a tough thing to do to many players... but it depends on the player. I have a friend who, if you tell him "WE NEED THIS ONE BIG!" will go into a Kill Mode and destroy his opponent. The pressure makes him play lights out. Not the case with most, though.

Later,
Bob

BigMal
01-16-2006, 09:45 AM
Speaking as a long-serving team captain (albeit in UK 8-ball), I think the captain needs to play his role fully by learning just what it is that triggers the various individuals in his team.

As Cane said, some players can respond to the pressure best when it is blatantly pointed out to them and yet others are best left well alone and will go on 'tilt' when you attempt to offer advice to them.

It might be best to have a quiet word with your captain and mention what happened and, if he is a good captain, he should take note of it and adjust his style accordingly. Having said that, you did win so he might just say "If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it"!!

walt8880
01-17-2006, 07:41 PM
Remember that if you are playing in a game or set that you have to win for your team to win it's because somebody else lost before you.

Relax, concentrate on one shot at a time and ignore what people say.

Everyone wants to do their best and win but, tomorrow morning, the results of our matches will have no impact on the world situation or our own lives. Excluding professionals of course.