PDA

View Full Version : I don't notice audience/rail birds any more...

Billy_Bob
01-13-2006, 12:12 PM
I played a money tournament night before last and got 3rd place, then last night played a big league match.

In the money tournament, towards the end of the tournament, there were lots of people watching me play. And same with the match last night.

After playing last night, I realized that I did not notice the people who were watching me play in either tournament (while I was playing). I was concentrating so much on my playing, it was as if I was playing at home with no one watching.

So I guess this is a good thing - that I can play now and not be bothered by people watching.

At one time I would think about it and it would throw me off sometimes. I'd say to myself "geeze, everybody is watching, better not embarass myself!, etc."

I think the way I have overcome this is by playing in lots of money and other tournaments. So much that I don't even notice it anymore.

Bumps
01-13-2006, 02:15 PM
Out of curiosity, what is a "money tournament" match??? The only tournament I ever played in that did NOT involve money was a charity affair. And I don't play in leagues, you don't play league matches for money?

dg-in-centralpa
01-13-2006, 02:48 PM
Probably a tournament with trophies instead of money.

DG

wolfdancer
01-13-2006, 03:03 PM
I'd probably have to pay railbirds to watch me play.
there are a bunch of $$ tournaments up here... I live just 30 mi from Portland....actually it's a great area for bar pool players....most of the bars that cater to pool, have several tables.I'm sure he's either playing in some, or maybe matching up......and if folks are staying to watch, must have a pretty decent game.

UWPoolGod
01-13-2006, 03:28 PM
Thats good to overcome. At first I would get nervous with better players watching me play. As my game progressed they started watching more and staying around. I am a little different I guess though. I know they are watching and I feed off of that. The more people the more concentrated I am, cause I don't want to look around the room and see one person with a "I can't believe he missed that shot" look on their face. I want to see the "heckuva runout" face.

Chopstick
01-13-2006, 05:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> I'd probably have to pay railbirds to watch me play.
<hr /></blockquote>

LMAF. Ya got me Wolf. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Billy_Bob That is the first phase. It's like a dome drops over you. There is only you and the table.

The next phase you aren't there anymore. There is just the game unfolding.

The last phase. You don't even remember it. "I won. Won what? I just broke the balls just now."

walt8880
01-13-2006, 06:34 PM
I try to concentrate on the table , the ball positions, my stroke and nothing else.

I also try to relax when my opponent is shooting but keep my focus on the game and not the onlookers.

I was playing in a league tournament the other night and there was the lastest video of a Mariah Carey concert on the screen directly over the table. Even for an old man like me, was hard to keep my mind on the job at hand.

Billy_Bob
01-14-2006, 10:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr>
The last phase. You don't even remember it. "I won. Won what? I just broke the balls just now." <hr /></blockquote>

The best players in my area are like this. I will ask them on Tuesday about a Sunday tournament and they will say they don't remember. Although they probably won 1st.

Billy_Bob
01-14-2006, 10:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bumps:</font><hr> Out of curiosity, what is a "money tournament" match??? <hr /></blockquote>

"Money tournaments" are where you pay $3, $5, $10, or more to enter the tournament. Then the winners of the tournament get cash prizes. These are usually open to anyone. Sometimes "A" players are banned. Ask around your area. There are probably some tournaments, but you need to ask other players to find them. And keep asking, because no one player knows about every tournament.

A "game" is one game of pool.

A "match" is one or more games between two people. It may be a race to two, three, or more. So the first player to win the designated number of games wins the match.

In a handicaped match, one player may need to win 3 games and the better player may need to win 4 games (to win the match).

Bumps
01-14-2006, 11:16 AM
I know most of the terms, I've been playing about 30 years now, but I've only heard the term "money tournament" since I moved from NY to SC. I think I've heard BCA leagues referred to as "money leagues", it's not a term I'm familiar with. As I stated in my previous post, the only tournament I've played in that didn't pay money was a charity affair for a guy out of work for about a year. Prizes were gift certificates, etc.

Billy_Bob
01-14-2006, 11:26 AM
The locals in my area refer to a "money tournament" as a "pool tournament". For the internet, I use the term "money tournament" to distinguish it from a "league tournament". But when I talk to the locals around here, I will say pool tournament or league, league night, etc.

Bumps
01-14-2006, 12:35 PM
I understand, it's just not a term I'm familiar with. Thanks for your explanation.

Snapshot9
01-14-2006, 02:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr> I played a money tournament night before last and got 3rd place, then last night played a big league match.

In the money tournament, towards the end of the tournament, there were lots of people watching me play. And same with the match last night.

After playing last night, I realized that I did not notice the people who were watching me play in either tournament (while I was playing). I was concentrating so much on my playing, it was as if I was playing at home with no one watching.

So I guess this is a good thing - that I can play now and not be bothered by people watching.

At one time I would think about it and it would throw me off sometimes. I'd say to myself "geeze, everybody is watching, better not embarass myself!, etc."

I think the way I have overcome this is by playing in lots of money and other tournaments. So much that I don't even notice it anymore.
<hr /></blockquote>

It is called 'seasoning', plus it helps you to get in a
zone easier. I usually analyze my opponents game or run out
when I am in the chair vs their abilities, and make educated
guesses where they can or will mess up (for shape on a
particular shot or to miss a shot, etc.). Doing this also
helps balance what your perception of a player's game vs.
the reality of the player's game. It is part of knowing
your opponent, plus it is real handy when spots are discussed
for a later money game with him.