PDA

View Full Version : Faith-Based Initiative

Drop1
01-13-2006, 06:51 PM
Simply put: Religious groups receive Government money for funding social services. In 2003 1.17 billion tax dollars went to religious groups to provide social services to those thouht to be in need. The seeds of the idea were planted by Clinton,and expanded upon by President Bush. Good idea,bad idea,whats your opinion?

pooltchr
01-13-2006, 07:06 PM
I would prefer that the government let the people keep their money, and allow individuals to donate it to the specific causes they believe are worthy.
Steve

Gayle in MD
01-14-2006, 06:17 AM
My opinion is that organized religion is a business. If the government is going to give them money to disperse, they should be held to strict standards regarding how and where it is spent. Evangelists live like kings and queens. Then when they get caught with their mistresses, all they have to do is get on National TV, and cry, and beg the Lord to forgive them. PAHLEZE!

Just look how the Catholic church covered up all the pedafilia, moved all those sick SOB's around the world to give them a whole new area of little boys to abuse. Absolutely disgusting. But, women, are not good enough to be priests! And the word VIRGIN, is used solely in the feminine, men aren't soiled if they are not virgins, just like it was Eve who talked Adam into taking that forbidden bite of the apple. Organized religion is the bases for discrimination against women, it all started in the bible. amd exists in every kind of organized religion there is.

Here's a good example of organized religion. People starve to death in Pakistan, while the cows are over-running the streets. The Middle East is wrought with wars based in religious disagreement. Even the fighting over real estate, usually begins over the question of which real estate is holy land and which isn't. Just look how they stampeded over top of one another rushing to throw stones at some wall, some supposed source of evil. That happens every year! People are killed in that same stampede.

IMO organized religiou, and it's quest for power, IOW, the need to dictate, are two of the most devastating assaults on mankind. Hell no, I don't want my tax dollars going through organized religion. Ever since Karl Rove got the bright idea of USING organized religion to get Bush into office, our country has become more divided than ever before, IMO. Bush's whole campaign centered around the promise to organized religion to take control of the courts, especailly the Supreme Court, so that they can force their religious beliefs on the rest of us by getting their personal opinions made into laws. All this BS about Liberal judges is just that, total BS. If you look at the record of the Supreme Court, of the 64 times that congressional law has come before the Supreme Court, it has been the conservative judges which have overturned the majority of the time. Alito sits there proclaiming he will have an open mind, AH HA HA HA, we all know why Bush put him in there, to take away women's rights, to overturn, or atleast chip away at Roe V. Wade, which is just another attempt of organized religion to put into law, their religious based opinion and he DOES NOT have an open mind, even his own mother said he is against a womans right to chose.

The right wants their cake and eat it to. They don't want abortion, AND they don't want any welfare to feed hungry children after women are forced to bring children they can't feed into this world.

I don't approve of any co-mingling of government money with religious organizations. I agree with the opinion of James Madison, the separation of church and state should be complete separation, and any co-mingling of the two threatens both.

I don't think the money has any better chance of reaching the needy by being routed through religious big business, than it would if the Government put it into welfare programs.

Gayle in Md.

wolfdancer
01-14-2006, 04:48 PM
Are people really that charitable?????
And charities themselves rip off a huge amount from the
donations. I knew someone that organised Heart fund events
very well paid, even at that level. In California those donation cans and jars that you see,for different charities....the owners are required by law to donate only a 10% mininum. I wonder just how much of our donated dollar, ever gets used for the stated intent?
And wasn't there an outrage recently over the United Fund's salaries???

pooltchr
01-14-2006, 05:49 PM
Wolf,
Re-read my post. I said individuals should be able to support those charities <font color="red"> They believe are worthy. </font color> Personally, I wouldn't give a dime to the United Way. I do make regular contributions to the local food bank, and to the local homeless shelters. I am familiar with them, see how they are run, and feel confident that my contributions are going to the people who need it.

And yes, I believe most people are willing to give to the less fortunate. I just don't like the money passing through the governments sticky hands first. We don't need the big government middle man to take a cut.
Steve

eg8r
01-16-2006, 08:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
...men aren't soiled if they are not virgins, just like it was Eve who talked Adam into taking that forbidden bite of the apple. Organized religion is the bases for discrimination against women, it all started in the bible. ... <hr /></blockquote> LOL, it is not the Bible's fault for telling a story, it was Eve's fault for doing the bad deed. The Bible did not make that happen, it just told you the story.

By the way, in your mind, are women EVER at fault?

eg8r

SnakebyteXX
01-16-2006, 11:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> LOL, it is not the Bible's fault for telling a story, it was Eve's fault for doing the bad deed. The Bible did not make that happen, it just told you the story.

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

Consider for a moment the fantastic prospect that the story of Adam and Eve is one of many Biblical myths written by human beings - male human beings. If that were indeed the case then the fact is the men who wrote the stories 'made' the things that happened in those stories happen according to their own wishes, values and the chauvinistic standards of their times.

Snake &lt;-- Hopes the above comments don't trample on anyone's cherished beliefs or cause them to suffer unduly or cause them to send PM's that may not get answered satisfactorily - or lead them to think they need to pressure others here to censor their thoughts and actions to conform to those beliefs on the basis of some supercilious notion that they and they alone 'know what's best for this forum' combined with an erroneous assumption that people who shoot pool and people who can formulate complex thoughts regarding complex events and express themselves in writing are two mutually exclusive groups.

eg8r
01-16-2006, 02:18 PM
I don't see any point in spending much time considering what you have posed...reason being, it is not any news that men have written the Bible (inspired by God). However, one could waste a lot of time trying to understand "chauvinistic standards" from a time that which is not there own. There were many great women in the Bible and the Bible also commands men to love their wives as Christ loved the Church. That is hardly a book that demeans women which is what some here would persuade you to think.

Oh yeah, your lawyerly statement at the end was pretty funny. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Fran Crimi
01-16-2006, 02:41 PM
What difference does it make what groups get the grants, as long as there's accountability for how the grant was used?

Here in NYC, there are many Senior Centers funded by government grants to both religious and non-religious groups. Some are Church-based and some are Synagogue-based centers and some are non-secular. All are effective in providing important services to seniors.

Isn't that what's important?

Fran

Gayle in MD
01-18-2006, 08:02 PM
Hey Snake, first paragraph, Tap Tap Tap!!!
Second paragraph, BWA HA HA HA HA HA... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Couldn't have said it that well, thanks!

Gayle in Md.