PDA

View Full Version : using bar mats to level tables?

sack316
01-14-2006, 02:50 AM
yeah, ok I know it sounds strange. But the PH I work at started doing this today. You know the little bar mats on the counter? (the rubbery/plastic mats with little spiked things throughout bars use to keep spills from going directly onto the bar). Well apparently our Mobile location started using cut up pieces of it to level tables, so I guess we decided to try it too. To this point we have always used shims (?) that slide underneath. I was just wondering if anybody knows if this new way has any benefit/ detriment to it. I suppose most anything you can wrangle under a leg could work, but this just seemed strange to me (unless the point was to not buy anything new to do it with).

I have not had a chance to try it out yet, but will play on some of those tables tomorrow before work. Hopefully they'll be fine, because one of them was "MY" table that I know every little thing about. So I'm sure I'll have to relearn it now!

Now if only I could convince them that most of the un-leveling of our tables is usually due to cheaper slate, and not the floor or carpeting, we'd be better off. but I digress... any thoughts or opinions on the bar mat thing are appreciated though!

Sack

SPetty
01-17-2006, 01:02 PM
I've heard of using coasters...

Perk
01-17-2006, 01:27 PM
Hadnt heard anything about rubber mats. Couple things come to mind:

1. Prob wouldnt slide at all, unlike hard slick shims.
2. Not sure how comfortable I would be with the long term results. Wouldnt it be similiar to putting on carpet with a thicker pad? Have to re-level periodically after it settles? Seems like kinda a thick option, but it wouldnt damage your floor.

Just couple thoughts..