PDA

View Full Version : Need Tips for Shooting Softly

walt8880
01-15-2006, 04:25 AM
Can anyone give any tips or guidance on technique for shooting softly to make close in(<2feet) safety shots?

I am practicing these shots, but in trying to regain some form for playing safeties in 14.1 and league eight ball, I seem to shoot just a little too hard and leave an easy shot rather than the safety I played in my mind.

I have tried shortening my bridge for these shots and that has helped, but are there any stoke hints that any of you long time good players have?

Thanks

randyg
01-15-2006, 05:24 AM
I shorten my bridge down to 3" and then adjust my grip hand to the front of my wrap.....SPF-randyg

tateuts
01-15-2006, 06:49 AM
Here's another one, taught to me by Scott Lee. For just slowly riolling the cueball, no matter how long the bridge, on the backstroke take the cue back only about one inch, then forward. You will find that you can tap the cueball very softly without "decelerating".

With practice, you will feel the weight of the cueball and that will go a long way toward developing the touch you ned for soft roll safeties.

Chris

Bumps
01-15-2006, 10:34 AM
Helps for me to use an open bridge on very short, soft safety shots.

Billy_Bob
01-15-2006, 11:40 AM
When I first started playing, I used a 21 oz cue. But I found it difficult to shoot slow "delicate" shots. I switched to a 19.5 oz cue and this helped quite a bit with the slow shots.

Also throw all 15 balls onto the table. Practice shooting in the balls, BUT make each object ball roll up to the pocket but NOT drop into the pocket.

Another practice (speed control) is to shoot just the cue ball 1/2 diamond, then 1 diamond, then 2 diamonds, then 3, 4, full table, full table and one diamond, etc. all the way up to 3 table lengths. The 1/2 diamond is very difficult. Hint: Try lightly shooting high on the cue ball (follow).

Bob_Jewett
01-18-2006, 03:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote walt8880:</font><hr> Can anyone give any tips or guidance on technique for shooting softly to make close in(&lt;2feet) safety shots?
... <hr /></blockquote>
If you can find a carom table, try playing straight rail billiards.

walt8880
01-18-2006, 05:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote walt8880:</font><hr> Can anyone give any tips or guidance on technique for shooting softly to make close in(&lt;2feet) safety shots?
... <hr /></blockquote>
If you can find a carom table, try playing straight rail billiards. <hr /></blockquote>

Bob -

Thanks. I wish I could find one. Many years ago I had an old 10 foot Brunswick Collender(sp?) table in my house and had pool rails and carom rails. Every six months or so, I would put the carom rails on and shoot with them for several weeks until I got tired of playing by myself.

It's been a long time and I've forgotten a lot.

dave
01-19-2006, 11:04 AM
A long time ago Jerry Briesath gave me a drill that you might find helpful. Throw two balls out randomly on the table. The cue ball and one object ball. The goal is to hit that object ball from wherever the cue ball position lies. You do not need to pocket the object ball, just hit it softly. You must hit the object ball, and after contact, the cue ball must stay within two or three inches of the object ball. This becomes more challenging, the greater the initial distance between the two balls. That's it. But it's harder than you might think. Try it.

Stretch
01-19-2006, 06:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote walt8880:</font><hr> Can anyone give any tips or guidance on technique for shooting softly to make close in(&lt;2feet) safety shots?

I am practicing these shots, but in trying to regain some form for playing safeties in 14.1 and league eight ball, I seem to shoot just a little too hard and leave an easy shot rather than the safety I played in my mind.

I have tried shortening my bridge for these shots and that has helped, but are there any stoke hints that any of you long time good players have?

Thanks

<hr /></blockquote>

Lots of good tips here Walt. I think your on your way. Just wanted to point out that along with the short bridge and the 2 or 3 inch backstroke you'll need a 2 or 3 inch follow through, that's it. I've found that it's the follow through that spoiled most of my touch and slow roll shots. If you draw back 2 in, you should only follow through 2 in. Keep it compact and loose wrist. St.

walt8880
01-19-2006, 06:27 PM
Thanks for all of the tips here. I am starting to put them to use in my practice and will surely try some in my 8 ball league matches tonight.

walt8880
01-30-2006, 09:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dave:</font><hr> A long time ago Jerry Briesath gave me a drill that you might find helpful. Throw two balls out randomly on the table. The cue ball and one object ball. The goal is to hit that object ball from wherever the cue ball position lies. You do not need to pocket the object
ball, just hit it softly. You must hit the object ball, and after contact, the cue ball must stay within two or three inches of the object ball. This becomes more challenging, the greater the initial distance between the two balls. That's it. But it's harder than you might think. Try it. <hr /></blockquote>

I tried this drill for a while in practice yesterday. It is much harder than it sounds but with some diligence and concentration, it gave me better technique on soft shots, using some of the other tips mentioned here.

thanks

dave
01-31-2006, 10:17 AM
You're very welcome. I got a million of em I've compiled over the years.

Sid_Vicious
01-31-2006, 10:26 AM
Just an accent to the shorter bridge...if you aren't but a mere 1-3" in bridge length, then your backswing can't be any more as a result...a good thing for slow rolls. You are already working that now, and also had much the same advice here already from others, but that's a lot more of a consistent and fundamental way to control a slow roll than most any other. jm2c...sid

Fasteddy7
01-31-2006, 10:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> Here's another one, taught to me by Scott Lee. For just slowly riolling the cueball, no matter how long the bridge, on the backstroke take the cue back only about one inch, then forward. You will find that you can tap the cueball very softly without "decelerating".

With practice, you will feel the weight of the cueball and that will go a long way toward developing the touch you ned for soft roll safeties.

Chris <hr /></blockquote>
In addition to this I am sure Scott would say to be sure and comlete the stroke. Alot of times people just shorten the backstroke and kinda poke the ball. You want to strive to follow through the same distance as the backswing. Your not done until you complete the stroke. At first you will still hit the ball harder than you want. Good luck. I would suggest spending time with Scott Lee or another qualified person. Later............Fast