PDA

View Full Version : HDTV Screen Size Question

Sid_Vicious
01-15-2006, 10:00 AM
I'm looking at getting a big tv, 61" at first but have found the same exact model in 56", and respectably priced w/shipping. Will I miss the 4 inches of screen size in a fairly well sized home living room? Price ain't supreme but at the same time, is it foolish to toss hundreds more for the size increase? The 61" does not presently come from the same seller, so shipping is greatly increased on top of the base price. sid

moblsv
01-15-2006, 02:16 PM
How far from the tv will you be when you watch it? Short answer, I doubt you'll miss the four inches. Longer answer, if you are going to be sitting across the room I would be more inclined to suggest the size might matter, if you are sitting within 8' I would be more inclined to suggest that 61" might be too big anyway. I ran across a couple of calculators that made suggestion based on how far you are from the set while researching my own future purchase. The calculations seemed to be different between plasma and LCD for some reason and also one seemed to factor in ambient lighting intensity.

Sorry I don't have them right at hand. One was at comcast.com, I think, and this on came up doing quick a google search.

http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html#anchor_13194