PDA

View Full Version : Speed on the long shot

Drop1
01-15-2006, 07:18 PM
Does hitting a little harder on the long shots make for a truer hit? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

RonMont
01-15-2006, 08:00 PM
Generally the harder the cue ball is hit the less accuracy you have. Small shifts in alignment of the cue are magnified with a harder hit. The shifts I refer to are the ones that put left or right spin on the cue ball. If you can maintain a straight stroke with the increased hit force than a firmer stroke may help on tables with bad rolls. Otherwise perfect your soft stroke. Bert Kinister has one drill I found very helpful. That is to shoot with the cue ball and object ball 1" off the long rail, cue ball in line with the head spot and the object ball in line with the foot spot. Use a stop shot and pay attention to any cue ball drift. If it doesn't stop exactly, make changes to your stroke (elbow in line, head alignment, etc.) until you can pound one in and stop the cue ball dead!

bsmutz
01-15-2006, 08:51 PM
My experience has been that hitting a slow roller on long shots is harder than hitting with a little speed. I find that I have to concentrate harder on long slow shots to hit the right spot. Sometimes you need to hit it soft to get shape for the next shot, though, so it is definitely worth the practice. If you have a snooker table nearby, try playing with the smaller pockets. You'll find that the pockets are much more accepting of softer hit balls than hard ones unless you are deadly accurate.

Billy_Bob
01-15-2006, 09:28 PM
When shooting a fairly straight long shot into a corner pocket and the ball hits the rail slightly before it makes the pocket, a slower shot will pocket the ball, but a faster shot will make the ball "wobble" in the pocket and not drop.

This is because when the ball is brushing against the rail, the rail is inducing spin on the ball. So the ball after hitting the rail then hits the side of the pocket, and the spin on the ball makes it go to the opposite side of the pocket and it wobbles without dropping.

So try shooting several fairly straight fast shots into the corner so it glances off the rail first. Then do the same with medium or slow speed.

Another thing which may be happening is walking up to shoot and banging it in. As opposed to walking up to shoot and aiming, then shooting.

Usually your first alignment when walking up to shoot is correct. But the "aiming" might change this. Try walking up to shoot and then quickly shooting with slow or medium speed instead of fast.