PDA

View Full Version : straight pool at derby city

dmgwalsh
01-16-2006, 06:52 AM
Who won the straight pool challenge at Derby City? Was any of it filmed?
I hear John Schmidt ran 100 for Accustats. Any other 14.1 action of note at DCC?

Straight Pool Junkie

Tom_In_Cincy
01-16-2006, 04:13 PM
Posted by Bob Jewett on RSB newsgroup
Bob Jewett
http://www.sfbilliards.com/

Here are the results for the Straight Pool Shootout
at the Derby City Classic. The total prize fund
was $18,750 which includes $10,000 added. There
were about 8 runs of 100 or more. The Diamond
tables were playing rather tight.

The format was to place a break ball and run
as many as you can on each try. One entry for
$50 got you three tries. Buy-backs were permitted
but with fewer tries. The number of tries in
the finals depended on your high run -- higher
runs got more tries.

Engert had only two innings in the finals, and
shot a 56 on the first one which ended in an
unlikely scratch on the fifth break ball. His
126 run had some amazing shots in it.

Complete Straight Pool Payouts:
Prelims
$2400 Danny Harriman 139
$1600 Alex Pagulayan 130
$1100 Corey Deuel 110
$800 Leil Gay 103

Finals
$3600 Thomas Engert 128
$2400 Corey Deuel 121
$1600 John Schmidt 87
$1000 Danny Harriman 75
$700 Alex Pagulayan 46

High Run Bonus
$3550 Danny Harriman 139

Deeman3
01-17-2006, 03:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr> Who won the straight pool challenge at Derby City? Was any of it filmed?
I hear John Schmidt ran 100 for Accustats. Any other 14.1 action of note at DCC? <font color="blue">

I watched John run his hundred and something for the $1,000 on the TV table. He did a great job and they did film it, I believe, but my guess is they will just put it on the end of another match tape as the whole run only lasted about 20 minutes.

Deeman </font color>

Straight Pool Junkie <hr /></blockquote>

DickLeonard
01-18-2006, 05:49 AM
Deeman I guess Louie Butera record is still in the book. I don't think anyone will beat that record.####

Deeman3
01-18-2006, 06:55 AM
Dick,

They had an old straight pool match on ESPN last night from New York with Ciscero Murphy playing Lassiter. It was in black and white and everyone looked so young. Wimpy won 150-111 but it was a nice match. I hope they show more of these in the future. It was an original ABC broadcast with Chris Shenkle as host.

I do remember Lou running around the table. I wonder if his son, Sal, still plays?

Deeman

Scott Lee
01-18-2006, 07:34 AM
Dee...Sal still plays. He hangs out in a couple poolrooms around L.A. and out in the valley. There was a series of McDonald's tv commercials a few years ago, with different 'pro' athletes wearing the Ronald McDonald costume (golf, bowling, pool, etc). Sal wore it for the pool segment...LOL Last I heard, he was working at Quintessentials, which is a billiard supply store, with a few outlets. Maybe somebody out there has an update.

Scott

Rich R.
01-18-2006, 07:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> <font color="blue">

I watched John run his hundred and something for the $1,000 on the TV table. He did a great job and they did film it, I believe, but my guess is they will just put it on the end of another match tape as the whole run only lasted about 20 minutes. </font color> <hr /></blockquote>
I'm sorry, but I am a little confused.
Why isn't this 100+ run, by John Schmidt, reflected in the results posted by Tom?

Wasn't this run part of the Straight Pool Challenge?

Deeman3
01-18-2006, 07:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> <font color="blue">

I watched John run his hundred and something for the $1,000 on the TV table. He did a great job and they did film it, I believe, but my guess is they will just put it on the end of another match tape as the whole run only lasted about 20 minutes. </font color> <hr /></blockquote>
I'm sorry, but I am a little confused.
Why isn't this 100+ run, by John Schmidt, reflected in the results posted by Tom?

Wasn't this run part of the Straight Pool Challenge? <font color="blue"> Rich,

No, this was a separate challenge for just John to try and set a high run of balls. I think Lou Sardo put up the dime for this but I could be wrong. This happened on the TV table, where I was earlier slaughtered. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif As John completed his run, Alex P. yelled, "It's my turn!" but I don't think anyone wanted to sponsor him. John Schmidt has run 400 balls so that is why he was asked to do this. </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Deeman

Rich R.
01-18-2006, 08:10 AM
Deeman, thanks for clearing that up.

Bob_Jewett
01-18-2006, 03:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr> Who won the straight pool challenge at Derby City? Was any of it filmed?
I hear John Schmidt ran 100 for Accustats. Any other 14.1 action of note at DCC?

Straight Pool Junkie <hr /></blockquote>
As others pointed out, John Schmidt did the 100 for Accu-stats, not for the challenge. He had an 85 and an 84 back-to-back in the prelims and an 87 in the finals. The TV table was playing a little looser than the tables in the straight pool room as the lights kept it dry.

In addition to the runs listed, I think Archer had a 100 in the prelims, and Deuel had one other 100+ run. Generally, I think the players liked the format, and it was easy to fit between the other DCC events.

dmgwalsh
01-19-2006, 06:57 AM
They had an old straight pool match on ESPN last night from New York with Ciscero Murphy playing Lassiter. It was in black and white and everyone looked so young. Wimpy won 150-111 but it was a nice match. I hope they show more of these in the future. It was an original ABC broadcast with Chris Shenkle as host.

Wow. I wonder if anyone taped it.

Deeman3
01-19-2006, 07:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr> They had an old straight pool match on ESPN last night from New York with Ciscero Murphy playing Lassiter. It was in black and white and everyone looked so young. Wimpy won 150-111 but it was a nice match. I hope they show more of these in the future. It was an original ABC broadcast with Chris Shenkle as host.

Wow. I wonder if anyone taped it. <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">

I DVD'ed it on my Dish box. That damn Dish Network box has made me lazy and I don't tape much anymore. Besides, when i see something on ESPN, I assume it will be broadcast 200 times during the next few months. The show was nice and I hope they do more. I was expecting one of the other oldtimers matches they have shown but the Ciscero Murphy part caugfht my attention. </font color>

Deeman

dmgwalsh
01-19-2006, 07:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr> They had an old straight pool match on ESPN last night from New York with Ciscero Murphy playing Lassiter. It was in black and white and everyone looked so young. Wimpy won 150-111 but it was a nice match. I hope they show more of these in the future. It was an original ABC broadcast with Chris Shenkle as host.

Wow. I wonder if anyone taped it. <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">

I DVD'ed it on my Dish box. That damn Dish Network box has made me lazy and I don't tape much anymore. Besides, when i see something on ESPN, I assume it will be broadcast 200 times during the next few months. The show was nice and I hope they do more. I was expecting one of the other oldtimers matches they have shown but the Ciscero Murphy part caugfht my attention. </font color>

Deeman [/quote

I don't have tivo so am a bit unfamiliar with what can be done.
Are you able to burn a copy to dvd?
If so, do you think you could burn me a copy? I have everything else out there on 14.1 and could copy something for you if you like.

Deeman3
01-19-2006, 07:26 AM
I don't think there is a way to transfer the Dish DVD (it's an internal DVD) to tape or DVD but I'll ask my IT guy here at work. If not, I'll make sure I tape it when it comes on again (if it does).

Deeman