PDA

View Full Version : Tournament Play

bygjerry
01-16-2006, 09:38 AM
I'm thinking of playing in a tournament later this month. It's not very big and first place is around $300.00. Now I consider myself an OK player my APA skill level is a 7..but I really think it is due to lack of competition.So my question is what drills if any she I practice over the next few weeks to get my game sharp? Any feedback will of course be greatly appreciated

Billy_Bob
01-16-2006, 12:06 PM
Your post does not make sense to me?

Most APA 7's I know are excellent very experienced players who have played in tons of tournaments. And they already know what to practice before a tournament.

Most 7's will practice shots they are having trouble with and will practice shooting the same shot whlie leaving the cue ball in different positions.

Anyway it would help if you could give more information.

Is the APA 7 correct and is this for an 8-ball or 9-ball league?

Have you only played in APA tournaments?

What is the tournament you are going to play in, 8-ball? 9-ball?

What shots are you having trouble with?

bygjerry
01-16-2006, 12:52 PM
Well I am an APA 7 and was for all of last year. I usually just practice with a friend of mine playing defensivly against each other. Now I have never really believed I am a SL 7 figuring only because the majority of players in our APA league or fairly average 3's and 4's maybe I was just better than average therefore a 7.In 2 seasons I lost maybe only 5 times. My team lost in the final of the team championships twice and I lost in the regional final to a teamate never the less.Over the years I have played in several tournaments locally mostly on bar tables and usually place in the top 4 with several 1st place finishes.League play is 8-ball recreational I play 9-ball and the tourney is nine ball on bar tables. It's just strange I always seems to have a hard time in tournaments maybe it's the fact that I don't belive in myself or it could be that I just do not practice or do not know how to practice correctly.....either way I apprecite any information you can give thanks again.

Billy_Bob
01-16-2006, 01:31 PM
I see... you are a *modest* 7!

Actually you are doing quite well to get 1st place in tournaments! Or to get 4th place even.

I assume you can leave good position for your next shots?

Run 5 or more balls in one inning typically?

If yes, then I would just suggest playing in as many tournaments as you can. Then see what is giving you trouble. Practice those things.

Also some players suggest not practicing too much before a tournament, but resting. Then just warm-up before a tournament.

Do you have any specific things which are giving you trouble?

bygjerry
01-16-2006, 01:45 PM
I guess I am modest then I just think I can be better?! I mean I play and play then I match up against a player I should DESTROY and I barely win...well that's all mental. But yeah I usually run 4-5 balls I collected 10 break and run patches an 2 8 on the break patches. I mean I have my days. My problem in 9-ball is going from the 7 to the 9 I seem to always get out of line and then BANG I lose. So I was just hoping on practicing something to get me better shape....BTW thanks for your time there Billy_Bob. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Billy_Bob
01-16-2006, 02:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bygjerry:</font><hr>...But yeah I usually run 4-5 balls I collected 10 break and run patches an 2 8 on the break patches... <hr /></blockquote>

Geeeze... You are a shark! You are an exceptional player. Congratulations on the excellent playing!

It might be that you are such a good player, no one tells you this. If I stomp all over another player, they don't tell me good shooting, they say very little. They are not amused. And if I have stomped on certain players in the past, when I walk in, they don't say much to me. They have a look like they would rather I turn around and go back out the door.

So the better I get, the fewer compliments I get. (Except from my teammates when playing league. They like it and cheer when I stomp on someone. But when I play them before a tournament and win, they don't look happy.)

For the 7 to 9 problem, throw the 6, 7, 8, and 9 on the table at random. Then practice running out. When you get good at this, then when you get to the 6, it will be "piece of cake" from there on!

Here are some other things which may or may not help...

Drills can help with shots which you have trouble with. I play better the more I shoot a specific shot. I am not so good at shots I seldom shoot. So I look at drills as a tool I can use to get "time under my belt" for a specific, seldom used, shot.

For example a beginner may rarely use a mechanical bridge or shoot object balls which are frozen to a rail. If they practice shooting 15 balls daily using the mechanical bridge and shooting in 15 balls which are frozen to the rail, and do this for two months, then they will get to be quite good at these shots.

There are hundreds of drills you can do. But if you are good at certain shots already, then might not be a good idea to practice drills for what you are good at.

Also there is warm-up practice. For myself, the following is helpful for a warm-up and to see if I am having trouble with anything before a tournament. Sometimes after a long drive to a tournament, I might have trouble with straight in shots. Or on another day my cut shots might be off. So I can arrive an hour early to a tournament, do the following warm-up, and see if I am playing well or need to practice certain shots. If say I'm off on my cuts shot that day, then I'll practice cut shots.
Warm-up...
http://www.geocities.com/billybobnospam/basic_daily_practice.html

Then there is runout practice. Throw 3 balls on the table and practice leaving the cue ball in a good position for your next shot.

And 8-ball practice. Break and be one player (say solids). If you miss a shot, switch to being the other player (say stripes). If you play a safety when you are playing solids, then switch to being stripes, you can see how good your safety actually was.

For 9-ball, play 9-ball. If you miss a shot, getting position, whatever, stop right there, then set up that shot again. Practice that specific shot.

But as I said, the better players usually will set up specific shots and practice leaving the cue ball in different places with that shot. They will remember a shot they missed when they played the last time, and will be practicing that specific shot.

And some top players say if you miss a shot, set-up that specific shot, mark the position of the balls with chalk, then shoot the same exact shot 100 times.

TxWhrlWnd1
01-16-2006, 04:24 PM
I know exactly how you feel. The better you get the less the players you have beat in the past want you around. I too am a strong player. I am also a friendly player who likes to talk before and after a match. I enjoy sharing pool stories with people but the more I beat the less want to hang around and shoot the bull.
As for the APA 7 player. I myself dont like to shoot leagues but do enjoy a good practice routine as often as possible. To greatly improve your game pick up Robert Byrne's video #5. It is practicing for the advanced player. It has many great practice routines that will quickly and noticibly improve your game. Don't be emarrased to take a pen and paper to the pool hall and record your results for each routine. Also find the rules for a game I belive is called Masters 99. It will show you how you rank with the pros. I know that Efrin Reyes averages a 92 in this game. <font color="red"> </font color> <font color="black"> </font color>

SpiderMan
01-17-2006, 07:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bygjerry:</font><hr> I'm thinking of playing in a tournament later this month. It's not very big and first place is around $300.00. Now I consider myself an OK player my APA skill level is a 7..but I really think it is due to lack of competition.So my question is what drills if any she I practice over the next few weeks to get my game sharp? Any feedback will of course be greatly appreciated <hr /></blockquote>

Where are you, geographically?

SpiderMan

bygjerry
01-17-2006, 07:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote> Rio Grande Valley.Why?

Deeman3
01-17-2006, 08:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bygjerry:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
<hr /></blockquote> Rio Grande Valley.Why? <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">So Spiderman can hunt you down and take your money. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

Deeman

Perk
01-17-2006, 08:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bygjerry:</font><hr> My problem in 9-ball is going from the 7 to the 9 I seem to always get out of line and then BANG I lose. <hr /></blockquote>

Practice this by just tossing 3 - 4 balls onto the table and runout. Repeat. Dont worry which balls you toss, just always go in order. Your confidence should increase simply from the repetition of this process. Using the open space of the table will allow you to move the cueball in different patterns during this process. Open up your mind on some of the shots that you routinely play the same way everytime.

When you miss one of these shots, ask your self why you missed and set it up again if needed.

Finishing a rack of 9ball might add a bit of tension into your stroke, since each shot you take builds anxiety as you get closer to the end. Freely running balls and getting used to common 2 or 3 ball patterns should help you.

Good luck.

bygjerry
01-17-2006, 09:35 AM
<hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">So Spiderman can hunt you down and take your money. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

Deeman <hr /></blockquote>Yikes!! I thought he was my friendly neighborhood Spider Man! LOL Well I will be in Dallas in March. Where do you guys shoot pool in Byg D? BTW thanks for all the info guys I really appreciate it!

Scott Lee
01-17-2006, 10:33 AM
bygjerry...Perk gave you the best advice, imo. However, I would temper that with one condition. Throw any three balls out on the table. Take b-i-h on the first shot. You MUST get easy (30 degree angle or less) on each of the following two shots...otherwise the run does not count (and you start over). It does not build confidance for easy end-game situations just to be able to "get out", no matter how tough the shots are. That's why practicing getting the correct angles, on the correct side of the OB is so critical...and why this is the ideal way to practice this kind of exercise. When you can perform the 'easy out' 15 out of 20 tries, you may add another ball. Trust me, this will help your anxiety more than shooting tough shots, or practicing the same shot 100x in a row. jmo

Scott Lee

SpiderMan
01-17-2006, 11:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bygjerry:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
<hr /></blockquote> Rio Grande Valley.Why? <hr /></blockquote>
I'd never heard of "BYG", thought it might be an abbreviation for a town.

SpiderMan

bygjerry
01-17-2006, 11:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd never heard of "BYG", thought it might be an abbreviation for a town.

<hr /></blockquote> Sorry, no my brother likes to tease me because I have lost some weight. Kind of like the show Biggest Loser? So he calls me BYG Jerry...

SpiderMan
01-17-2006, 11:36 AM
When will you be in Dallas? You can probably attend local cash tournaments any night of the week in this town.

SpiderMan

bygjerry
01-17-2006, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When will you be in Dallas? You can probably attend local cash tournaments any night of the week in this town.
<hr /></blockquote> March 11-17 let me know where the hot spots are at.

SpiderMan
01-17-2006, 03:47 PM
<hr /></blockquote> March 11-17 let me know where the hot spots are at. <hr /></blockquote>

Send me a pm when the time gets closer, we'll meet up and shoot a few. I can recommend some appropriate spots once I have a feel for your skill level. An APA 7 can be anywhere from a tough bar player to a world-beater. There's no where to advance from "7" in APA 8-ball.

That's why I was wondering about your specific town of residence - I'd ask our local APA director how tough the market is in your area.

SpiderMan