PDA

View Full Version : Sharking your opponent

Buzzsaw
01-17-2006, 01:58 PM
I know this is something I have to over come but it really bothers me. I have a friend that I practice with on a regular basis and he feels like he has to do what ever it takes to win. I can handle getting beat. It's happened enough throughout my life that I realize it's part of the game (you can't win them all). What I really dislike is to have my opponent jump out of their chair just as I am making my follow through stroke, or continually talk to other people while I am shooting. My feeling is that he can't beat me so he does things that will distract me. He always talks about wanting to really practice hard and get better (he is a good player now) but he pulls this kind of bulls**t. I've counted 10 times in one session where he has literally jumped up in front of me while I was shooting and then if I would miss he will give me a look as if to say "I can'r believe you missed an easy shot like that". I've tried to talk to him about it but he denies even doing it. Just about everyone he plays with complains about the same thing. How do you convince someone like that to stop sharking his friends. I even hesitate to call it sharking because that, in my opinion, would insinuate we were playing for money. It's just practice.

Billy_Bob
01-17-2006, 02:16 PM
Just keep playing him and winning. Ignore it. Eventually it will no longer bother you. It is good experience for you, and there are many distractions at tournaments, so this will help you to learn to block these things out.

So far as your friend, forget-about-it! These people are hopeless. They put their efforts into cheating rather than practice. I regularly play several people like this. I am amused by what they try to pull. One guy tries to "hex" the pockets, me, my cue, the balls, or whatever (he is seriously doing this!). These thing seem to work on lesser skilled players, but for some reason, they don't work on me. So he is frustrated as to why I seem to be immune to his hexes. Maybe I am aiming properly?

You can also add a bit of fun to you practice. Give your friend the following "insults"...

You couldn't shoot your way out of a wet paper bag!

Aren't you starting to get splinters in your fingers from racking so much?

You couldn't run that table if you put sneakers on and climbed on top!

I've never seen an ATM on two legs!

Sorry Iím standing so far away. I don't want any of your game rubbing off on me!

You are so bad, even your guide dog won't look at you!

Why do you take so much time to shoot? You're still going to miss!

After you make a perfect kick shot, say: I was born kicking!

You couldn't run out if they opened every door in the building!

Great shot! You must have closed your eyes!

I'm going to beat you like you stole something from me!

You should just hang on to the rack. They say reaching down is bad for your back!

You'd be better off trading your cue in for a swimsuit and playing in the other kind of pool!

I thought you said you wanted to shoot pool. When do you plan on starting?

Even my three legged one eyed dog could have made that shot!

Say to a male opponent about to shoot: Does your husband play pool?

Doesnít it suck when an [censored] like me gets all the rolls?

After a ball rattles out of one pocket and it goes in another: Damn, Iíve got to be the luckiest son of a bitch on earth!

While opponent is racking: You must like that end of the table. You sure do spend a lot of time down there!

Man your good! Too bad you lost...

My one legged grandma could have made that shot, and she has termites!

You're about as predictable as a wasp on speed!

You play like a beginner's girlfriend!

Opponentís team member playing badly: They call him Lantern. He isnít too bright and they always have to carry him!

You couldn't run a pair of panty hose!

You talk more [censored] than a manure salesman!

Keep dreaming Alice, you'll make it to Wonderland!

Youíre going down faster than a two dollar whore!

You couldn't hit a bull in the butt with a base fiddle!

Steve Wonder could have made that shot!

Say to experienced opponent: I used to play like that when I first started, too.

They call him HHH. Hit Hard and Hope!

Drop1
01-17-2006, 06:36 PM
So why do you continue to practice with him?

walt8880
01-17-2006, 07:07 PM
There are some who do this continually and I am not sure if it is an attempt to bother you or just an annoying habit to try to overcome their own inadequacy. He probably does the same thing in other areas of his life also.

You have a few choices.

1. Ignore it - I think not a good choice, because you are there to practice and have fun, not be annoyed by him.

2. Every time he does it or begins to, just stop. Don't shoot or do anything. When he sits down or moves out of your line, shuts up or whatever, begin your preshot routine all over. He will finally either get the message or ask you why. Tell him.

3. Stop practicing with him. Tell him why.

If these solutions pi** him off, so be it. Life is too short to be aggravated by this kind of stuff when you are trying to have fun and improve.

Also, if you want to play a social game, do it and have fun. If you really want to practice, do it alone.

Buzzsaw
01-18-2006, 06:37 AM
Thanks, you guys are right. I just need to use it to my advantage instead of letting it get to me. The thing is is that the guy plays great pool and doesn't need to do it.

His attitude is to win at all cost, even friendship.

Drop1 - I continue because he has been my friend since grade school.

CaptainHook
01-18-2006, 07:42 AM
Do not let it get to you. He has been a good freind for a long time. Just accept him as he is. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Perk
01-18-2006, 07:56 AM
Verbal sharking doesnt bother me, since I tune that kinda stuff out. What can get to me though, is when I make a shot and the cueball rolls into a possibly tuff shot where I might not be able to get through to the next ball, and the player jumps up runs to the table to check and see if I am gonna be able to make it. Not sure why that irritates me, but it does. Seems like they could just wait to see if I miss, then get up and evalutate the table.

I wont get up to check to see if someone hooked themself. I wonder if they are hooked, but I can just wait to see the end result.