PDA

View Full Version : MLK day

pooltchr
01-17-2006, 07:24 PM
Having been around when Rev. King was alive, I had the highest admiration for the things he was able to accomplish. I am disgusted, though not totally surprised, that two high profile democrats chose yesterday to make comments that seemed to promote friction between two races rather that to promote the unity that Rev. King seemed to stand for.
The mayor of New Orleans saying that NO would rebuild and be a "Chocolate" city!!!!!! If the mayor of my town made a comment about a "Vanilla" city, he would be publically flogged as a racist.
The Senator from New York using the word "Plantation" to describe the congress!!! There is one image that comes to mind when that word is used...slavery. Why would these so called leaders use the memory of MLK to make such devisive comments? What has the democratic party done to elevate the status of minorities within their own party? Hillery may have just ended any chance she might have had to get back to the white house. I predict that if she runs, that comment is going to haunt her.
It makes me sick to see Rev King's day used to promote racism by the leaders of the party who claims to support the minorities.
And people wonder why the Democrats have a hard time getting elected!
Just my rant for the day!
Steve

Gayle in MD
01-17-2006, 11:58 PM
Yeah, I felt the same way when Bush used the Veterans Day Memorial Service for his own political purposes. And when he stood in the White House, and said that marriage is between a man and a woman....thereby alienating all the gay people in our country, and who told him that anyway, God?
And when his Mother said that living in the Astrodome in Texas, was working out well for the blacks in New Orleans since so many of them were homeless anyway, and expressed her fears that they might decide to stay, "Kind of scarey to think"

Hiliary certainly got a rousing cheer from several thousand black people who were present when she said it, and Al Sharpton was singing her praises tonight on the talk shows, so I wouldn't worry too much, many are on to the Republican practice of taking words out of context to try to smear Democrats, so they will probably see through it.

We won't be wondering about why the Republicans don't get elected in the coming elections, it'll be because they're all in jail, getting born again, no doubt, and singing God's praises, so they can dupe the public into voting for them again when they get out, LOL.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pooltchr
01-18-2006, 05:45 AM
Gayle,
You are very good at skirting around the edges of things.
Do you think Nagan and the honorable senator from New York were right or wrong in doing what they did? Is it that hard for you to admit that the democrats are just as messed up as you seem to think the republicans are?
Steve

Gayle in MD
01-18-2006, 09:00 AM
That's your opinion, not mine. I have never seen a party so corrupt in my lifetime. I have never witnessed such total abuse of our laws as I see in this Republican Administration. I think that Senator Clinton's comments were right on, and that Nagen's comments were meant to say that New Orleans would still have black and white residents after re-building. I think he was trying to assure the blacks that their property, and the rental areas, would not be rebuilt in a manner which would preclude them from returning to affordable living for poor people, and black people. I also think that he did not do all that he should have dont to prepare NO for the hurricane, and that FEMA and George Bush should be totally ashamed of their lack of response to the hurricane, and I also think that George Bush has rendered FEMA impotent with his bright idea to merge Fema with his also impotent Homeland Security Agency. I think that George Bush has greatly expanded the numbers of people who hate America, and that he is a power hungry dictator, who wishes to alter the law to fit his wishes, while he and his party lie about what is really happening in Iraq, and what all their secret meetings with the Oil companies, and efforts to go around the FISA laws, are impeachable offenses far greater than anything that I have seen in my lifetime. And, also, I am ashamed that my country is now a country that is known for torture.

A more accurate question might be....Can You ever admit to any of the illegal, offensive, and damaging actions resulting from a republican President, Congress, and Senate?

Since Democrats are not in power, and have not been in approval of many of the laws broken by George Bush, or his Republican majority which has done everything they can do to destroy our checks and balances, and contaminate government by blurring the lines between separation of Church and State, and refuse to abide by the laws which are there to protect Americans from unlawful surviellance, and fix intelligence to suit their wishes for war, and maintain ridiculous tax breaks for the rich while sending our paraphelegics home from a war with their rehabilitative funds cut, I do not hold Democrats responsible for these atrocities.

Gayle in Md.

pooltchr
01-18-2006, 11:44 AM
HC is so far out of touch with the real world that she doesn't have a clue. The plantation comment was meant for one thing...to rally the black audience she was addressing against the opposition party.

As for Nagen, If that is what he meant, why did he retract his comments. Did he realize he made himself look like a fool, or did he not mean what he said?

Both of them in my opinion are major bigots who continue to divide the races rather than work toward bringing them together.

Steve

SpiderMan
01-18-2006, 12:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> HC is so far out of touch with the real world that she doesn't have a clue. The plantation comment was meant for one thing...to rally the black audience she was addressing against the opposition party.

As for Nagen, If that is what he meant, why did he retract his comments. Did he realize he made himself look like a fool, or did he not mean what he said?

Both of them in my opinion are major bigots who continue to divide the races rather than work toward bringing them together.

Steve <hr /></blockquote>

A politician will show a "divisive" or an "inclusive" face, depending on the opportunity presented. These people are only politicians, trying to make their target audience think that they're somehow different from the other side's politicians. But they're all pretty much the same, at least after a few years in public service.

Hillary just said what she thought will work for her audience. Same with Nagen, though his remarks came across more spontaneous/racist and Hillary's more premeditated/pandering.

SpiderMan

Gayle in MD
01-18-2006, 07:50 PM
Well so what, why shouldn't she try to rally her audience, she's a politician isn't she? Isn't that what she was there to do? Let's fact it, they are all "On" all the time. Newt Gingrich said the very same thing about the Democrats when they were in power, along with about a dozen other republicans. Very same words. 1994. I guess that wasn't bigotry though, LOL.

As for the act of dividing, racially or otherwise, no one can light a candle to GWB.

I don't think either of them are bigots. Neither of them is perfect, either, but I don't think they were expressing any kind of bigotry in their statements, just a pool choice of words, blown out of porportion by the media.

Gayle in Md.

Drop1
01-18-2006, 08:54 PM
One hundred Senators...one is Black. RIP MLK. We are working on your dream,but you know...getting elected gets in the way.

pooltchr
01-19-2006, 06:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> One hundred Senators...one is Black. RIP MLK. We are working on your dream,but you know...getting elected gets in the way. <hr /></blockquote>

Ain't it the truth!!!!

SPetty
01-19-2006, 11:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> I don't think either of them are bigots. Neither of them is perfect, either, but I don't think they were expressing any kind of bigotry in their statements, just a poor choice of words, blown out of proportion by the media.<hr /></blockquote>The liberal left wing press that panders to the Democrats and vilifies the Republicans? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Chopstick
01-20-2006, 06:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> I don't think either of them are bigots. Neither of them is perfect, either, but I don't think they were expressing any kind of bigotry in their statements, just a poor choice of words, blown out of proportion by the media.<hr /></blockquote>The liberal left wing press that panders to the Democrats and vilifies the Republicans? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Al Sharpton was on TV the other night saing there was nothing wrong with the "Plantation" comment. If a Republican would have said it he would have been screaming from the roof tops.

In the end, one side or the other, the "Party" owns them all.

Gayle in MD
01-20-2006, 08:57 AM
When Newt Gingrich said it back in 94, the Democrats called them on it, but the press didn't make such an issue of it.

Senator Clinton will always be a great target of the right wing press, as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end, Amen!

Something to consider it that often when politicians are speaking to a specific croud, in the spirit of the moment, and among their supporters, they forget that what they are saying, at the moment, to that particular croud, in that particular atmosphere, will ultimately be heard by all of us. The press does a fabulous job of taking out only the dramatic statements to use as sound bites for their audience. Kind of reminds you of a bunch of gosippy old busy bodies huh?

Politicians must be getting something for being up there, there isn't enough money in the world that would entice me to be under the scrutiny that comes along with their vocation. I do think many of them want to make positive changes to the world, we'd all love to be able to do that. Of course, those types are all Democrats, LOL....

Gayle in Md.

Gayle in MD
01-20-2006, 08:59 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pooltchr
01-20-2006, 09:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr>
often when politicians are speaking to a specific croud, in the spirit of the moment, and among their supporters, they forget that what they are saying, at the moment, to that particular croud, in that particular atmosphere, will ultimately be heard by all of us. <hr /></blockquote>

Am I understanding you to say that you believe her comments were meant for the specific audience that was there, but had she stopped to think that the rest of the world would also hear it, she might have changed her tone?

If that's the case, do you think she was saying what she truely believes, or was she directing comments that were intended to stir up the specific audience at the time?

Steve

Gayle in MD
01-20-2006, 12:04 PM
No, I think that she meant every word she said, but meant it to suggest that the republicans are acting like the plantation owners, they have all the power, and they don't want the Democrats to have a say in anything, and will do anything to prevent the Democrats from any input, or dialog, including middle of the night votes, thousands of pages long, with not enough time alloted for oversight from the other party, and prok barrell earmarks to pay off their bribers hidden in other bills.

Gayle in MD,