PDA

View Full Version : What can I do to make my game better?

Manda
01-18-2006, 10:59 AM
I have been playing for some 10 years now, maybe longer. Have been on a few leagues, BCA, now I am in Valley. It seems in the past few years my game has stayed the same. I only play on league night, and sometimes a few hours every other weekend. A lot of people consider me a pretty good player. I personally am not happy with the way I have been shooting, it's no where near the expectations that I have of myself. I guess the question here is, Is there anything that I can do in the short amount of playing time that I have to improve my game?

Snapshot9
01-18-2006, 11:54 AM
If you are just out to have a good time and nothing else
then no, there isn't. If you are serious about being better,
yes, there is, but it takes hard work. If you can not spend
more time shooting, then you have to make the most of the time you do have. Take lessons from a qualified instructor. They can help you improve faster, show you how you should be thinking about the game, give you good practice drills to do,
etc.. A boyfriend or husband isn't going to cut it, get a
qualified instructor. People don't think anything about taking lessons for tennis, golf, swimming, but rarely think
about it for Pool.

randyg
01-18-2006, 01:31 PM
Hi Manda.

Where do you live? Maybe Scott Lee or myself could help. We do Pool Schools all over the USA......SPF-randyg

Billy_Bob
01-18-2006, 01:46 PM
What I have done in the past to improve is to remember a shot I had trouble with. Something I did which caused me to lose a match or whatever. Then practice that shot every day for the next two months.

So say there is something you are not good at. Say draw. Well every day, shoot in a rack of balls with each shot being a draw shot.

Do you have anything specific you have trouble with?

Manda
01-18-2006, 02:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snapshot9:</font><hr> If you are just out to have a good time and nothing else
then no, there isn't. If you are serious about being better,
yes, there is, but it takes hard work. If you can not spend
more time shooting, then you have to make the most of the time you do have. Take lessons from a qualified instructor. They can help you improve faster, show you how you should be thinking about the game, give you good practice drills to do,
etc.. A boyfriend or husband isn't going to cut it, get a
qualified instructor. People don't think anything about taking lessons for tennis, golf, swimming, but rarely think
about it for Pool. <hr /></blockquote>

Your right. I think maybe I can live with where I am considering I don't get enough time at the table. And I really do just play for fun. I think maybe if I played more this might be more of an issue but that is really the only kind of competition I play in besides state. I guess I'm just a bit overly worried. They made me a master last year, and I think I am just getting a bit anxious about having to play in the division at state this year. I just used to be quite a bit better and I've just been upset lately with myself and my choices on the table.

Buzzsaw
01-18-2006, 02:15 PM
Bob - I play every day for at least 2 hours. When I get into a little funk about a shot I do the same thing. For example, if I am having trouble with hitting side pocket shots then I'll spend a couple of days shooting nothing but sidepocket shots until I get comfortable making them. I think a lot of it has to do with repitition which brings confidence.

dr_dave
01-18-2006, 03:42 PM
The best way to improve is to practice (especially, if you work on your trouble areas), but it doesn't sound like you have lots of extra time for that. It might also help you to see an experienced and qualified instructor. They can often see problems or deficiencies with your mechanics and game that you might not know are there. They can also provide good advice for how to improve. Finally, if you haven't done so yet, you should read some books about pool. Improving your knowledge and understanding of the game might give you a wider arsenal of shots, help you be more creative at the table, help you be more aware of important factors for different types of shots, and help you improve with less practice.

Regards,
Dave

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Manda:</font><hr> I have been playing for some 10 years now, maybe longer. Have been on a few leagues, BCA, now I am in Valley. It seems in the past few years my game has stayed the same. I only play on league night, and sometimes a few hours every other weekend. A lot of people consider me a pretty good player. I personally am not happy with the way I have been shooting, it's no where near the expectations that I have of myself. I guess the question here is, Is there anything that I can do in the short amount of playing time that I have to improve my game? <hr /></blockquote>

dr_dave
01-18-2006, 03:51 PM
FYI, there was a past thread with other good suggestions (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=183464&amp;page =0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;vc=1) that might be of interest to you. Check it out.

FYI, the online threads summary area of my website (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/threads.html) provides convenient links to many important topics (including this one, under "advice") that might be of interest to you.

Regards,
Dave

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Manda:</font><hr> I have been playing for some 10 years now, maybe longer. Have been on a few leagues, BCA, now I am in Valley. It seems in the past few years my game has stayed the same. I only play on league night, and sometimes a few hours every other weekend. A lot of people consider me a pretty good player. I personally am not happy with the way I have been shooting, it's no where near the expectations that I have of myself. I guess the question here is, Is there anything that I can do in the short amount of playing time that I have to improve my game? <hr /></blockquote>