PDA

View Full Version : 8 foot or 9 foot table? 57" or 52" cue ???

MarvinG
01-18-2006, 11:00 AM
Hi -

First time poster, so sorry if this has been asked and answered....

I'm buying my first table for home use, read all about the room size recommendations for different tables and cue sizes...but it's down to this.....in my basement I can get an 8 foot table with virtually no obstacles, or a 9 foot table with 3 obstacles (the latter being two short 2 foot walls and a support pole that are all still 50" away so I'd use a short cue if needed there)

So I am debating what to do, but leaning toward the 9 foot, on the belief that a) its a more enjoyable/challenging size b) most of the table is free and clear and c)I read somewhere that in pool, size really does matter - and one should not opt for a shorter table if the only reason is for sake of avoiding a few obstacles.

If I go with 9 foot, do I still go with 57" cues so as to fully get the benefit for the open areas of the table?.....or do I go with 52" cues to minimize the occurences of hitting an obstacle? I'm thinking 57".

Any advice from those who have played far more than I??

Thanks

Marvin

JPB
01-18-2006, 11:05 AM
8 foot. Don't believe those websites. You can't use 52" cues all the time and enjoy the game. A standard cue is now 58".

I looked at one of those charts recently because someone I know on a non-pool forum was asking this question. The chart said he could have a bigger table with 48" cues, which I found totally unacceptable. I think these charts are fooling some people. I wish I had room for a 9' table myself, but only have an 8'. My dream house will have at least a 9' table, hopefully a 9' pool and 10' billiards. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

But until then, don't overstuff your room. You will have more fun playing real pool unobstructed on an 8' table than playing with childrens cues on a 9' that overstuffs the room.

MarvinG
01-18-2006, 01:45 PM
Hmmmm... Some of the web sites also provide 'good' advice ie warn not to forget about allowing room for the stroke. So if I go with a 57" cue, and allow for six inches for a comfortable stroke (ie allow for 63" of room) then of course its even worse, I will have obstacles on any size, ie just remeasured and have the following conditions:

a) 8 foot table (22 linear feet)
- 2 feet of perimeter only 59"
- 2 feet of perimeter only 56"
- 2 feet of perimeter only 54"
-16 feet of perimeter more than 63"

ie 72% free and clear, 9% at or above cue length but little stroke and 9% less than cue length.

b) 9 foot table (25 linear feet)
- 7 feet of perimeter only 60"
- 4 feet of perimeter only 53"
- 2 feet of perimeter only 48"
-12 feet of perimeter more than 63"

ie 48% free and clear, 28% at or above cue length but little stroke, and 24% less than cue length.

So looks like eveb 8 feet will have the odd short cue shot, and 9 feet is just asking for trouble...even though I convinced myself and the family on 9 being a better game!!!!

Marvin

Deeman3
01-18-2006, 01:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MarvinG:</font><hr>

So looks like eveb 8 feet will have the odd short cue shot, and 9 feet is just asking for trouble...even though I convinced myself and the family on 9 being a better game!!!! <font color="blue">

Marvin,

I prefer a 9 footer but that what I play tournaments on. There are many reasons to go to a smaller one. The drawbacks of a 9 footer are the floorspace you are talking about but also, most people who want a 9 footer don't understand the increased length makes for many more bridge assisted shots, many less skilled players will get frustrated at the more difficult shots on a long table. If you are only wanting a recreational table, don't be afraid to go with the 8 footer. You'll develop the same skills that you would on a 9 and it will be more enjoyable for the entire family, unless your wife shoots like Corey Deul!

I would avoid playing any more shots with a less than standard length 58" cue. That will be harder to overcome than the extra few inches of table when you need to adjust to a big table.

Deeman </font color>

Marvin
<hr /></blockquote>

Bassn7
01-18-2006, 11:49 PM
Your pool goals should determine your table size. If your going to practice and excel at playing straight pool/nine ball games, get the 9 footer. If your trying to be a master of the bar table 8-ball/9-ball game, then put in a 7 foot Valley bar box. I love my regulation bar box. Tons of room and really applies to my goals. Decide on your practice needs and let the table help you.

TxWhrlWnd1
01-19-2006, 10:40 AM
Go with the 8'. I sold pool tables for two years here in the Austin area. A situation that always came up was the customers who went for the 9ft even though they were limited on room. They ALWAYS came back with in a couple months wanting to trade down to the 8ft. The main complaint was that shooting with the 52" cue or even the 48" just didnt seem as fun. A pool table is a big investment and you would hate to lose money on it.

MarvinG
01-19-2006, 01:57 PM
Thanks guys for the various perspectives. It was useful for me to help weigh the pro and cons. I have no aspirations for tournament play - just want to be able to learn to play (very well if possible), play often, and maximiize my enjoyment from something I've always wanted. The more I think of it, I will indeed become frustrated in an uncomfortable room or having to constantly switch cues, so I need to go for the 8'.

As per this sketch (http://ca.geocities.com/marvin.gloven@rogers.com/pool/pool.pdf) , I will still have the odd osbtacle to contend with, but they would only be more frequent and more significant with a 9 foot table.

SPetty
01-19-2006, 03:03 PM
Wow, that looks like a real nice setup, MarvinG. I congratulate you on your decision to go with the smaller table. It's hard to do, but it's the right answer in this case, I think.

One more thing to consider: If you do start playing (very well if possible) and join your local leagues and go on to national tournaments, they are almost always played on seven foot tables. There is no shame in mastering the seven foot table, and it would bode well for any non-pool-playing friends that you have come over. You can learn and practice all the same things on the seven footer, and your friends will have more fun and not be so intimidated.

BUT, if you do go out and play on larger tables, it may take a little adjustment for you to become acclimated. But the things you learn on the seven footer are certainly transferable to the larger tables.

Just a thought.